revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

3 hours ago, scottcr said:

I cant figure out the very last bit of that shrine! 

Huh? The bit where 

Spoiler

The spikes chase you? There's nothing to 'work out'? 

20 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

How substantial is the new DLC? How many new shrines/quests?

Hard to say as I'm not finished.  From what I know so far.. 

Spoiler

You get 4 new shrines at the Great Plateau, with a one hit kills twist (for both you and the enemies). 

After that you get four new monuments in each Divine Beast area, which give clues to three hidden shrines in each. 

That's as much as I know right now, I'm guessing there's abother divine beast after that though.

Its taken me about 8 hours to do the plateau and 2 of the monument things. 

Hope that helps! 

The shrines have been really good, some decent puzzling for sure. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, dood said:

Oh and one more thing. Been mopping up the EX armour quests... 

Spoilers! But how fucking badass am I? 

Hide contents

Recognize it? :D

rps20171209_201701.thumb.jpg.125d9dd6e2c3f2d1861e98b85637fef8.jpg

Oh man it has a proper massive cape which looks amazing. 

Reached the last part of the DLC. 

I'm kind of miffed I know what I'm going to get though. Thanks Nintendo, for putting it in the Zelda news thumbnail on release day! Twats. 

Bit disappointing that there’s only about a day’s worth of content. Not what I was expecting at all, though I can appreciate how much work must go into these things. I think I’ll probably hold off. Got lots on the go at the moment.

I'm confused by both parts of DLC, really. They suggest that Nintendo have somehow misunderstood the main appeal of the game. It's not the combat, or the shrines, it's the sense of discovery, and none of the DLC recaptures that.

• Upvote 6

I mean, I love me a good shrine - and that kind of puzzling is largely non-existent in games these days. It’s one of the things I love about the game. And apart from the crappy combat shrines, designing that number of shrines must have been no feat. But yeah, I can totally see where you’re coming from. My interest and excitement for the game definitely went down hill once I’d discovered every area of the map. 

I was was hoping that you’d be playing through the world as it was 100 years ago - or at least parts of it. But I guess that’s too much to ask for. 

I’ve still got 30 shrines yet so feel I’ve got plenty to do without spending £20 on this stuff, none of which particularly appeals to me. The Champions’ voice acting and backstories were so poor that I have no interest in learning more about them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

29 minutes ago, Cappuccino Kid said:

I'm confused by both parts of DLC, really. They suggest that Nintendo have somehow misunderstood the main appeal of the game. It's not the combat, or the shrines, it's the sense of discovery, and none of the DLC recaptures that.

Well unless you've scoured every last inch of the map that sense of discovery is still there. And even if you have they've added new quests with new things to discover. 

I think expecting them to recreate the entire map as it was 100 years earlier is kind of insane. It would be like designing the entire game again from scratch.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Champion's ballad was described as a "new, original story." Not hard to get your hopes up when you get that description.

Instead it sounds like everything basically just fits into the endgame of the existing one. More rubbish cutscenes. All the good stuff spoiled in the trailer.

If the flashbacks were at least playable, letting you see some of the areas as they were before the calamity, that would have been great.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I tell you something that would've made master mode a bit better.. If they'd flipped the map like they did in twilight princess gc/wii versions. 

Anyway. Just finished the dlc, it's probably taken me about 15 hours. 

Spoiler

The last divine beast and boss was pretty good. 

The shrines along the way were good, some of them were probably the trickiest ones I encountered in the game, in a good way! 

The additional memories etc were same standard as the main game, ie pointless waffle. Bleh. 

The bike is hilarious. Looks cool as fuck but is actually a lot slower than I expected. I was hoping it'd have some turbo function or something! It is possible to use ingredients to fuel it, so perhaps there's a way to do that, might experiment. 

A bit gutted we don't permanently get the obliteration stick, and the loot upgrades you gain from each divine beast area are a little disappointing (basically reduced cool down on the champion powers).  Shame there's no new weapons or anything. 

But I did enjoy it overall, it had some neat sub quests and I ended up stumbling across some vanilla  shrines I'd missed along the way! :)

I’m at the stage of the game where I did a raid on Hyrule castle to get the final photograph, and now have yet another photograph to find. Also building Tarrey Town by getting wood orders and being told to find a different person of each race... I’ve resorted to using a guide.

I would never have explored the South Goron mine, not for hours, for instance. I love the game, but also feel like a lot of it is a chore - the DLC sounds like I’ll hate it - I’m developing a real dislike for enforced, extremely difficult games. Life is too short for that shit.

29 minutes ago, Delargey said:

The spike level is a right bastard.

Once you've done it I guarantee you could complete it over and over in a minute or so. It's hard because it removes the safety net. It's the fear of it being difficult rather than it actually being hard to complete. It's pretty easy.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

The Champion's ballad was described as a "new, original story." Not hard to get your hopes up when you get that description.

Instead it sounds like everything basically just fits into the endgame of the existing one. More rubbish cutscenes. All the good stuff spoiled in the trailer.

If the flashbacks were at least playable, letting you see some of the areas as they were before the calamity, that would have been great.

Ack, it's more of the same fantastic game. Everything I've played so far is easily up to that standard.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Once you've done it I guarantee you could complete it over and over in a minute or so. It's hard because it removes the safety net. It's the fear of it being difficult rather than it actually being hard to complete. It's pretty easy.

That's what fucks me up I crack like a egg in a tumble dryer and forgot how to walk straight.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

It really is. I've been playing HZD for the first time recently on the PS4 Pro and it's great fun, fantastic game in the FC3 mould, superb combat, pleasant story and it looks jaw dropping. Truly a stunning game, and not a patch on BotW. 

19 minutes ago, Delargey said:

That's what fucks me up I crack like a egg in a tumble dryer and forgot how to walk straight.

I was the same. Got right to the end of it on my first go but panicked and walked off a ledge. After that I fell to pieces for a good few goes dying every step of the way. Eventually I just said, right let's do this, and completed it swiftly without any issues. 

38 minutes ago, Starbreaker said:

Okay so I bought a Switch yesterday and having never played a Zelda got this too. I loved Horizon earlier this year and when the antagonistic back-and-forthing was going on I got really wound up about it - Horizon was a great game and I didn't like it being looked down on. 

But this is just... Something else entirely. I want to bottle every second, everything about it is utterly magnificent. I'm only a few hours in but it might be the best game I've ever played. 

The first 20 hours or so, when you’re discovering everything, is amazing, it does dip after that though. It’s still magnificent, but not quite as magnificent as first appears imho. There’s repetition, cut corners and frustrating mechanics. Still GOTY.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

The first 20 hours or so, when you’re discovering everything, is amazing, it does dip after that though. It’s still magnificent, but not quite as magnificent as first appears imho. There’s repetition, cut corners and frustrating mechanics. Still GOTY.

I think that's a bang on assessment of it.

I'd love to see them do the same thing, just in a more interesting world. More fleshed out sidequests and characters. And there were so many moments early on when I noticed a strange bit of scenery or something and then I'd go there and it would always be one of two things - a shrine or a korok seed. I initially though Korok seeds were basically a compromise for something more interesting, but given there's 900 of the bloody things, I can't help but wonder (based on my non-existent knowledge of game development) if they couldn't have spent that time on making 50 or 100 things which were more interesting.

I remember finding the old temples somewhere in the south. Full of ancient walker things trying to zap you. Then you get all the way to the end of that amazing structure and it's just another shrine. Disappointing.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I think it gets better and better the more you play. Not sure what these cut corners and frustrating mechanics are but there you go.

• Upvote 6

New DLC question:

Spoiler

I've done the stuff on the plateau (very easy, apart from the spiky magnesis shrine) and have now moved onto the other stuff. I decided to do the gerudo area first, and found the monument thing showing the pictures of where to search. The first one appears to be in (or near) the place where you fight the boss of the yiga clan, but I can't see anything there. Am I looking in the wrong place, or is there something else I need to do first?

My adventure in Hyrule Castle by Link, aged 100something

Yep, I went for it! I awoke back in Hateno village stood on the top of a chimney for some reason, then teleported off to Central Hyrule tower to start my run at the castle. The lady at the stable said there were various ways of getting in there but none of them were 'like a coward' so I decided to do it like a Zora instead because I had that fishy armour and reckoned I could flap up some waterfalls when I got there, so off I went sans horsey - I've not got a good record with keeping horses alive (RIP Clarky) - off over Hyrule Field, watching out for Guardians on the way as I'd run out of Ancient Arrows. Unfortunately I got spotted by one and had to leg it, getting pasted by laser beams all the way, but when I got to the crest of a hill I jumped on my shield and surfed down the hillside, feeling like a total boss until I bumped into a tree and got incinerated by the laser beam. Thankfully my ghostly fishwife saved me with her special power and I got up to fight another day, running into the shade of a nearby forest and hiding beneath a log.

After several hours I popped my head out of cover and ran off over a bridge to the opposite side of the big river thing (can't remember the name), then jumped off a cliff and sailed across to an island in the middle of the mighty torrent, where I found a mountain covered in thorns and set fire to it. Set fire to a mountain. This game. There was a bombable rock in the middle of the mountainside and I blasted it open to find a secret cave full of treasure and barrels of apples and a secret shrine which was literally a load of balls. After earning myself another spirit orb I set off through a small forest and spied another Guardian creeping about in the distance, which I had to avoid since I didn't have any - oh wait, I actually did have a few Ancient Arrows but I didn't spot them eariler when I was flapping about playing at shield surfing. Oh well. I climbed the nearby rock formation and prepared to carefully glide down and snipe the Guardian from above, but got distracted by a big rock man who popped out of the ground and made me lose my footing, so I landed in a crumped heap at the foot of the Guardian, thought 'oh, bollocks', pulled out my bow and shot him in the face with my Ancient Arrow, resulting in a lovely explosion and lots of bits to pick up.

After all that I found a raft on the riverbank which I wafted over to a likely-looking passage in the side of the Hyrule Castle bedrock and found myself at the docks. Then that music started, holy shit, that music, and I got distracted and a couple of Electric Lizard Lads beat me up and I died. But no fear, I was soon back at the docks and gave them a taste of their own medicine with some judicious use of ice arrows, and I made my way up some stairs to find a suspiciously unlit brazier which revealed a hidden shrine when I ignited it. Classic Zelda puzzle for you there. Can't remember what was in this shrine but I now had a teleportation spot so I could pop in and out of the castle whenever I wanted; perfect for the lazy adventurer that I am. Hyrule Castle itself was a fantastic environment; I battled Lizards in the Library, went head to head with big brown Moglins (and managed to beat them without dying) and found some amazing weapons in there, including a GIANT FUCKING FROSTBLADE and THE ROYAL GOD DAMN CLAYMORE, which I had no hesitation in using to bat about the Mogs.

I reached the Dining Hall and managed to pick off two Mogs at a time, but then noticed there were another four of the bastards hanging around near the fireplace so I did what any sensible adventurer would do and snuck around in a crouch, pissing my pants and whispering prayers to the Goddess Hylia under my breath as I slowly emptied the banqueting tables of all their delicious food. Maybe they'll just die of hunger if I leave them for a while, like in a Hideo Kojima game. I heroically crawled out of the Dining Hall to the outside of the castle where the music got even more amazing, then spotted a nearby waterfall, which reminded me that I was supposed to be doing this like a Zora, so I leapt off the side to find that the waterfall didn't make it all the way to the pool below and I was stranded like a plum, so I teleported away, back to the safety of the Riverside stable again. Some woman in there wanted me to show her my Royal equipment, so I let her twang on my bow string and now I think she might be pregnant.

I did some of Death Mountain too last night but my fingers are tired now. Until next time!

• Upvote 6

31 minutes ago, dug said:

New DLC question:

Hide contents

I've done the stuff on the plateau (very easy, apart from the spiky magnesis shrine) and have now moved onto the other stuff. I decided to do the gerudo area first, and found the monument thing showing the pictures of where to search. The first one appears to be in (or near) the place where you fight the boss of the yiga clan, but I can't see anything there. Am I looking in the wrong place, or is there something else I need to do first?

You must be slightly in the wrong place. There's an obvious looking blue circle thing when you get to that one. 

dood, I think you may be mixing that one up with another:

Spoiler

The Yiga clan hideout one isn't the blue circle. dug, it sounds like you're in the right place (big arena with a hole in the middle, right?). Just have a look around- maybe you'll find someone to talk to.

I'm enjoying the DLC so far! Only done the initial challenge and one of the subsequent "branches" but it's been interesting and I'm very happy to have more shrines, one of my favourite bits of the game.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, joeplus said:

dood, I think you may be mixing that one up with another:

Hide contents

The Yiga clan hideout one isn't the blue circle. dug, it sounds like you're in the right place (big arena with a hole in the middle, right?). Just have a look around- maybe you'll find someone to talk to.

Spoiler

Ahhh, the treasure hunters saying that the yiga nicked a thing from the Gerudo? I did talk to them but assumed it was a separate quest, unrelated to the dlc. Then I went inside all Billy Big Bollocks, thinking I'm so strong I don't need to bother with all this stealth rubbish, and promptly got killed by a big yiga dude. :facepalm:

Oh flipping heck!! Sorry @dug!!  I blame my fever over the last couple of days!! It had me stumped for a while too, that one!! 

I'm going out of my mind trying to find a stupid Voltfin for that final korok trial.  I've never seen one.  I even just spen best part of 8000 rupees on a complete bestiary from Akala..  :angry: