rllmuk
revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

19 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

That might not be so easy to do - I seem to remember reading that the framerate issues in Dark Souls' Blighttown are mostly down to the complex AI pathfinding going on?

But I was explaining something that I've already done in the game, not some hypothetical fix! :)

I imagine using a horse will be pretty essential on Master mode, escaping tough enemies is a lot easier that way!! 

Aside: does that Hylian shield ever break?  I had a heart-stopping moment vs thunerblight boss after dropping it from electrocution and not being able to find it!!  Magnesis saved me though

5 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Oh really? Huh. Horses are smart.

Yup, sometimes you get a message like "It looks like horsey can't find its way to you" which means there's not a flat enough path, but geenrally if you call them every few mins they follow around nicely. 

6 hours ago, Fletch said:

It's been said that the glide/climb mechanic has ruined other open world games which I totally agree with but in a roundabout kind of way it's ruined Breath of the Wild slightly as when I'm scampering about and climbing vertical cliff faces getting to the top of things and gliding off to my next destination I notice that there is usually a 'correct' way up to the summit usally a winding path or something and I don't ever use them. It's not a complaint from me at all as the game and it's movement mechanics are bloody brilliant but just an observation on how it's completely up to the player how the traverse the world.

Prototype did that and, to a lesser extent, Just Cause. It's in context. I think it's the best dynamic in a game ever. I remember how frustrating Twilight Princess was in Hyrule Field when you couldn't even make Link climb something that wasn't even as tall as a Korok. Being able to go anywhere meant the game is not on rails and sequenced. The first thing I do in open World games is to try and climb the highest thing I can see or get to places I shouldn't be able to go to or try and hit the walls in the game and this didn't make me want to do that as I could basically go anywhere immediately (with potions). 

I got into a fight with a creature last night, threw a bomb to buy me a few seconds, which promptly hit a tree, knocking it down and hitting the creature on the head, killing it.

This game! 

I don't think I've used a horse since that very first time you encounter them and are taught how to capture/tame them. I find I'm constantly wandering off the beaten path and see so much stuff I'd miss otherwise. 

• Upvote 3

Such a shame there is no video sharing on the Switch for some of these moments :(

I had one the other day where I was smacking one of those large flat metal things to reveal a Korok seed and without me even knowing he was there it flew off and landed on the face of a sleeping Hinox :lol:

• Upvote 5

Did the easy trial of the sword earlier and quickly realised that it's safe to burn off the useless equipment you get from the first couple of rooms. I gave up trying to do it without stasis/magnesis/bombs/cryonis as it was just too hard. Did about half the middle trial but had other stuff to do so I'll try that again tomorrow as I'll need an hour or two free to complete it. 

6 hours ago, kyletherobot said:

I just got caught out in a thunderstorm whilst walking the dog, my first thought was to unequip my sword, shield and bow...

Walking the dog??!!!! WHAT

16 hours ago, Fatsam said:

Horse combat is very cool. Riding around on them is cool.

It's just a shame that getting your horse is a little bit of an arse resulting in me barely using them. There's some line in the game about having to be near to a horse for it to hear you and come. "It's not magic" you are told. I think it should have been magic like the previous games.

Imagine gliding down from up high and doing a whistle in the air for you horse to gallop out of nowhere so you could land on them and ride on at full pelt. It would have been amazing. There's the issue of where are they going to come from when you can see such a wide area, but that could easily be solved by having them warp in.

I think I'd have done a bit less Link warping around if Epona, Darwin, or Mr Scooty had appeared quickly and when I wanted.

I like the fact that horses can't magically appear anywhere.  It was always jarring in Witcher 3.  I think it makes traversal more interesting and strategic.  Also it makes horsey more tangible, if your vehicle was a magic cloud then it would make sense for it appear anywhere on demand.  The link to real world expectations including the excellent physics makes this game special.

10 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Such a shame there is no video sharing on the Switch for some of these moments :(

I had one the other day where I was smacking one of those large flat metal things to reveal a Korok seed and without me even knowing he was there it flew off and landed on the face of a sleeping Hinox :lol:

Smacking it? Not just lifting it with Magnesis?

19 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Nope, it was one of those weird flat rock things rather than metal I guess as you stasis it rather than lift with magnesisis!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

That's right because some seeds are hidden under huge rock slabs (rather than metal plates. 

11 hours ago, Strafe said:

Walking the dog??!!!! WHAT

Did he befriend one in order to get it to point out treasure? I never managed it - dog would pad after me for 20 paces or so, then get bored and piss off back to the stable.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Nope, it was one of those weird flat rock things rather than metal I guess as you stasis it rather than lift with magnesisis!

I've always used Octorok balloons to shift those - I seldom use stasis, just seems a bit unpredictable to me :)

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, smac said:

Did he befriend one in order to get it to point out treasure? I never managed it - dog would pad after me for 20 paces or so, then get bored and piss off back to the stable.

You just feed them  til they walk off by themselves, dude. :)

33 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I've always used Octorok balloons to shift those - I seldom use stasis, just seems a bit unpredictable to me :)

Mind Blown. 

I am carrying approx. 300 octorok balloons.  I've only used 3, for a sidequest. 

2 minutes ago, dood said:

Mind Blown. 

I am carrying approx. 300 octorok balloons.  I've only used 3, for a sidequest. 

Absolutely love this - I felt the same when @Shimmyhillsaid he used stasis on them. 

THIS FUCKING GAME. 

I'd love nothing more than to sit in a pub and swap Zelda stories, hearing all the weird and diverse ways people found to approach different situations. 

• Upvote 3

D'oh! You mean I could have avoided trashing all of those weapons I broke through hammering away at a stasis-held rock covering an entrance, Korok or chest?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

I'm pretty sure kyletherobot was talking about walking an IRL dog you guys. Or else the anecdote was about thinking of Zelda-related actions while playing Zelda, which isn't quite as funny.

:doh: So fucking obvious, now!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

I'm pretty sure kyletherobot was talking about walking an IRL dog you guys. Or else the anecdote was about thinking of Zelda-related actions while playing Zelda, which isn't quite as funny.

I got that, sheesh.  I think everyone did.  Lol at @smac though :D