The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

Just now, ZOK said:

Little tip there…load up on potions/meals to give you a buff just before you drop onto the shore, that will give you ten minutes of extra juice.

I think that was what I planned to do when I zoomed out! It’s just…stuff on the horizon looked so fun :P .

After a heavy spell of combat, exploration and exposition, I love trekking to a nice quiet spot at one of the far reaches of the map, and hanging around for sunset and sunrise. I get all existential, contemplating how far from all the action I am in my solitary part of the world, and really taking in the ambient atmosphere. Then, after that short period of mindfulness, I duly head back into the fray.

• 2 weeks later...

I accidentally found an amusing new way to take on powerful enemies the other day. I was near Tarry Town when I was ambushed by a golden bokoblin on horseback, and at the same time a thunderstorm hit. I couldn't equip any metal weapons and was being pummeled, when suddenly the bokoblin's bow started to crackle with electricity then....BAM! Instant lightning kill.

I'm trying to get back into this since last playing it in 2017...:wacko: Finding it a wee bit daunting. I'm not that far in too, I need to find some locations which match 12 photos. I'm struggling to find just one!

Does anyone have any tips to find these locations? I met some explorer who wanted to find the fairy location and who then gave me instructions to find a photo location. Trouble is I wasn't paying a huge amount of attention as I thought his instructions would be saved somewhere... turns out that's not the case? And now I can't find him again!

Don't treat it as a single quest to complete in one go, just keep an eye on them as you do everything else. Familiarise yourself with them and you'll soon start spotting areas they might be as you travel around.

3 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

I'm trying to get back into this since last playing it in 2017...:wacko: Finding it a wee bit daunting. I'm not that far in too, I need to find some locations which match 12 photos. I'm struggling to find just one!

Does anyone have any tips to find these locations? I met some explorer who wanted to find the fairy location and who then gave me instructions to find a photo location. Trouble is I wasn't paying a huge amount of attention as I thought his instructions would be saved somewhere... turns out that's not the case? And now I can't find him again!

That painter dude is usually in Kakariko village or one of the stables.

I wouldn't sweat the photos at this point - like phresh said, treat it like an ongoing side quest. What I do is pay close attention to what's in the backgound of the photos - that usually gives you a big clue to the general location.

Was playing about with this the other day - just wandering. What a world. I’d have loved to have seen it in full 100% only WiiU exclusive mode. With interface always available for switching items on the touchscreen.

I wonder if they’ll overhaul the interface entirely for BOTW 2 given that it’s switch only.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm about 200 hours and 100 shrines in (best game ever btw) and only just found out that the Blood Moon respawns all the monsters I've killed.

I thought they were just respawned during the few minutes the Blood Moon lasts for!

Fucking devastated.

All those lynels. All those guardians. FUCK.

• 1 month later...

Off work with Covid and realised I was dragging out upgrading all the armour to the point of tedium so finally beat Ganon yesterday.

What do I play now? I can’t remember the last time I played a non-Nintendo developed game, it was possibly GTA San Andreas on PS2. Had a quick look at the eStore, Assassin’s Creed Black Flag looks like it might be worth a punt. Any other suggestions?

8 minutes ago, ckny said:

Off work with Covid and realised I was dragging out upgrading all the armour to the point of tedium so finally beat Ganon yesterday.

What do I play now? I can’t remember the last time I played a non-Nintendo developed game, it was possibly GTA San Andreas on PS2. Had a quick look at the eStore, Assassin’s Creed Black Flag looks like it might be worth a punt. Any other suggestions?

I REALLY like Black Flag, it has the ship combat and was my first assassins creed title, no idea what it plays like on Switch, but it’s a fun game.

I returned to this the other week having finally re-bought it, after losing the tiny game cart years ago. Got the last divine beast down and finally enough strength for the Master Sword. Now I've been going around mopping up side quests and shrines. I do think this game is best in class in a bunch of areas, but the cooking and weapon systems are so tedious they hurt my enjoyment of the game - especially at the endgame where even standard mobs become a grindfest. I especially despise cooking, its so tedious, there is no in-game recipe list to update and ingredients for the best food you need to survive endgame are incredibly sparse or expensive.

I also desperately miss Elden Ring's summonable at any time horse. When exploring in BOTW there's so much running around on foot because you left your horse somewhere and you can't get back to it. The only option is usually to plough on ahead on foot which takes forever, or teleport to a stable miles away. This is one of the few open world games I won't rinse everything in, simply because its too tedious scouring the environment . Thankfully the side quests usually take you to points of interest you may have missed.

Right now whilst mopping up side quests I'm trying to make about 20k rupees to unlock the next fairy fountain and buy some lategame armour, but I'm seriously struggling to find rupees. Even selling tons of ore it's only making me a few thousand, and quest rewards are usually shit, like 100 rupees. Have I missed any obvious ways to make bigger money at the endgame?

I do think its an amazing game overall but I really hope they fix some of its issues in the sequel. I hope they make getting around less tedious and have less filler stuff, even if it means making the world smaller and denser.

24 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I returned to this the other week having finally re-bought it, after losing the tiny game cart years ago. Got the last divine beast down and finally enough strength for the Master Sword. Now I've been going around mopping up side quests and shrines. I do think this game is best in class in a bunch of areas, but the cooking and weapon systems are so tedious they hurt my enjoyment of the game - especially at the endgame where even standard mobs become a grindfest. I especially despise cooking, its so tedious, there is no in-game recipe list to update and ingredients for the best food you need to survive endgame are incredibly sparse or expensive.

I also desperately miss Elden Ring's summonable at any time horse. When exploring in BOTW there's so much running around on foot because you left your horse somewhere and you can't get back to it. The only option is usually to plough on ahead on foot which takes forever, or teleport to a stable miles away. This is one of the few open world games I won't rinse everything in, simply because its too tedious scouring the environment . Thankfully the side quests usually take you to points of interest you may have missed.

Right now whilst mopping up side quests I'm trying to make about 20k rupees to unlock the next fairy fountain and buy some lategame armour, but I'm seriously struggling to find rupees. Even selling tons of ore it's only making me a few thousand, and quest rewards are usually shit, like 100 rupees. Have I missed any obvious ways to make bigger money at the endgame?

I do think its an amazing game overall but I really hope they fix some of its issues in the sequel. I hope they make getting around less tedious and have less filler stuff, even if it means making the world smaller and denser.

You'll need to Google this, but you can earn a lot of Rupees by selling meals - however this may not be for you since it requires gathering meats and other ingredients!

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

Other than a quick go on the plateau, I didn’t cook a single meal on my playthrough and didn’t feel handicapped in any way. Just ignore it if you’re not enjoying it.

Yes, I hardly cooked any meals in 300 hours…think I just bought potions off people.

Also I can’t agree that scouting the environment is tedious. I hardly ever used horses (or the bike) because I loved being on foot so much.

Very rarely cooked anything either. I think cooking a salt rock with a fish gave me a massive health boost though, and heart durians.

I bought the DLC as recommended above and had a good laugh watching my hero's path. The lynel near Zora's Domain killed me about 15 times in a row early in the game, then I gave up and did something else instead. Now I'm so powerful it feels like a very different game. Nearly all my armour is maxed out and I'm pretty much invincible. Even in the final battle with Ganon I only lost a handful of hearts.

If you go around collecting luminous stones you can give them to a fish man in Zora's domain and he'll give you a diamond for every 10 stones you give him. Then you can sell your diamonds to the Gerudo lady hanging around the Gordon village for rupees galore! You can sell your diamonds elsewhere but I think she gives you the best price.

Thanks for the money tips. For the exploration the main problem is that its areas with lots of nothingness that I have left to search, like snowy mountains and the desert. I really enjoyed exploring stuff on the horse earlier in the game, its just the on-foot stuff in these quite barren areas that sucks.

In the Tips loading screen it mentions someone on the outskirts of the world who trades in Heart and Stamina containers. I've not found them yet, has anyone here? 

Also do the special Springs like the Spring of Power only show up as names on your map once you find them? I am struggling to find the other two.

27 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Thanks for the money tips. For the exploration the main problem is that its areas with lots of nothingness that I have left to search, like snowy mountains and the desert. I really enjoyed exploring stuff on the horse earlier in the game, its just the on-foot stuff in these quite barren areas that sucks.

In the Tips loading screen it mentions someone on the outskirts of the world who trades in Heart and Stamina containers. I've not found them yet, has anyone here? 

Also do the special Springs like the Spring of Power only show up as names on your map once you find them? I am struggling to find the other two.

The heart/stamina trade thing is a statue on the outskirts of Hateno Village who will take a heart container off you and give you stamina (or vice versa). I never used it, must be for those who ended up lopsided with too many of one and not enough of the other.

The springs only show on the map once found. They’re not ‘hidden’ but take some exploration to find.

4 minutes ago, ckny said:

The heart/stamina trade thing is a statue on the outskirts of Hateno Village who will take a heart container off you and give you stamina (or vice versa). I never used it, must be for those who ended up lopsided with too many of one and not enough of the other.

The springs only show on the map once found. They’re not ‘hidden’ but take some exploration to find.

Nice one, thanks! I'd better get hunting.

Sorry for the spam but I have another question that's popped into my head which I'll spoiler:

Spoiler

On one of the south western mountains there is a spirit deer thing in a pool, which only appears on some nights. The pool is surrounded by cherry blossom and the glowing blue rabbits appear around it. I've had an NPC or two mention it and someone said something about talking to it, but whenever I get close it runs away and dissapears. I did get my photo of it for the compendium but is there another interaction you can do with it?

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

Nice one, thanks! I'd better get hunting.

Sorry for the spam but I have another question that's popped into my head which I'll spoiler:

Hide contents

On one of the south western mountains there is a spirit deer thing in a pool, which only appears on some nights. The pool is surrounded by cherry blossom and the glowing blue rabbits appear around it. I've had an NPC or two mention it and someone said something about talking to it, but whenever I get close it runs away and dissapears. I did get my photo of it for the compendium but is there another interaction you can do with it?

If it helps, you're talking about the Lord of the Mountain.  There is a very sweet (real life) background behind this, well worth looking up - but I'll leave that to you.

Without saying too much, you can further interact with it but you'll need both good stealth skills and lots of stamina.

I went round to see the kids the other day and we were delayed going out as my eldest was playing this, it still looks stunning IMO (esp on my old OLED..) and it was such a great feeling seeing my kids still playing what is for me the best game ever made - they have my cart so i need to pick this up again and carry on with my shrine completion.

Great to read the recent play through for first time on here, I wish I could play it for the first time again - just that opening moment walking out of the cave is enough to know this was gong to be special but I had no idea how bloody special :wub:

Had this on Wii U originally years ago and compIeted it, but felt like I missed out on the exploration side of it. Having picked up a Oled switch recently, i have been replaying it again over the past couple of months on and off and have to say this game is a masterpiece.

The way it's been designed, you can spend as long or little as you like playing it. I've had play times from 10 mins to 4 hours on this. It's a game more about the journey rather than the conclusion.

Ive done all the devine beasts, and am pretty much healthed up now to wipe out Gannon. But am just chilling out seeing what's next on the horizon in search of some more shrines and trying to figure out where the photos are taken for lost memories. Such an relaxing beautiful game to play. Every time you boot it up and start exploring, your always guaranteed to come across something new.

Very rare I play an open world game through once, let alone twice. This has managed me to play through it 2 times now. 

Can't wait for the sequel.