rllmuk
revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I've been (re)playing this over the last week (since the E3 announcement reminded me I never finished it the first time) and I love the fact that I'm finding whole areas I never visited the first time round, despite previously doing all four divine beasts and going on a find the shrines quest. The whole world is just huge. And climbing everything never gets old.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Popo said:

Any advice for Trial of the Sword, other than get good?

Git gud, im afraid. I've still yet to complete the trials. Got quite far until a Guardian ruined my shit. 

43 minutes ago, Popo said:

Upgrade the Sheikah Slate Bombs, & for the first few rooms you can destroy the enemies with them & collect their weapons, giving you a good starting selection.  Other than that, patience is good. Sneak around & up on enemies & pick them off.

Mind you, that's only the starter trials.  The medium ones don't give you the leeway to be sneaky & you will have to rely on skill, which is why I've never managed them.

On that subject though, you may not be aware that the trial is in 3 stages & you can leave inbetween them, with an boost to the sword each time, so you don't have to do them all in one go.

I haven't even touched the DLC yet... I think in my heart it feels like I'm saving it for dark winter evening gaming.

2 hours ago, Popo said:

You can neck potions/meals before entering and their effects carry over! :)

Good luck, it's easily doable once you learn the room setups a bit!

• Upvote 1

Hi, how long will it take to just do the main missions without most of the side quests (talking about Breath of the Wild, the main game)? Thanks.

19 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Hi, how long will it take to just do the main missions without most of the side quests (talking about Breath of the Wild, the main game)? Thanks.

2 hours. Hour or more on the plateau, then walk straight into the castle. Easy.

• Upvote 5

...but if it hooks you, you could easily be looking at 30-40 hours and barely a quarter through (I've done a single "dungeon" and still got 2 thirds of the map to unlock!)

It's a game you can play for as long or as little as you like before you finish it, and every second will be a joy.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

WHAT? You serious? :D

Well, I meant the "usual" main story involving the four beasts. That HLTB site helped. Thanks.

Totally - it's designed to allow you to do that.

Are there enough powerful weapons along the way to really do that? 

Ain’t nobody beating Gannon with a bunch of twigs. 

I wonder what the most efficient progression between the plateau and the castle is, in terms of weapons. 

17 hours ago, alex3d said:

About 45 minutes.

2 hours ago, Popo said:

Mind blown!

There are literally only two main quests: 1) tutorial, 2) kill Ganon.

EVERYTHING else is optional.

2 hours ago, deKay said:

There are literally only two main quests: 1) tutorial, 2) kill Ganon.

EVERYTHING else is optional.

Mind blown that you can kill Ganon with sticks, I mean. I know you can go straight to the castle. 

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

Mind blown that you can kill Ganon with sticks, I mean. I know you can go straight to the castle. 

IIRC, you don't even need a weapon. Just a shield.

38 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

I'm just worried we've peaked with BOTW, and every other video game after it will not be able to compare. Like a really fantastic ex.

Albeit an ex you go back to every now and again for a bit of fun. 

• Upvote 4

Super late to the party. I've never been a big Zelda fan as I found the "get sword and do ABC with sword, then get grappling hook and do XZY with grappling hook" sort of gameplay quite boring. Hated Windwaker, thought OoT was okay and ignored MM. But oh boy, what they did with Breath of the Wild is a MASTERSTROKE. An absolute masterstroke. They took some inspiration from Shadow of Collosus, The Witcher and Xenoblade Chronicles and, and I never thought I'd write this, overhauled the actual gameplay of Zelda to give you freedom and simultaneously make you feel at home in this world. This is not easy to achieve in an open world game. Big big credits to Nintendo.

• Upvote 9