rllmuk
revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I’ve never used Stasis while fighting any monsters, it seems like more trouble than it’s worth. 

Most of the special fighting techniques seem easier to pull off to me than stasis under pressure.

• Upvote 1

I think it freezes them for two or three seconds at the most, I never found it particularly useful; but then that’s the joy of BotW, what works for one is rubbish for another and vice-versa. 

I only found Stasis-on-Enemies useful on Lynels, as it can interrupt their charge for a crucial few seconds for you to get in a headshot, stagger them, & get in some blows before they recover.

I've come in here with my eyes closed to post this - despite having it on Wii U already, I've only just started this (Switch version now) last night, and I want to keep playing blind. I've played about an hour and a half of it, and fuck me if it isn't already the best game ever made!

Getting out of the cave and seeing the world was breathtaking - I already knew the world was huge from the E3 reveal, but having it in your hands is something else. The game then told me to chat with an old man, but I spotted some bad tits on a hill, so I ran over, battered them with a big stick I found on the floor, and ran off with their dinner - this is how you do emergent gameplay!

Whilst I'm still early doors, is it worth buying the DLC now so the game is complete as I play through, or is it all end game stuff? If you could tag me in any replies so I can jump in straight to it without accidentally seeing any spoilers, it'd be hugely appreciated.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

I've come in here with my eyes closed to post this - despite having it on Wii U already, I've only just started this (Switch version now) last night, and I want to keep playing blind. I've played about an hour and a half of it, and fuck me if it isn't already the best game ever made!

Getting out of the cave and seeing the world was breathtaking - I already knew the world was huge from the E3 reveal, but having it in your hands is something else. The game then told me to chat with an old man, but I spotted some bad tits on a hill, so I ran over, battered them with a big stick I found on the floor, and ran off with their dinner - this is how you do emergent gameplay!

Whilst I'm still early doors, is it worth buying the DLC now so the game is complete as I play through, or is it all end game stuff? If you could tag me in any replies so I can jump in straight to it without accidentally seeing any spoilers, it'd be hugely appreciated.

Wait until you've played a load of hours, and explored a lot of the map. As the DLC includes the Hero's Path, which shows where you've been on the map.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Keiths_Dad said:

The main DLC content is mid-to-late game (and some of the rest is best kept until you've been around the world a bit) and is locked behind things you'll be doing anyway as you progress...

...when you choose to progress...

...what's that over there?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

@Keiths_Dad - Wait until you're a lot further in - most of the DLC stuff is for much later on. Enjoy what you have for now, there's more than enough!

• Upvote 1

Finished (for now).

Spoiler

Ganon defeated with just over 90h on the clock. I was planning to do the remaining shrines first, but when I unlocked the final memory it felt odd not to crack on and finish the fight.

I obviously absolutely loved the game, but felt the lack of at least one huge puzzle filled dungeon was a little surprising - I'd assumed that was what the castle would be till I got there. The castle was great too, just in a different way. The other slight disappointment is that the continue option doesn't drop you in a post-Ganon world - that seems like it would have been an obvious way to let you play on, tidying up the world after the bad boss is gone. 

But yeah: I'm sure I'm saying nothing new here. Absolutely amazing game on every level.

• Upvote 1

On 07/02/2019 at 17:44, cowfields said:

I've got all the memories. I've been very methodical at doing everything, I feel like there can't be much left to do beyond find Koroks and Shrines. 

The shrine puzzles are fun enough that I think I could save those, and don't need the hearts I suppose. I've maxed out stamina. I think it's probably time to get back to saving the world. 

Maybe after grinding some armour upgrades and getting 10k maybe...there's so much busy work to do! It's like Animal Crossing. Kind of. 

I’ve heard that before... 

• Upvote 1

On 02/02/2019 at 17:20, Keyboard Koala said:

Damn; trying to get the knight's armour for your horse must be one of the most difficult challenges in the entire game. Think I won't bother with it.

This is the only way I could beat it!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Quick question: how many more hours will I get out of the DLC ?

Really hard to say...I probably spent 8 on the shrines, I haven't completed the sword challenge yet but base and mid must be at least an hour each, no idea how long the top tier lasts. The armour quests, hard to say...and if you do what I did and use Hero's path to explore unvisited areas, add on another hundred hours!

• Upvote 1

45 Hours in, 3 beasts down, accidentally stumbled on the Master Sword (the forest is lovely!) and had just enough hearts to take it! When it comes to the story aspect of the game, is it 4 divine beasts > Hyrule castle > Win?

I just dont want to go in and complete the story before Ive explored everything!

The path to completing the game is technically:

Spoiler

Whenever you feel like heading to the castle. Though you can just explore the castle a bit whenever you like too.

• Upvote 1

Cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure it wasnt "Go to the castle, ha tricked you, now go to the the places where you need 3 other things, then go to the proper hidden castle" type of thing.

Im gong to do another long exploration stint now I think!

I seemed to have ballsed up the Eventide Island challenge on this.

I was trying to get one of the balls into the hole that's slightly offshore and for some reason thought it would be a good idea to drop a bomb in the water near to it, so it would get blasted out of the water onto the little island. But instead it went flying for miles and ended up somewhere in the middle of the sea. (Now I think of it, the freezing power would have been the better option, but in my defence I've never seen a bomb send anything that far before.)

I guess all I can do is quit the challenge and restart it, but would presumably lose all the progress I've made.

Shouldn't it just reset if you leave the area and come back?

Edit: sorry, I misread your post and thought you meant reset your entire game.

42 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Yeah, I assume I'll have to restart the whole challenge. It's not that much but I have cleared out quite a lot of the island already.

Don’t sweat it and reset, you’ll do it much quicker a second time.

• Upvote 1

Just got round to buying this today.  Had a £50 voucher for sainsburys from work for christmas bonus so figured why not.  Hoping I fare better with this than I did Witcher 3 which I kind of just ran out of steam playing.

In a game that's been almost perfectly designed in every way, that damn Yiga Clan hideout stood out like a bastard. It's weird coming across something so backward in a game like this, which is so forward thinking in most respects. Even the stealth sections in Ocarina were less irritating.

Thankfully it's over (after countless retries) and I can get back to good things. Just hope they don't do anything like that again.

• Upvote 5

On 10/02/2019 at 00:23, Keyboard Koala said:

And done!!

Though I wish The Ballad of the Wind Fish would've been hidden somewhere as a delicious easter egg in this stunning banquet of a game

As far as I remember it IS in there.

It’s a part of the medley playing in Zeldas castle on your way to end Calamity Ganon

My daughter's well on with her replay through BotW as Linkle, getting all the armour she can and doing the end-game stuff she didn't do before like powering up the master sword and (in-progress) getting the Master Cycle. She's even found some stuff wandering about Hyrule this time which none of us saw before on the hundreds of hours we've played already.

One of her favourite things is putting sets of armour together, playing with the dye system and making sets which match her favourite weapons, and the Linkle mod seems to have custom armour for every piece in the game (and some weapons), which she's over the moon about.

CEMU_Screenshot_2019_02.22_-_22_03_15_04.thumb.png.84d0de631608623ad05d5c043504dc9f.png

I've disabled rain and enabled infinite hearts, stamina, weapon durability and abilities, so it's just a joy to blast through the best game ever again without restrictions.

• Upvote 5

I'm on my way to the last divine beast now. Still plenty to do, but I think I can safely say at this point that it's probably the best game I've ever played. Yes, even better than Dark Souls.

It's hard to believe the scope of it and just how much stuff is in there. And I never would've expected it from Nintendo. What's especially good is that they so clearly played all the other big open world and ARPGs out there, figured out what makes them work, and then combined all their best features. And yet everything about this stil feels like a Zelda game. Incredible. 

• Upvote 1