rllmuk
revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Was about to say the same, but worried I was going to sound patronising. I whole heartedly agree though. If you don't feel it straight away, then you may never feel it.

I 'felt' the game as soon as link woke up in the chamber.

• Upvote 2

I loved the beasts... just would have liked more variation.  The flying one was too easy, but it was real vertigo inducing being outside it.  Proper sense of place.  The DLC divine beast was my favourite.

Well it must have been a lucky charm posting in here earlier about the star fragment . Got home from work, put on Zelda, and waited at the top of Mount Lanayru... 5 minutes later, shooting star in the sky. 

All clothing upgrades complete ^_^

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, joemul said:

The Divine Beast ‘dungeons’ were the weakest part of the game for me. I just wanted them over and done with. 

Have agree with this. I didn't particular find them to be the highlights of the game. 

Any other game and the dungeons would be considered amazing. I think it’s more that the rest of the game is so incredible that they don’t stand out as much.

• Upvote 5

Just managed my last divine beast (camel). Fuck me, I don't understand how a game so perfect could make such a massive misstep. Horribly designed zone, dungeon, and boss. I'm glad that's over with so I can never set foot in the Gerudo desert again. 

2 hours ago, Starbreaker said:

Just managed my last divine beast (camel). Fuck me, I don't understand how a game so perfect could make such a massive misstep. Horribly designed zone, dungeon, and boss. I'm glad that's over with so I can never set foot in the Gerudo desert again. 

Gerudo Desert is one of the best areas!

With the VR mode added for the Labo VR Googles, there's now a few different ways to experience BotW in VR.

Here they are in ascending order of Price, Complexity, & how good of a VR experience they provide:

On 07/03/2019 at 17:51, SharkyOB said:

The hookshot would be amazing in BOTW.

After having played the game for hundreds of hours, that is the one equipment addition I would want the most.

As for the existing systems, my suggestion would be a tweak to how the clothing special effects work.  I would like for it to take the Final Fantasy 9 'Ability Learning' approach where if you wear a certain clothing item or set for a certain length of time, you could 'learn''that ability & have it active outside the set, or perhaps have the ability granted by a monk in a Shrine deep inside somewhere where the ability is required.  This way, you could have Cold Protection, Climbing Boost & 'Snowshoes' equipped all at the same time, which would make getting around the Hebra Mountains much less of a chore. 

9 hours ago, Jarik said:

[...]

...which would make getting around the Hebra Mountains much less of a chore. 

I thought that was the whole point; making them a chore so you had the experience of hardship and survival in those mountains.

My suggested improvements would be: an even bigger map, proper dungeons and less weapon degradation (but making rare weapons even harder to find). That'd be about it. The game is nearly perfect as it is

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

I still want a no monsters mode. 

Yes, I wish when you get Ganon the world is then peaceful. Obviously you could still go back to a previous save if you wanted to roam a world of terror and blood moons!

12 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

I thought that was the whole point; making them a chore so you had the experience of hardship and survival in those mountains.

I do get that.  One of the most atmospheric experiences I've had in any game, let alone Zelda, is the first time I made my way deep into that icy realm while equipped with the Rito Shirt & Leggings combined with the Travellers Hood, it's little cape flapping in the freezing wind.  I love the way this ensemble looks & i would wear it all the time if I could.

It's when other upgrades such as Stealth, Attack Power or Climb Speed could come in handy that my issues come in.  At first, yes, I can just toil my way up that mountain, through that fight or hunting for food without such advantages or by using temporary upgrades such as Food or Elixiers, but that effect timer stresses me out & no matter what I'm doing, I feel like I'm wasting it.  My only other option is to switch clothing, which often results in Link looking like he's run through a clothesline, & in Hebra, you only have one slot left after using 2 for Cold protection, which usually means headgear, & I hate losing that cool hood which is exactly what I would expect someone in a cold environment to wear.

If, during the late game, you could 'absorb' upgrades like climb speed or attack up from wearing the associated garb for a length of time or it could be granted by Monks or 'bought' with Spirit Orbs, that could provide the same kind of upgrade progression that Zelda has typically been known for, & an environment like Hebra or Gerudo Desert, which was a slog when you first encounter it, you can return to with your upgraded skills, get around more easily & discover more of its secrets.

I think the clothes in zelda were a bit silly, inasmuch as it was dumb that a hat could improve your climb speed, or that armour could make you do more damage against certain enemies. 

Would've preferred things that make a bit more sense, wrap up warm for cold environments at the cost of movement speed, strip off for dealing with heat and increased maneuverability. 

The other effects could've been done through accessories / cooking / permanent buffs from quests. 

I have to say those game-world incongruities didn’t bother me. Too much the other way and it starts to become a simulation. 

Yeah, if a stone statue being fed glass orbs can make you stronger, I can believe that a certain hat can help you run faster.

MAGIC

• Upvote 1

On 02/05/2019 at 17:09, robdood said:

I think the clothes in zelda were a bit silly, inasmuch as it was dumb that a hat could improve your climb speed, or that armour could make you do more damage against certain enemies. 

You've just described every video game ever made.

I am dipping into this again having not played it for months. I had kinda forgotten what I was doing (trying to get into Gerudo I think), so I just went off elsewhere and did something completely different. I finally finished the Divine Beast of the Zora, which grants you a handy technique. After that, I decided to explore the Lost Woods and was pleasantly surprised at what I found at the centre - I will need to return later though. Was also good to finally find Hesu and expand my inventory slots substantially. After that I just warped back to the great Plateau to trade in some Spirit Orbs at the Temple of Time (can never remember where the other statues are) and from there have been slowly exploring various parts of Hyrule at my own pace; setting my own goals and getting distracted along the way. My last two sessions - several hours each - have been following the river from Lake Hylia towards Hateno Village. Stopped just past Duelling Peaks this morning, at the stable, but have found a new shrine, the remains of a village I'd not previously seen, travellers, treasure, plus many korok seeds along the way.

• Upvote 9

I didn’t dislike them, but I think the problem for me was the the whole game was very open and let you do what you want, whereas the beasts, and even shrines to some degree were more linear. The shrines were short puzzles rather than a ‘dungeon’ though.

Thats the only criticism I have of them. 

They seemed like bigger versions of the shrines to me, and I loved the whole transforming thing with each of them, modifying the environment as you go. Why people aren't more enthusiastic about them I'll never know. They were absolute a highlight during my playthrough.   

• Upvote 4