The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

13 minutes ago, revlob said:

There is loads we've not seen yet. In today's footage there were glimpses of loads of new characters and story elements, villages and other new locations, bosses and enemies, all of which we'd not seen before.

Oh totally. Even if there aren't dungeons it's going to be incredible, clearly - just really curious if the shrines are their replacement.

As pretty as it is, this doesn't do much for me really. I miss the Zelda dungeons, as opposed to temples that Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword mostly had. Majora's Mask didn't excel in that area. They are named as temples in Ocarina, but I think of them as dungeons in that they're claustrophobic spaces of harsh concrete walls, rather than lavish and epic in scale. Dark, confusing, labyrinths you make you way through over a week, returning to your save point, trying to remember where you were up to.

Playing through Ocarina at the time, getting to the end of a dungeon felt like an achievement, not a place you were just passing through, but this never ending series of booby traps and secrets to uncover, it was like The Goonies or Indiana Jones, the Ocarina dungeons remain some of my favourite moments in videogames. I replayed Ocarina in 2003 on the Gamecube and was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of puzzles.

For all the RPG adventure games that are released, with their vast open worlds, big monsters, and hacking and slashing, there doesn't seem to be any games that bother with dungeons in the sense of them being like The Crystal Maze, one room at a time, figuring out the puzzle, unlocking the door, moving to the next room. I like that pattern of nondescript rooms, where you don't know what each will bring, you don't know where the dungeon ends, and all the time you feel genuinely there, lost, going deeper and deeper into this convincing place. 

the dungeons in Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess are the best in the series...  

This is closer to the original LoZ game - a fully open, go where you want world... but with dungeons.  We haven't seen ANY dungeons or items other than the bow.

There's always a gimmick as well - turning into a wolf, going back in time, flying, sailing, dark world... we'll have the same here too and we don't know what it is yet.

I also reckon the story is set after Windwaker where the seas have receded.

It's going to be GOTY no doubt.

Amazon have made my decision not to go for the Switch easier by having my Wii U pre-order listed at £35 (minus £2 Prime pre-order bonus to come off).

A new Zelda game should deserve a new Nintendo console to play it on, but I am not chuffed with the idea of going well over £300 to pick up the console and game.

Just now, Stanley said:

Yeah why? 

I explained it on the previous page?

I miss the Zelda dungeons, as opposed to temples that Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword mostly had. Majora's Mask didn't excel in that area. They are named as temples in Ocarina, but I think of them as dungeons in that they're claustrophobic spaces of harsh concrete walls, rather than lavish and epic in scale. Dark, confusing, labyrinths you make you way through over a week, returning to your save point, trying to remember where you were up to.

Playing through Ocarina at the time, getting to the end of a dungeon felt like an achievement, not a place you were just passing through, but this never ending series of booby traps and secrets to uncover, it was like The Goonies or Indiana Jones, the Ocarina dungeons remain some of my favourite moments in videogames. I replayed Ocarina in 2003 on the Gamecube and was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of puzzles.

For all the RPG adventure games that are released, with their vast open worlds, big monsters, and hacking and slashing, there doesn't seem to be any games that bother with dungeons in the sense of them being like The Crystal Maze, one room at a time, figuring out the puzzle, unlocking the door, moving to the next room. I like that pattern of nondescript rooms, where you don't know what each will bring, you don't know where the dungeon ends, and all the time you feel genuinely there, lost, going deeper and deeper into this convincing place. 

Obviously you're entitled to your opinions but the dungeons in Twilight Princess are just as good as you've described in Ocarina - if not better most of the time. The Sky Temple is a work of genius the way it makes use of the dual hookshot.

Majora's Mask on the other hand, whilst very inventive in every other way, has only a handful of, fairly substandard, dungeons.

I love the pure clockwork mechanics of the Twilight Princess dungeons, double hookshot swinging and magnetic boot stomping on ceilings and all, but they're basically just extended marble runs.  You almost never have to think about where to go next or make genuine choices.

The dungeons in Ocarina are frequently strange, alien places. They don't feel designed just for Link to run through.

A best of both approach would be cool. 

1 hour ago, MidWalian said:

Game spot reporting Wii U version runs better:

What is going to be the catch this time with the Wii U version versus the Switch version? 

4:3 only on Wii-U
480p output

They did this shit with one of the other Zeldas years ago. The Gamecube version apparently could only run at 4:3, if you wanted 16:9 then you had to get the Wii version bullshit. 

The trailer looks absolutely fantastic though, I have to admit. My interest in 3D Zelda games has waned after Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword being so disappointing after the wonderful Ocarina of Time, but I really want to play this. Even better this time there's voices and proper dual stick control (for the first time ever!), something I've been whining about for ages. If they left out the horrible padding and handholding of the previous games this could end up brilliant.

9 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Whilst I love the art style, the colours look so muted and washed out and everything looks really...fuzzy and indistinct.

I agree.  I was talking in discord about how it needed some darker tones in the shader, as well as some ambient occlusion for darker shadows between objects.

3 hours ago, MidWalian said:

Game spot reporting Wii U version runs better

I think they only played the handheld version of it though, didn't they?  The GPU clock only runs at 40% when using the handheld, and maxes out when docked.  So surely it would play and look better while docked.

There was another video where people were playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and said "it looks slightly worse than the wii u version" but again, they were playing it on the handheld...