rllmuk
revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

The first time I used a boat in botw I didn't know about the leaf so in order to get it moving I built a fire under the sail and the draft created by the fire actually began to move it.

It was a nice first indicator of how good the game was going to be.

• Upvote 8

I liked the time I had no fire arrows but wanted to shoot some explodey barrels inside one of those moblin camps inside the big skulls, so I quickly made a campfire, then just notched normal arrows and pointed them into the fire before firing :) 

• Upvote 4

Yeah but Skyrim is fully voice acted. By 10 people!!!

(You’ve summed up what makes BotW special pretty well :D )

Those areas in Skyrim are closed off though, that's the difference. In Zelda it's one big seamless world.  

I don't think it lacks atmosphere either, in fact it excels imo. That air of melancholy is unmatched by anything other perhaps an Ueda game, particularly Shadow of The Colossus.

I think that really adds to the story as well. It feels like a world in ruin, slowly eroded over the last 100 years yet still with areas of beauty. I'd 

love to explore this Hyrule before the calamity happened. And that's another one of it's strengths as you piece the story together along with the broken architecture. It's all about uncovering the past to discover what went wrong.

• Upvote 3

I'd love it is Zelda had (or has in future games) more interesting NPC's alongside it's wonderful open world. The Tarry Town quest was great. If that had something similar for a few more of the towns that would be amazing. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah you're right, the shrines and Divine Beasts, which are essentially dungeons, are closed off. But they get around that by placing the shrines underground and the beasts themselves moving around the landscape. In the actual overworld it's completely seamless. So whilst Skyrim offers bigger more populated towns, they're not integrated into the rest of the game world the way they are in Zelda. 

You're right they're both great games but I don't think there's anything to lose by discussing what it is that elevates Zelda's world.

2 minutes ago, Delargey said:

I'd love it is Zelda had (or has in future games) more interesting NPC's alongside it's wonderful open world. The Tarry Town quest was great. If that had something similar for a few more of the towns that would be amazing. 

I think they've got the balance about right. Zelda's always been about exploration and puzzle solving, and whilst I wouldn't be opposed 

to larger towns, I wouldn't want them to lose their focus on what makes it unique.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Those areas in Skyrim are closed off though, that's the difference. In Zelda it's one big seamless world.  

Nah the difference is clearly what pushes your buttons as a gamer, tbh.  

13 minutes ago, dood said:

Nah the difference is clearly what pushes your buttons as a gamer, tbh.  

That's preference, yes. But it doesn't alter what I'm saying. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I think they've got the balance about right. Zelda's always been about exploration and puzzle solving, and whilst I wouldn't be opposed 

to larger towns, I wouldn't want them to lose their focus on what makes it unique.

Not bigger towns. but they could have some more quests that efffected the towns in some way.

I’ve now freed the 4 divine beasts but now being a bit of a reluctant hero and back exploring rather than facing Ganon. That can wait a bit longer.

I’ve figured out a few of my outstanding shrine quests though some still have me scratching my head, I especially liked the White Bird one.

Spoiler

I made my way to the top of the the mountain admiring the view and then waiting wondering when the white bird would show up.  Then as scanning the view and the weather cleared there it was as part of the landscape. 

I still keep forgetting about runes and the things that you can do and had never thought of just starting my own fire when in need of fire arrows. And still hamfisted with the controls - whistling when creeping up on enemies instead of changing weapons!

I’m now a bit frustrated by one of the stealth sections 

Spoiler

The lost pilgrimage

So left it there last night.

The game has got me taking the switch everywhere and playing on the commute instead of watching tv in the iPad.  Loving it.  Except this morning where the train is packed and no seats.

• Upvote 5

So after my epic defeat of the flying bird I discovered I have

Spoiler

A brand new ability - creating a gust of wind to float up for a bit! Amazing.

Tried it once and now notice on the little heads up display it’s number has decreased from 3 to 2. Do they recharge or is it literally just three uses? 

I got that technique last week. It's been incredibly useful already!

Buffed myself up with hearty food and defense boosting meals and took down a Lynel last night. It was a sloppy fight but it wasn't the bloodbath it could have been. He dropped me a nice sword, shield and bow.

I met the fang and bone trader last night, but he left without offering to buy or sell. Did I say the wrong thing?

Tried my first Lynel this morning. After 85 hours, I expected to be ready. Nope. Got murdered in 3 hits. Maybe later. 

Might actually head over to do my second divine beast tonight. Keep forgetting there is actually quests to do. 

57 minutes ago, weightgain said:

So after my epic defeat of the flying bird I discovered I have

Hide contents

A brand new ability - creating a gust of wind to float up for a bit! Amazing.

Tried it once and now notice on the little heads up display it’s number has decreased from 3 to 2. Do they recharge or is it literally just three uses? 

A 'bit'? Mate, that's going to help you out a lot in your travels.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, smac said:

A 'bit'? Mate, that's going to help you out a lot in your travels.

Agreed. Just had some fun smashing the shit of a massive bad boy (with this ability) who had killed me so easily before. So much fun 

The bird is my last one to do. Mucked up big time. Where can you get the arrows from that don't cost 600 a piece.

Ancient arrows can be bought at the Akkala tech lab, if that's what you mean. I can't remember the cost, but it wasn't that expensive! You're don't need them to defeat the bird though. 

Do you mean the race or the archery? I found the race tricky at first but after I'd worked out the best route it was pretty easy.

2 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Lol, just tried the horse challenge. Utter bollocks, the horses in this are fucking annoying to control. 

What helped me understand the horse jumping (if it is that bit you’re talking about), is that the game calculates if the horse can jump before it actually jumps, ie you need to be lined up slightly early. If you leave lining up til the moment of jumping, it won’t jump.

59 minutes ago, dood said:

I liked this, there were a good few thing I didn't know! 

Truly a remarkable game.

• Upvote 3

That ice block underneath a guardian trick.. WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS?!  I'm only 48 seconds into the video and I'm already amazed.

Edit:

Spoiler

Dropping your items on the raft before starting the trial on eventide island.. jesus christ, I love this video.