IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

I wanted some ancient parts for the bike - so took a wander into Hyrule Castle.  What a place.  Sneaked round the back of the castle and up into room where Ganon's 'roots' are.. then down into the bit of the Sanctum where you can see Ganon but not trigger the end game..

After taking some photos and having a look around, I couldn't resist and went in to kick his arse.  It's such a satisfying and enjoyable boss fight.  It's not hard, but it probably shouldn't be at that point as I'm the baddest motherfucker in all of Hyrule and I've got my hawners as well.

• 5 weeks later...

I've started a new game on this but I'm not really sure if I can be arsed playing through it all again. I rinsed it on the Wii U when it first came out and spent over 100 hours getting all the shrines and exploring everywhere. I bought the Switch version shortly after buying the console about six months later but only played it for a couple of hours as it was too soon since I'd completed it the first time. I thought that now, however, over three years later, I'd have forgotten enough for it be fresh again, but I do find myself a little bit bored while playing. I can still appreciate how magnificent it all is, but the impact is definitely lessened from having seen it all before. I'm playing it on Normal mode again as I tried Master mode when the expansion pass first came out but I found it a bit tedious; it seemed to just turn all the enemies into sponges against the paltry weapons you get at the start of the game and seemed a last way to make things more difficult.

Anyway, I've only just made it off the plateau so I'll keep going with it for a while, but I can't say I'm instantly in love with it again as I was expecting to. I feel like a bad person.

I was saying the other day that it makes me feel like I'm repiecing memories from my youth, the deja vu of an eerily distant time and place, and ultimately depressing. When so many people find escapism in its world, that it has the opposite effect on me is odd. I don't get it from Team Ico's games.

Some people might get those feelings from Ocarina of Time now, but this isn't an old game. It's as if I played it 20 years ago and my brain's lying to me. There's just something about its uncomfortably lifeless tranquility and hazy appearance that saddens me.

I loved my second playthrough and definitely helped during furlough and lock down. I found so many bits that I missed on my first time round. I'm leaving it a little while now until the DLC is on sale or BOTW 2 comes out, whichever happens first. 

• 4 weeks later...

My son's currently playing this through for a third time and still discovering some incredible things. He's just beat thunderblight Ganon and I didn't realise you could flurry rush even that.  I think my favourite thing he flurry rushed was a hinox with a tree as a weapon. 

It's still the best game.

On 02/09/2020 at 18:49, Fletch said:

I found so many bits that I missed on my first time round.

Any examples, out of interest? I feel like I saw all there was to see on my first (100+ hours) play through, but maybe not.

I do think it’s time for another play soon. What a game.

On 29/07/2020 at 04:41, Alex W. said:

I’ll get right on that once I finish driving myself crazy finding...

Hide contents

...the last memory because there’s obviously a different ending if I do that.

I still can't find it. My last save is at the very very top of the castle. WHAT a view.

37 minutes ago, skittles said:

I still can't find it. My last save is at the very very top of the castle. WHAT a view.

If you give the Memory number (1-12 top left to bottom right) we could give you a hint rather than outright telling you.

11 minutes ago, skittles said:

I'm looking for the 13th memory from the photo in Impa's (sp?) house..

I think give me a clue please. :lol:

You will almost certainly have come across field outside a gate where a battle took place, and there are loads of wrecked Guardians...

4 hours ago, ZOK said:

You will almost certainly have come across field outside a gate where a battle took place, and there are loads of wrecked Guardians...

Man, I haven't played the game since finishing it 3 years ago, and that description brought the place back immediately. What a game.

6 hours ago, smac said:

Man, I haven't played the game since finishing it 3 years ago, and that description brought the place back immediately. What a game.

The first gameplay videos for Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity seem to be showing that we’ll get to see some of those ruined villages, buildings & structures in their intact state, which on the one hand is interesting but on the other may just make their ruined status in this game even more melancholic.

Imagine fighting your way up to the Great Plateau, travelling through the non-flooded Archway & wiping out vast hordes of Bokoblins as you ascend the intact staircases & through non-ruined courtyards & plazas as you work your way to the Temple of Time.

• 3 weeks later...

Mind blown! My 8 year old son has just beaten the final trial of the sword. An incredible hour of gaming. Impressed isn't even the word. 

Yoy really are right @Marlew. It just feels so right when played. Obviously why between us we've played for over 700 hours and still playing 3 and a half years later even with a ton of other games to play with. It's still just so incredible.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody explain why there is a rock in the sea at Martha’s Landing beach? I used the ice pillars to get to the edge of the map, which is my location in the second photo, but I have no idea how to interact with the object. I have a feeling I have seen one somewhere else on the map also.  

A66B022B-512D-4488-9222-1F91719F1224.thumb.jpeg.f6512eab2efa2499b1ab2ea8aaeb8714.jpeg

3CDDF614-B590-4B31-8442-6717A6DBEF7C.thumb.jpeg.1577e33e0a2b4889d7c6b56dd3c4c125.jpeg

AFAIK, if underwater items aren’t metallic there is no way to interact with them, & the only place it’s impossible for Magnesis to reach is the Zora Reservoir which is incredibly deep.  Seriously, drop something metallic that you don’t mind loosing (like an empty treasure chest from an Amiibo drop) into that body of water, activate Magnesis & watch it dwindle from sight.

Back to the rock though... I suppose it’s possible that you might be able to use an item held in Magnesis to nudge that rock, though I doubt it would do anything even if it worked.

I remembered hearing somewhere that someone had raised the Water level of the Breath of the Wild map to create something like the Great Sea in Wind Waker. 

I finally found it, it's by a Reddit user named "BennetF" but I didn't realise quite how much effort they'd gone to to relabel the changed landscape:

This is the kind of thing that I hope the sequel does.  Take the existing landscape that we've come to know & change it, either by covering it with water or levitating it into the sky.