Jump to content
rllmuk
revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Recommended Posts

As someone who has completed The Witcher 3 twice and gave up on Horizon about 10 hours in because I found it incredibly dull, I'm happy to say I preferred Zelda to both. I don't feel the need to go into the Horizon thread and insult the people who are enjoying it though. To each his own. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Oz said:

Maybe it's just a matter or taste. The climbing was dreadfully boring to me. I am not even sure you can call that a mechanic as you are just pressing forward and watching an animation while link makes grunt noises. 

That's not how the stamina system works, or the climbing.  You need to navigate your way up mountains and so on by spotting ledges etc. in order to regain your grip. It's unlikely you'll ever just "push forward" unless you want to be reductive by saying that in all games you just "push forward". And then it's how it's combined with running, swimming, flying, combat etc. It a'll uses the same system. 

 

And even if you find it boring, it's not restrictive. Being able to scale any surface in the game is not restrictive.

 

Claiming you can't call it s mechanic is kind of dumb.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Please Stop. Agree to disagee or something.

Alternatively, add to the discussion yourself, or ignore it. It's on topic.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's killed the thread lads. I just bought Zelda, hopped in here to see what the latest was and got met by people bickering about The Witcher. :(

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Naysonymous said:

It's killed the thread lads. I just bought Zelda, hopped in here to see what the latest was and got met by people bickering about The Witcher. :(

Well thanks. I'm trying to have a reasonable debate, I put thought into what I said. But feel free to steer the conversation towards something better. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

It's killed the thread lads. I just bought Zelda, hopped in here to see what the latest was and got met by people bickering about The Witcher. :(

My apologies fair enough. I will take my business elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

As someone who has completed The Witcher 3 twice and gave up on Horizon about 10 hours in because I found it incredibly dull, I'm happy to say I preferred Zelda to both. I don't feel the need to go into the Horizon thread and insult the people who are enjoying it though. To each his own. 

I didn't mean to insult anyone. I am glad you liked it. I did too. I was agreeing with a friend of mine who appeared to be having the same experience as me in finding the praise for the game a bit hyperbolic when I posted here again. I will step away and let you guys chat. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

It's killed the thread lads. I just bought Zelda, hopped in here to see what the latest was and got met by people bickering about The Witcher. :(

Yeah, Oz and Stanley you should apologize this instant for spending 3 pages out of 429 discussing videogames.

 

What. :lol:

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Oz said:

I didn't mean to insult anyone. I am glad you liked it. I did too. I was agreeing with a friend of mine who appeared to be having the same experience as me in finding the praise for the game a bit hyperbolic when I posted here again. I will step away and let you guys chat. 

But you still said it's deserving of "significant praise" that's the bit I'm scratching my head about. I mean no one is saying you can't enjoy The Witcher more, Horizon, or whatever. It's that word "hyperbolic" which I would just say is the significant praise you reckon it deserves. 

 

One man's hyperbole is another's significant praise ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

But you still said it's deserving of "significant praise" that's the bit I'm scratching my head about. I mean no one is saying you can't enjoy The Witcher more, Horizon, or whatever. It's that word "hyperbolic" which I would just say is the significant praise you reckon it deserves. 

Because I agree that it is not the one thing that makes this game. It's how it all works together. Plus the polish for a game this size. No day one patch. Nonetheless there are things I don't like about it. And although on topic I agree that we have killed the thread a bit. But thanks for sticking with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We haven't killed the thread. People who say things like that have nothing better to add. I could understand if we were discussing dog food or something, but we're totally on topic. 

 

Some people just don't like any kind of arguing or disagreement, which to be fair this thread mostly isn't, but you can't stop people discussing games.  

 

No discussion in discussion :mad:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CS2x said:

 

No worries!

 

But what you wrote did remind me of something I was thinking of during that post, which was truly emergent gameplay vs simple set multiple paths. I think both are valid like you said, because even if there are 'only' three or four set options, having those extra options there in a story based game (hopefully in subtle non obvious ways) can do wonders for the sense of freedom in those games. At least for me! 

 

But perhaps it's because I'm playing (and adoring) MGSV at the moment that I'm thinking of the other possibility. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what is happening in the game, but it seems the A.I is allowing for some truly emergent events. That's just with enemies - but Outcast seemed to be hinting all that time ago towards the same thing even with NPCs.

 

I wonder how long it will be before A.I becomes so advanced that a more lifelike spectrum of responses and possibilities will occur in an open world game? It seems to be a more neglected area in gaming development. But I'm not sure if that'd even be fun, or whether it'd benefit a future Zelda game. :)

Yeah AI development and routines is surely the 'next big thing' now in games.  I guess it's the fairly weak CPUs in consoles holding it back at the moment. 

 

But imagine Skyrim in which you really can do anything, so that when you kill a strategic NPC it totally affects how other NPC's react to you, and throws up new story lines based on their behaviour. 

 

The nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor was quite exciting in how loyalty and command would shift. I'd love to see that expanded on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stanley said:

 

Some people just don't like any kind of arguing or disagreement, which to be fair this thread mostly isn't, but you can't stop people discussing games.  

 

No discussion in discussion :mad:

 

I enjoyed the first page of this discussion but when we get into pages semantics about what definies 'hyperbole' and comparing personal preferences it loses its charm for me. 

 

But people get, and want, different things from thread personally I love hearing about peoples tales and adventures from Hyrule and sharing in thier joy.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked my play time on the Wii-U. Spent over 100 hours playing this, and I only played during the months of March and April, then October and November. Figured it was about time I ventured inside Hyrule Castle.

 

Spoiler

I made my way in via a raft on the west side of the map. I entered what seemed like a prison block. Beat all the standard enemies, then a giant skeleton. Earned myself the Hylian Shield for my efforts. 

 

 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Oz said:

No I just disagree with that statement as I think the moment to moment gameplay of both Witcher and horizon is far more interesting, fun and engaging than Zelda's climbing. In comparison I feel Zelda feels restrictive. But opinions are like assholes.

The gameplay of Witcher, a game I enjoyed greatly is literally just start a quest, walk or fast travel to it, use Witcher senses, listen to Geralt grumble, maybe kill a monster, struggle to line up to pick the reward up, return to quest giver.

 

Over and over. 

 

In Zelda, I've no idea what might happen each time I play. 

  • Upvote 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

211 hours played and still getting that sense of wonder as I explore and gradually fill in my zeldapedia.

 

Yesterday just finished climbing a peak just as a passing rain shower created a lovely double rainbow across the horizon, made for a lovely pic. On that note does the switch version give any greater storage for your pics or is there the same overall limit to the number of full size pics you can save as on Wii U?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple of questions that are bugging me massively:

 

1. Where is the Ancient Furnace for the Akkala Tech Lab?

 

2. Is it possible to climb Akkala Tower, or do you have to glide to it from a higher spot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

I have a couple of questions that are bugging me massively:

 

1. Where is the Ancient Furnace for the Akkala Tech Lab?

 

2. Is it possible to climb Akkala Tower, or do you have to glide to it from a higher spot?

 

1. It’s due west of the lab, further than you expect it to be. Make sure you have a torch with you to get the flame back. 

 

2. I don’t remember, sorry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

I have a couple of questions that are bugging me massively:

 

1. Where is the Ancient Furnace for the Akkala Tech Lab?

 

2. Is it possible to climb Akkala Tower, or do you have to glide to it from a higher spot?

Is that the one with the thorns? or all the purple gloop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mwaawm said:

211 hours played and still getting that sense of wonder as I explore and gradually fill in my zeldapedia.

 

Yesterday just finished climbing a peak just as a passing rain shower created a lovely double rainbow across the horizon, made for a lovely pic. On that note does the switch version give any greater storage for your pics or is there the same overall limit to the number of full size pics you can save as on Wii U?

The Switch has a dedicated screenshot which I think you can just use until the internal storage is full. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did Akkala tower recently. I found a nearby high point, used Ravalis Gale and glided across. I think you can work your way up from the ruins but I found it a hard slog with flying guardians on patrol and plenty of enemies along the path, so gave up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Vinz Clortho said:

I see the Great Fairies are as unnerving as ever.

 

That's no way to talk about Stanley and Oz!

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the expansion pass over the weekend.  I was disappointed that the heroes path doesn’t seem to have tracked from the start, despite having only played around 80 hours.  Not sure if I’m missing something but has this happened for anyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Talvalin said:

2. Is it possible to climb Akkala Tower, or do you have to glide to it from a higher spot?

 

Yes it's possible to get up from the bottom. Make sure you've hit all the demonic eyes and I think I used magnesis to carry something around that I used as a platform to make a jump I needed to do. Just watched a video that showed good use of the fact you can climb anywhere that would've been much easier! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bagapeas said:

I got the expansion pass over the weekend.  I was disappointed that the heroes path doesn’t seem to have tracked from the start, despite having only played around 80 hours.  Not sure if I’m missing something but has this happened for anyone else?

It did for me - you defo pressing X on the map screen to see it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bagapeas said:

I got the expansion pass over the weekend.  I was disappointed that the heroes path doesn’t seem to have tracked from the start, despite having only played around 80 hours.  Not sure if I’m missing something but has this happened for anyone else?

 

When I downloaded the DLC, I remember that there was something saying that the Hero's Path can only track a certain amount of steps, and then it will start overwriting from the beginning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.