IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

28 minutes ago, Jarik said:

I alternate between hearts & stamina until I fill the second stamina wheel, then focus on hearts until I have enough for you-know-what, then fill the third stamina wheel before going back to hearts.

There's an easy way to get that now, someone discovered it a few weeks back, mind blown!!

• 3 months later...

I'm about to finish this for the first time, and it's an absolute joy. It might not be my favourite game, but I think it's objectively the best game ever. It's almost perfect, but something has annoyed me a bit. I'll pop this in spoilers, just in case.

Spoiler

I've just wrapped up the missing memories, however I've had to Google the location of the last one that Impa shows you on the painting. There didn't seem to be any real landmarks on it, and it was a pretty poor quality image. My first thought was that it would be at the shrine of resurrection, given that it's Link's last memory and there's a bunch of dead guardians up there, but it was just in a random field somewhere. Was there any logic to why it was there, or were there any further in game clues to it's location that I missed? It's left me feeling very unsatisfied, and it's the only part of the game that I haven't enjoyed.

Anyway, if you somehow haven't played this yet, get on it. It's a masterpiece.

I love the game to bits, but IMO it's one weakness is the lack of Traditional Dungeons.  The Shrines are great little tests of your abilities & how you can use them, but the clear dividing line between them & the overworld is rather jarring, such as how they have to deliberately take away Link's ability to climb.

I'm curious as to how the sequel will handle this.  Will there even be Shrines in BOTW2?  It's the same overworld, so will the Shrines now be gone like Age of Calamity (except that one training area) Or will they still be be there but have a different function, such as transporting you through time?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 10:02, Jarik said:

I love the game to bits, but IMO it's one weakness is the lack of Traditional Dungeons.  The Shrines are great little tests of your abilities & how you can use them, but the clear dividing line between them & the overworld is rather jarring, such as how they have to deliberately take away Link's ability to climb.

I'm curious as to how the sequel will handle this.  Will there even be Shrines in BOTW2?  It's the same overworld, so will the Shrines now be gone like Age of Calamity (except that one training area) Or will they still be be there but have a different function, such as transporting you through time?

remember BOTW was built for the WiiU. I suspect we’ll see more traditional dungeon in this one.

Still blows my mind that the greatest game ever made was a WiiU game. 

13 minutes ago, Festoon said:

The "where does the game reside?" is a great concept. Lees is a loss to games 'journalism'.

this is why releasing the 'hero's path' a while after the game release was a good idea...  it would have ruined part of the game had it been available since day one.  

The Hero's Path addition would definitely have spoiled that for sure. Seeing your route at the end of it was really cool, but best avoided on a first go for any of you lucky sods out there who haven't played BotW yet.

8 hours ago, scottcr said:

this is why releasing the 'hero's path' a while after the game release was a good idea...  it would have ruined part of the game had it been available since day one.  

'Release it' ingame as a feature upon completion of the game, or some other milestone (e.g. hours played, X number of Koroks, worldwide parts collected for the feature, whatever). 

IMO this game could really have used a New Game + Mode.  The way it could work is that after beating Ganon you have to option to begin again with the Divine Beast powers (And even the Master Cycle Zero) you'd acquired up til that point.  It would really have changed up the gameplay & made a much different way to replay the game.

One of the things i've never really pinned down with the Master Cycle Zero is just how its Fuel system works.  It's never mattered by the time I get it though, as I have an Inventory stuffed to the gills with pretty much everything, but nowhere to really go, so I just mess around on it for a bit & just chuck whatever into the tank when it runs low.

If it came earlier in the game, perhaps at the very start via a New Game +, would fuelling it be an issue?  I have a vague memory that 'Organic' things don't give much fuel at all but Monster Parts give more & the best things by far are Ancient Parts.  Those things are pretty much in ascending order of difficulty when it comes to acquiring them throughout the game though so even if you did have it from the start you would probably have to ration out it's usage, which sounds like an interesting way to spice up a replay.

Edit: Actually, now that i'm thinking about it, why does it have a Fuel system at all?  You only get it at the end of the game when everything is already done, so why limit it in such a manner instead of just letting the player mess around as much as they want?

7 hours ago, Jarik said:

One of the things i've never really pinned down with the Master Cycle Zero is just how its Fuel system works.  It's never mattered by the time I get it though, as I have an Inventory stuffed to the gills with pretty much everything, but nowhere to really go, so I just mess around on it for a bit & just chuck whatever into the tank when it runs low.

If it came earlier in the game, perhaps at the very start via a New Game +, would fuelling it be an issue?  I have a vague memory that 'Organic' things don't give much fuel at all but Monster Parts give more & the best things by far are Ancient Parts.  Those things are pretty much in ascending order of difficulty when it comes to acquiring them throughout the game though so even if you did have it from the start you would probably have to ration out it's usage, which sounds like an interesting way to spice up a replay.

Edit: Actually, now that i'm thinking about it, why does it have a Fuel system at all?  You only get it at the end of the game when everything is already done, so why limit it in such a manner instead of just letting the player mess around as much as they want?

I think I just chucked a load of Chu jelly in as that's what I had the most of. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm going to do my third playthrough of this soon... Any one tried any alterative ways to play? 

I'm not going to bother with Master mode, re-generating enemy health bars just sounds awful.   But was thinking of perhaps not collecting many hearts until much later in the game, and not fast traveling.  

I'm just doing my third play through - this time with my kids calling the shots about where we go and how we tackle it - and it's just so, so great. It's hardly news, but it's incredible how far ahead of everything else this remains. I'm excited for BOTW2 but also have fingers crossed that this is the year that we start to see some of the lessons of the game built into other projects like Elden Ring.

30 minutes ago, Hewson said:

I'm just doing my third play through - this time with my kids calling the shots about where we go and how we tackle it - and it's just so, so great. It's hardly news, but it's incredible how far ahead of everything else this remains. I'm excited for BOTW2 but also have fingers crossed that this is the year that we start to see some of the lessons of the game built into other projects like Elden Ring.

Sounds like a very similar experience I had with my daughter on my second playthrough - it was such a magical time.

Just got this on my shiny new OLED Switch which I'm very excited about getting stuck into. 

One quick really noob question - I'm near the start, talking to the old man who is telling me how to use the binos to mark the three shrines.

Now I think I have found and marked the three shrines yet when I speak to him he calls me a noob and says if I need to know how to use the binos to check the pause menu. I have three markers on the shrines - Do I just go off and explore each of them or should there be a trigger with the old man that I've missed before I go?

10 minutes ago, Sng said:

Just got this on my shiny new OLED Switch which I'm very excited about getting stuck into. 

One quick really noob question - I'm near the start, talking to the old man who is telling me how to use the binos to mark the three shrines.

Now I think I have found and marked the three shrines yet when I speak to him he calls me a noob and says if I need to know how to use the binos to check the pause menu. I have three markers on the shrines - Do I just go off and explore each of them or should there be a trigger with the old man that I've missed before I go?

I am also a noob who has just begun. Yeah, I think you go off and explore them - that's what I'm in the process of doing.

26 minutes ago, Sng said:

Nope you're all good, get cracking!

8 hours ago, Kingpin said:

I am also a noob who has just begun. Yeah, I think you go off and explore them - that's what I'm in the process of doing.

8 hours ago, Sng said:

You can pretty much always just go forth and explore. Do share your adventures. It’s always nice to read peoples BotW moments, both big and small.