rllmuk
revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

9 hours ago, bagapeas said:

I got caught in a lightning storm while exploring this afternoon so quickly unequipped all my metal gear.  At that moment one of the Yiga Clan swordsmen appeared in front of me.  Bugger  I thought, how am I going to deal with this?  Just then a big bolt of lightning struck and killed him right in front of me!

Take that you Yiga git lol!

Getting caught by enemies in a lightning storm has happened to me a few times now, so I try and keep some non-metal equipment with me, albeit stuff that does fuck all damage (with the exception of my beloved wooden-but-soon-to-explode Forest Dweller's Bow that does 10x3 damage by firing three arrows at a time).

Even just a wooden shield will protect you against arrows since the blue and white enemies with bows start doing a shit tonne of damage to you. 

On 11/16/2017 at 12:53, neoELITE said:

Nintendo made the best on-line team based shooter since Halo 2 in Splatoon and have followed it up with Splatoon 2. Nintendo don't make games where people shoot other people online so this was quite some achievement.

I love Splatoon 1&2 - it'd probably scrape my all-time top ten. But that's not because it's the best on-line team based shooter. I'd argue that it was fun to play in spite of being quite bad at the "team-based" stuff.

Also if you'd draw a line from Halo 2 (which wasn't even the best online team-based shooter at launch), then you're ignoring (off the top of my head) TFC, TF2, COD (S&D), Overwatch and yes, R6: Siege - it's free this weekend, try it!

On 11/16/2017 at 12:53, neoELITE said:

Mario Galaxy I and II were terrific as was Mario 3D World and Land. Odyssey is an utter zenith of a game.

Odyssey isn't as good as Galaxy imo. I'd say it was arguable.

I 100% agree with everything else you said, though.

I picked up a Switch for Mario Odyssey and got Zelda as part of the bundle and of course 95% of my Switch time has been playing Zelda. 

Now I'm kinda playing it twice because I have my save and my daughter (11) has hers, and I'm having a ton of fun having a Zelda buddy in the house so we are passing the pad on her save while I'll play mine when it's quiet.  Now I'm actually thinking of buying her a Princess Zelda Amiibo, which ones have the best in game unlocks? 

I'm surprised at how difficult this is; I'm regularly having my nads handed to me by the boglins. I need to find some proper armour, this peasant shirt is doing me no favours, although my snazzy bandana does make me look like Dave the monster Perry.

7 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Take that you Yiga git lol!

Getting caught by enemies in a lightning storm has happened to me a few times now, so I try and keep some non-metal equipment with me, albeit stuff that does fuck all damage (with the exception of my beloved wooden-but-soon-to-explode Forest Dweller's Bow that does 10x3 damage by firing three arrows at a time).

Even just a wooden shield will protect you against arrows since the blue and white enemies with bows start doing a shit tonne of damage to you. 

As I recall, the ancient weaponry used by combat guardians isn't metallic - so if you pick some of the better stuff up (e.g. in a shrine), you can equip that.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Vinz Clortho said:

I'm surprised at how difficult this is; I'm regularly having my nads handed to me by the boglins. I need to find some proper armour, this peasant shirt is doing me no favours, although my snazzy bandana does make me look like Dave the monster Perry.

I got utterly destroyed by Boglins at the start. Head to a town and soon enough you will be smashing them all over the place.

On 13/11/2017 at 16:02, Stanley said:

Even in narrative driven games like Witcher I'll be asking, can I climb that, how do get up there, where should I go next, etc. 

I played and completed Horizon after BoTW and it suffered as a result.

I also preferred the narrative in Breath of The Wild, the narrative I made up myself. I enjoyed the places and characters and the things I did more so than Witcher or Horizon.

Sure you know what'll make Witcher 4 better is slowly climbing for one hour so Geralt can lift a rock and have a koro seed pop out. Game changing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Oz said:

Sure you know what'll make Witcher 4 better is slowly climbing for one hour so Geralt can lift a rock and have a koro seed pop out. Game changing.

What would I know? I clearly haven't played as many games as you. You're the expert.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What would I know? I clearly haven't played as many games as you. You're the expert.

Did you play Witcher 3? If so are you serious that without climbing you just wouldn't enjoy it now. Climbing in Zelda is literally pushing forward while you watch him slowly go up. The majority of the time to find nothing of value. Edit: occasionally it would rain so you fall down. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Oz said:

Did you play Witcher 3? If so are you serious that without climbing you just wouldn't enjoy it now. Climbing in Zelda is literally pushing forward while you watch him slowly go up. The majority of the time to find nothing of value. Edit: occasionally it would rain so you fall down. 

You're the one who brought Witcher 3 up in the first place. 

And yes I have played it, and I enjoyed it a great deal.

I've played all the other games you mentioned also. Perhaps I just haven't played them enough, and don't have your insight. Maybe that's why I'm bestowing Zelda with so much "undeserved praise".

Me and everyone else, that is. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stanley said:

You're the one who brought Witcher 3 up in the first place. 

And yes I have played it, and I enjoyed it a great deal.

I've played all the other games you mentioned also. Perhaps I just haven't played them enough, and don't have your insight. Maybe that's why I'm bestowing Zelda with so much "undeserved praise".

Me and everyone else, that is. 

Well maybe not undeserved. I take that back. Maybe the correct word is hyperbolic. I think it does deserve significant praise. But I just do not think it changed the game. Not even compared to dark souls which spawned a new genre. I don't think you will see the climbing in any other game. Because outside of the Zelda context (with the world design and art direction) it would be super boring. Another thing you will not see is weapons breaking mid battle. Because it's bad design. 

1 minute ago, Oz said:

Well maybe not undeserved. I take that back. Maybe the correct word is hyperbolic. I think it does deserve significant praise. But I just do not think it changed the game. Not even compared to dark souls which spawned a new genre. I don't think you will see the climbing in any other game. Because outside of the Zelda context (with the world design and art direction) it would be super boring. Another thing you will not see is weapons breaking mid battle. Because it's bad design. 

So why do you think it deserves "significant praise"? Try steering clear of any hyperbole though.

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So why do you think it deserves "significant praise"? Try steering clear of any hyperbole though.

It's artistic in a way few games are. Art direction, music and sense of place. Sense of wonder and charm. But bad combat mechanics and some bad game design choices such as the weapon durability mechanic. Also archaic story telling. 

Put this on for a dabble last night and was hooked for hours again. Same thing happened this morning.

I'm around the final two unexplored areas, so have one tower left to unlock.

I think playing this through a second time, only taking a different path, will prove equally as staggering.

Just now, Oz said:

It's artistic in a way few games are. Art direction music and sense of place. Sense of wonder and charm. But bad combat mechanics and some bad game design choices such as the weapon durability mechanic. Also archaic story telling. 

How have they achieved the "sense of wonder and charm" you describe? 

Just now, Stanley said:

How have they achieved the "sense of wonder and charm" you describe? 

It is the design of all characters. The colour palette. The restrained choice in music. The sound effects and melodies. The weirdness and charm of some characters and places. The world structure and design. And there is something really satisfying about character movement in all Nintendo games. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Oz said:

It is the design of all characters. The colour palette. The restrained choice in music. The sound effects and melodies. The weirdness and charm of some characters and places. The world structure and design. And there is something really satisfying about character movement in all Nintendo games. 

Lots of games have a great art style and nice music though. What makes Zelda so special? Why does it deserve such significant praise for something we've seen umpteen times before? And what makes the "world structure and design" any different from what we've seen before?

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Lots of games have a great art style and nice music though. What makes Zelda so special? Why does it deserve such significant praise for something we've seen umpteen times before? And what makes the "world structure and design" any different from what we've seen before?

Exactly! I think the praise comes from having nailed all of that which you rarely see. But we HAVE seen it before. And the praise it gets is hyperbolic would you agree?

Just now, Oz said:

Exactly! 

So it doesn't really deserve significant praise then? 

You've gone from saying it's received undeserved praise, then taking that back and claiming it deserves significant praise, back to.. somewhere in the middle.

Perhaps you don't really know what you mean? 

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So it doesn't really deserve significant praise then? 

You've gone from saying it's received undeserved praise, then taking that back and claiming it deserves significant praise, back to.. somewhere in the middle.

Perhaps you don't really know what you mean? 

No it deserves significant as do many other games. Including some that came out a few weeks from this one. It is not the second coming of Jesus but it does deserve significant praise. But I do take back the comment that the praise was underserved that was not the right word for what I meant. Nonetheless I have not changed my mind. 

So are you saying all the reviews and personal opinions for it are wrong, or just that you personally didn't like it? Because the latter is fair enough, but the former is a bit :blink:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Oz said:

I think the praise comes from having nailed all of that which you rarely see. But we HAVE seen it before. And the praise it gets is hyperbolic would you agree?

You added this after your initial reply of just "exactly!" So, here we go.

Yes I agree. It's doing something we rarely see. That is a game designed around all of its systems interlocking and working in unison to deliver a whole that's more than the sum of its parts.

Broken down and taken apart you could say, yes, we've seen climbing and stamina in Shadow of The Colossus, towers in Assassin's Creed, flying in Far Cry, an open world similar to Skyrim. Physics, wind, survival etc in countless other games.  

But that's missing the point. It takes the best of what's been done before and elevates it to levels previously unseen, and in the way all it's systems work together to deliver an unparalleled experience.

The art, sound, control, all the things you mention, all help contribute towards this also. 

It draws a line in the sand that I believe other developers will learn from. It's a landmark title.

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, Oz said:

No it deserves significant as do many other games. Including some that came out a few weeks from this one. It is not the second coming of Jesus but it does deserve significant praise. But I do take back the comment that the praise was underserved that was not the right word for what I meant. Nonetheless I have not changed my mind. 

That doesn't make sense. You said it received undeserved praise and then that you take back that comment. So you have changed your mind. That's what taking something back means. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

So are you saying all the reviews and personal opinions for it are wrong, or just that you personally didn't like it? Because the latter is fair enough, but the former is a bit :blink:

I liked it. I played something like 200 hours of it. I got nearly all shrines. And comments like Stanley's above I can get behind, with regards to the game being greater than the sum of its parts. I just don't agree with people giving it best game of all time a few months since it came out and think that the positive comments tend to get hyperbolic.