rllmuk
revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Is fighting Lynels a practice thing? I have about 9 hearts basic, plus additional hearts from food, but they wipe those out pretty quick. Should I avoid them until I have more powerful armour? It's pretty demoralising getting killed in 1/2 hits.  

Yes, even with the best gear they’ll stomp you in a few hits. Some tips:

1. Use stasis to interrupt their charge and then just as it breaks hit them in the face with an arrow to stun them. 

2. Jump on their back and hit them 5 times and you’ll get thrown off, draw your bow and get a couple of slow-mo head shots in before you land. 

Repeat this until they die. If you have the right weapons, armour & potion you can kill them in under a minute. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

Is fighting Lynels a practice thing? I have about 9 hearts basic, plus additional hearts from food, but they wipe those out pretty quick. Should I avoid them until I have more powerful armour? It's pretty demoralising getting killed in 1/2 hits.  

more powerful armour will make a massive difference - avoid silver Lynels until you're very confident and practice on the blue ones, like the first one you encounter near Zora's domain.

A good approach is to use statis as they gear up to charge towards you... while they are frozen, get out bomb arrows and smack them right in the coupon between the eyes.  You'll hear a 'ding' if you get it right which will stun them for a bit.  Run round the back and you'll be given the option to mount.  Mount the lynel and smack seven shades out of them until you're thrown off.  Repeat till they die.  If they use fire on you... jump and get your sail out to glide and target them from the air.

1 minute ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I finished the game in the weekend. And avoided all Lynels. 

they drop *epic* loot - I got a sword that did >100 damage from a silver lynel.

Yeah, the swords, shields & bows are some of the best in the game. You also need hooves & horns to upgrade other armour. 

I forgot got to mention, but hits while mounted on the lynel don’t degrade your weapon which is very handy as otherwise you can burn through weapons really quickly. 

I don't remember the one near Zora's Domain that everyone says is the first one. I remember fighting and beating a red one atop a table top mountain out in the tropical southeast. This was very early in my playthrough and it consumed all my weapons and food iirc. Was satisfying to beat though! I met a blue one on the tundra and a silver one near the base of Mount Lanryu more recently. My parry game is pretty weak to be fair. I've watched videos of how to beat Lynels but it looks beyond my current skill level!  

13 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Considering you can easily finish the game without that loot, I don't see them as worth the effort. But that's a personal thing, I can see the attraction of the challenge of them. :)

yeah - they're just nice to have.  It's pretty cool rocking about with a 100+ sword and twatting fools all over the map (until it breaks).  The triple firing Lynel bow is amazing as well.

I’m now onto my final divine beast, which for me is Rudania.  I’m down to the final two terminals but they have me scratching my head - can see what I might have to do for one of them but not how to do it in practice.  I was playing it on the train into work and felt so disoriented when waking outside after all the tilting of the environment in the game!

Still hooked.  Have got Mario still to play but other than an initial go i’ve not been near it.

still masses to explore for me and it seems loads of shrine and even more seeds out there to discover.

For me killing the Lynel at the top of Zora's domain was one of my high points of the game. A kind of don't worry, no matter how hard it gets the systems work and, well, you got this type thing. The loot was just a bonus.

I love killing Lynels, basically. 

• Upvote 3

Is there any point me holding on to all these gems? I have loads of Amber, Ruby, sapphire etc. and I thought at some point there may be a blacksmith or something that can upgrade weapons, or are the gems purely for selling purposes?

21 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

For me killing the Lynel at the top of Zora's domain was one of my high points of the game. A kind of don't worry, no matter how hard it gets the systems work and, well, you got this type thing. The loot was just a bonus.

I love killing Lynels, basically. 

Myself as well, there's the ultimate challenge in this amazing sandbox of a video game and the drama from taking them on - the dance of it all - is precisely why I play the game. To avoid them feels like one might as well just turn the game off from "can't-be-botheredness".

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Malc said:

Is there any point me holding on to all these gems? I have loads of Amber, Ruby, sapphire etc. and I thought at some point there may be a blacksmith or something that can upgrade weapons, or are the gems purely for selling purposes?

Sell them for cash and buy arrows... as many arrows as you can of every type.  

1 minute ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Sell them. Does Zelda even have a proper crafting system? You only seem to be able to craft ancient armour and weapons, and those still cost 1000s of rupees from that one vendor. The rest are used in upgrade at fair shrines, I believe, but you can't craft arrows and weapons and shields while out in the wild. Shame. :(

I absolutely love that Zelda doesn't have a crafting system. This bloody trend of every open world game having to give you tons of complicated menus to craft mostly shite that you'll never need or use is so tiresome.

• Upvote 5

Unless your desperate for money I’d hang on to the gems as some are required to upgrade your armour. Just having it sat there in your inventory is much better than suddenly having to go find 20 topaz or whatever. 

7 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

It's old-hat. This game has been touted as revolutionary, leaving other games behind. I'm just not seeing it. At all. It's an excellent, wonderfully crafted game. But there's fuck all that's new.

fucking hell man. let me tell you. I could not agree more. I really liked it. but is it the best game of all time? @wretcherd

For someone who a week said I wasn’t enjoying this, I beat my first Guardian last night. I wasn’t quite sure what to do so I hid just inside the door of a building and hacked at its legs every time it came close, I also used 90% of my arrows but Christ was it satisfying when I brought it down.

24 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I'm just not seeing it as some revelatory next-level shit. 

Because it isn't. 

You don't half spout some shit.

• Upvote 6

40 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

It's still definitely up there with Mario for GOTY. Don't get me wrong, it's a really excellent game. I'm looking forward to going back to it do do other stuff I have missed. I'm just not seeing it as some revelatory next-level shit. 

Because it isn't. 

:lol:

Oh, you're serious?

• Upvote 2

I absolutely love it and was saying to a mate the other day how I think it's one of the greatest games ever made, but I'm not sure it's 'revolutionary' either. What exactly is it that's never been done before?

I agree it does most things better and the design is much more to my taste than other open world games. Everything is tighter and better designed despite the size and it has Nintendo quality over every aspect which elevates it above other open world games that tend to be quite janky. None of that is revolutionary though, it's just better quality.

I think the term 'revolutionary' is being a little misused. Revolutionary in terms of quality for a game of this size, maybe, but that's a broad definition of the term - it's not exactly doing anything that hasn't been done before, just doing lots of things a lot better.

It's hard to keep everything in your head with a game of this scope so maybe I'm forgetting things but what is brand new never been seen before about it? I think it's just the way it's been done so well, rather than any one thing people will be ripping off for years to come they'll just be thinking that the level of everything in general has gone up.

I suppose it comes down to if you consider quality to be a factor that can be considered revolutionary, I always think of it more in terms of new ideas or approaches. Whilst this implements things much better, I can't think of any big ones that didn't previously exist in some form.

• Upvote 2

I think its revolutionary in that you can literally go anywhere . I dont think there is any other open world game where there are literally no boundaries (outside of the actual extents of the map).

I won't bore people again with what I think of the actual game, but the exploration is  certainly something unique in an open world RPG.

1 minute ago, PeteBrant said:

I think its revolutionary in that you can literally go anywhere . I dont think there is any other open world game where there are literally no boundaries (outside of the actual extents of the map).

I won't bore people again with what I think of the actual game, but the exploration is  certainly something unique in an open world RPG.

Could you not do that in Skyrim? Slightly different, but GTA V's map was open from the start.

I don't think you need to be able to list off new mechanics for a game to be "revolutionary". I would class The Witcher 3 as a revolutionary game for RPGs not because it brings anything new to the table but because it's the first game I've seen that brings a massive open world full of quests and doesn't drop the ball on writing.

It's not revolutionary because other developers will see a new mechanic and start to use it, it's revolutionary because developers will see how high CD Projekt have raised the bar in terms of writing in an open world rpg. 

Botw is the same except replace "writing" for "world". 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Could you not do that in Skyrim? Slightly different, but GTA V's map was open from the start.

It;s not the same though is it. in GTA the world is full of unreachable areas. The equivalent in GTA would be the ability to enter every single building. In Skyrim there are lots of areas  of the map that are impassable. In BoTW you can , if you so desired, explore every single square inch of the world. I think thats fairly unique.

• Upvote 2

I think its revolutionary in the way you interact with the environment. Throwing a metal weapon at an enemy during a thunderstorm never gets old. And starting a fire to create an updraft to throw yourself upwards to get a vertical advantage over your enemies is great.

1 minute ago, PeteBrant said:

It;s not the same though is it. in GTA the world is full of unreachable areas. The equivalent in GTA would be the ability to enter every single building. In Skyrim there are lots of areas  of the map that are impassable. In BoTW you can , if you so desired, explore every single square inch of the world. I think thats fairly unique.

I'm not trying to discount your point as I agree to some extent, but you can't climb every mountain in Zelda from the start - you need the stamina first. GTA has a lot more buildings as scenery, Zelda has mountains. It's a bit like saying every mountain should have a cave or something.

I'm being a little facetious, I suppose they're not really comparable. Your point stands, I don't think it's such a hugely original feature as that 'go anywhere now' feeling has existed before, but I get what you're saying.

14 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I think the term 'revolutionary' is being a little misused. Revolutionary in terms of quality for a game of this size, maybe, but that's a broad definition of the term - it's not exactly doing anything that hasn't been done before, just doing lots of things a lot better.

All depends how you define revolutionary, by doing something we haven't seen before, you could class Quantum Break as revolutionary, but nobody in their right mind would do that.

BotW is a game that developers will mimic for years to come, the same way they did after Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. That's revolutionary.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Pockets said:

There are little barriers absolutely everywhere in Skyrim and GTA5. Skyrim will stop you going somewhere if a hill is slightly too steep.

The way the physics and elements all interact together in BOTW has to be pretty revolutionary in the context of the genre, right? I'm sure there are probably games out there that have fully functioning physics systems, but in the context of a massive open-world adventure game? I remember an interview where one of the devs said they made some changes to the wind system and it resulted in arrows in the world being constantly blown around everywhere. Must have been a ton of work to get it all functioning in sync - everything in the game is rock solid. Look at the way you can kill a fire geese, it lands on the ground, the fire causes the grass to set on fire causing an updraft, and the item the fire keese drops then gets flung up into the air by the updraft. No real impact on gameplay but such a great example of how solid the physics engine is.

The world design and the way it invisibly guides players from POI to POI is easily the best in any open world game I've played. Don't know if I'd call it revolutionary but it has certainly raised the bar in what I expect from an open world, in that I now expect to be able to get around without a mini-map or compass because the world design is so good. Sadly I don't expect many games to reach that lofty target.

Honestly, what even is 'revolutionary' in 2017? There's a reason EDGE dropped that 10 = revolutionary bollocks years ago - it's because it meant they couldn't give any bloody 10s out with such a stipulation because bugger all is truly revolutionary these days. Nearly everything is refinement and evolution.

• Upvote 8