The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

This isn't news to anyone in here I'm sure but I'm doing the DLC (having bought it about three years ago!) and it's as good as any DLC I've ever played. I love the way it's been presented, forcing you to explore, find where it wants you to go and then gives you the best reward in the game - a new shrine! And after three you get a scrap and then the second-best reward. Utterly glorious.

And I thought finding the cosmetic stuff was worth the cost on its own already. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jarik said:

Replaying this again & found a lovely little touch when I got to Rito village.  As it was raining, all of the Rito who would be standing on the platform next to the Shrine were instead gathered on the village side of the bridge where it was sheltered by the central pillar.  They were all just watching the rain, so I joined them it watching it until it stopped whereupon they all returned to where they would ordinarily be standing & we got on with the game.

On a related note, I once had the privilege of actually seeing Kass walk.  At any stable where he plays outside, if it starts raining he will walk inside the stable to take shelter along with everyone else.

4 years on, and this games stories still make me happy :)

On 06/06/2021 at 11:43, Chosty said:

But now my youngest has gone and lost the cart :angry:

Wondering if I can justify buying it digitally, so if the cart turns up I can flog it. I presume my saves would still work OK?

I imagine it would be cheaper buying another physical copy second at this point rather than the digital price (£59.99 on eshop by the looks of it)

17 hours ago, Strafe said:

I imagine it would be cheaper buying another physical copy second at this point rather than the digital price (£59.99 on eshop by the looks of it)

Good point - I'm a bit annoyed that I missed the digital sale the other weekend. I think BOTW was down to £40-odd quid.

• 4 weeks later...

Am on my 4th attempt to properly play BOTW, and am about 10 hours or so in which is considerably more time than I have managed previously.  I can see its a good game, but frankly I find it dull and a bit of a chore.  I would love to enjoy this as most others seem to, but I find it so difficult to get into this.

:lol:

I was chatting to a friend yesterday who isn't getting on with it and it's easy to see why people bounce off of it, especially if you're expecting a more conventional Zelda experience. He got all of the towers, fair enough, but then proceeded to use a guide to get all of the memories expecting that to give him the master sword. He dislikes the weapon durability but I didn't have the heart to tell him that the master sword doesn't exactly solve that (without DLC), or that he'll need a lot more hearts doing the shrines he doesn't really enjoy.

It's not for everyone!

The weapon durability is an odd one.

I didn’t like it at first, but overall it forces you to use different weapons rather than stick with your favourite, and it gives a reason to find every chest and secret area because you end up with a cool new weapon rather than a bloody red rupee. So I’m in favour of it.

On 06/06/2021 at 11:32, Yasawas said:

I take it I can complete the Champion’s Ballad business post-Ganon if I choose? Doing my first Switch run after completing it on the Wii U at launch and picked up the DLC, but it’s kicking my arse a bit and I’d like to save it to come back to rather than keep throwing myself on it. 

Yes - once you’ve done the final boss you revert to the point of your last save anyway.

10 hours ago, marcus said:

Am on my 4th attempt to properly play BOTW, and am about 10 hours or so in which is considerably more time than I have managed previously.  I can see its a good game, but frankly I find it dull and a bit of a chore.  I would love to enjoy this as most others seem to, but I find it so difficult to get into this.

There's an argument that it can be a little aimless at times but if I can offer a bit of advice, obviously you've got the divine beasts to go after but while you're doing that just have a look at the map and see what looks interesting in the surrounding areas. Exploration's the most fun thing in the game, and while others try it's the only game I've played that feels like it truly rewards having a poke about and exploring with interesting, unique things. Because generally if something looks interesting on the map that's because it's been designed to look that way. It's why I discourage using the heroes path until you've finished the game. Because then you can see where you've been exactly and it just becomes an exercise in filling in a map rather than actually exploring and going to things because they look cool. 

And if you don't like the map way of doing things, find a big hill! Go up it. Mark what looks cool in the actual location! Death Stranding ticked similar boxes but aside from that there's nothing in the same league as BOTW as an exploration game. 

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

I didn’t like it at first, but overall it forces you to use different weapons rather than stick with your favourite, and it gives a reason to find every chest and secret area because you end up with a cool new weapon rather than a bloody red rupee. So I’m in favour of it.

It's definitely a bit marmite, but for the reasons you mention i'm on board with it. I do always feel like it could do with just a few more hits from each weapon, although I suspect I would have that same feeling regardless of how long they lasted for.

19 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

There's an argument that it can be a little aimless at times but if I can offer a bit of advice, obviously you've got the divine beasts to go after but while you're doing that just have a look at the map and see what looks interesting in the surrounding areas. Exploration's the most fun thing in the game, and while others try it's the only game I've played that feels like it truly rewards having a poke about and exploring with interesting, unique things. Because generally if something looks interesting on the map that's because it's been designed to look that way. It's why I discourage using the heroes path until you've finished the game. Because then you can see where you've been exactly and it just becomes an exercise in filling in a map rather than actually exploring and going to things because they look cool. 

And if you don't like the map way of doing things, find a big hill! Go up it. Mark what looks cool in the actual location! Death Stranding ticked similar boxes but aside from that there's nothing in the same league as BOTW as an exploration game. 

This post pretty much sums up why some people love it it and some don't. One frustration of the person I spoke to was to do with a quest you get with the Zora's to get some shock arrows (which must be from the Lynel) and he was frustrated that you can't kill it when you only have 3 hearts and limited equipment so the quest was 'blocked'. There are obviously other solutions too, but simply being in a world where every problem (and solution) is presented almost entirely upfront, with very limited gatekeeping behind quest trees and invisible walls is an unusual structure.

On 02/08/2021 at 23:09, marcus said:

I never really got it either and the remaster of Skyward Sword makes it clearer for me why.

Its a novel open world game but it’s not a Zelda game

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Ironically, I think it's more like the original Zelda game than any other game in the whole series. 

Actually that’s probably fair and when I say Zelda game I’m referring to the template first established in Link to the Past.

FWIW I didn’t care for the original either, although I played many years later and after having my expectations set by the later 2d Zeldas, Ocarina and Wind Waker (which is still the best game in the series as far as I’m concerned).

On 03/08/2021 at 09:47, Paulando said:

Also love it in a tough fight when you use a damaged weapon for a critical hit!

First time playing this, I have completed 4 Shrines so far.

This may be heresy but honestly I'm not sure if I actually like the game. I have never been a fan of survival mechanics in games and this seems to be full of them.

So far I think the game's title should be The legend of Zelda: inventory management.

Honestly, I think that beginning section teaches you quite a bit in one go, but I don’t remember doing much of it throughout the game. It’s a very tiny percentage of the full playtime anyway, but the cooking etc does give another reason to explore everywhere.

2 hours ago, Mallet said:

First time playing this, I have completed 4 Shrines so far.

This may be heresy but honestly I'm not sure if I actually like the game. I have never been a fan of survival mechanics in games and this seems to be full of them.

So far I think the game's title should be The legend of Zelda: inventory management.

As someone who felt this on my first playthrough attempts (and consequently let it sit on my pile of shame for years), but completed the game ealier this week, I can only urge you to push on as whilst it might feel like that early on, those feelings dropped away quite quickly once i progressed a bit.

If you concentrate on getting a few shrines under your belt, and collecting enough Korok seeds to expand your inventory a touch, then the threat of 'unfair' death drops away, as does the frustration of managing a very limited inventory.

The game, of course, does not force you to take such a path.  My problem on my previous play throughs was probably that I just went where the quests told me, not prioritising exploration enough, and therefore finding myself attempting difficult tasks with barely any levelling up under my belt.

But as someone who's owned it since release on Wii U, but finished it on switch in August 2021, I can attest it's worth sticking with it.  The last 3/4 of my time with the game were so enjoyable, it more than made up for the challenges of the (roughly) first 25% of the time.

I won't give up on it yet. I'm not dying a lot or finding it difficult, just a little tedious, I have completed another 2 shrines and so far they have all been very simple really. 

I did just finish Skyward Sword with it's magnificent dungeons which I really enjoyed but then linear games have never bothered me, in fact I think the only 2 open world games I have truly gotten into were Fallout 3 and Skyrim and I roleplay quite a lot in those games.

The Plateau is the inevitable onboarding part of the game. It was extremely frustrating as my launch Switch had drift out of the box which led to a lot of deaths and also a Right stick button which didn’t work. Got replacements from Amazon then… I don’t know what happened… but it just became one of my favourite games of all time. The freedom to approach anything however you see fit to within the game’s physics and logic is just wonderful.