revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

4 minutes ago, VN1X said:

No hyperbole but this is honestly one of the most beautiful looking games I've ever seen. The lighting, animations, and weather effects all blow my mind at times. And I love how something like a rainstorm, which ordinarily is just that; a weather effect, actually causes characters (and cattle?) to take shelter. Or that the windmills only turn when it's windy out. Even crops in villages will sway as the wind picks up. It's touches like that which really make the world come alive. They've truly poured their hearts and souls into this game and it shows.

I tell ya, I've not been this transfixed to a screen in quite some time. I'm completely oblivious as to what's going on around me. I even forget to eat and drink ffs! It's just totally engrossing in each and every way. I love it! 

Youre quote right. 

Now think of that and look at the size of the console it's running on. I can't quite get my head around it. It's so so small. 

• Upvote 4

I'm trying to learn how to perfect guard against beam attacks but I'm struggling. The beam comes so fast I've got no idea how to tell when to hit the a button. Any tips?

13 minutes ago, VN1X said:

No hyperbole but this is honestly one of the most beautiful looking games I've ever seen. The lighting, animations, and weather effects all blow my mind at times. And I love how something like a rainstorm, which ordinarily is just that; a weather effect, actually causes characters (and cattle?) to take shelter. Or that the windmills only turn when it's windy out. Even crops in villages will sway as the wind picks up. It's touches like that which really make the world come alive. They've truly poured their hearts and souls into this game and it shows.

I tell ya, I've not been this transfixed to a screen in quite some time. I'm completely oblivious as to what's going on around me. I even forget to eat and drink ffs! It's just totally engrossing in each and every way. I love it! 

I'm just putting lunch on... :S

• Upvote 1

You definitely need some ore for later on. Sell some for the rupees by all means (amber is plentiful and you get 30 rupees a pop for example).  But just now I upgraded a really good piece of clothing I found and needed two bits of diamond. I had exactly two in my inventory. So make sure to hang on to some of each too. 

Did the Minor Combat Trial earlier, I'm going to seriously struggle against anything more advanced. 

Definitely need to really work on the timing for dodging & parries. 

Could someone give me some advice about the korok seed stuff?

Spoiler

Where do I find Hetsu?! He/she mentioned going back to his/her village but I forgot the directions. Anyone give me vague directions without spoilery details? Eg 'roughly north from Kakariko village' or whatever.

So the parental app says 5 hours played today but I did install the app a while after I started playing...

Back to work tomorrow :( what a ride it's been these past few days, reminds me of the N64 and Xbox launches such has been the excitement and quality of this game!

Two further magic moments, spoiler on two shrines close to each other up a mountain..

Spoiler

Where you have to recreate the pattern in one in the other and vise versa except I miss read it and thought I had to go to the higher one to solve the lower one.. screenshot use worked a treat but I hadn't got a pic of the lower one to solve the other one! Got the sceeen grab and then had to make my way back up but I didn't have the stamina or enough food/elixir to do it - got myself on a ledge and made a fire but turns out you can't cook recipes on a fire so had to abandon it. I then decided to quick travel to the start area to cook and have a nose around with the plan to return loaded with enhanced food!

A good 20 mins passed before it clicked that I could just fast travel back to the shrine!! :facepalm:

If you come a holy grail camp of sleeping enemy and exploding barrels sneak some barrels by their weapons cache and lay a remote bomb there... pick a good viewing position and make some noise and let the fun times roll 8-)

19 minutes ago, Flub said:

I'm trying to learn how to perfect guard against beam attacks but I'm struggling. The beam comes so fast I've got no idea how to tell when to hit the a button. Any tips?

I think I'm getting the hang of it

4oy3uDn.jpg

• Upvote 5

44 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Hide contents

Where do I find Hetsu?! He/she mentioned going back to his/her village but I forgot the directions. Anyone give me vague directions without spoilery details? Eg 'roughly north from Kakariko village' or whatever.

North east of field by stables

Who was asking about rock circles in the water? Nailed it 

45 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Two further magic moments, spoiler on two shrines close to each other up a mountain..

Hide contents

Where you have to recreate the pattern in one in the other and vise versa except I miss read it and thought I had to go to the higher one to solve the lower one.. screenshot use worked a treat but I hadn't got a pic of the lower one to solve the other one! Got the sceeen grab and then had to make my way back up but I didn't have the stamina or enough food/elixir to do it - got myself on a ledge and made a fire but turns out you can't cook recipes on a fire so had to abandon it. I then decided to quick travel to the start area to cook and have a nose around with the plan to return loaded with enhanced food!

A good 20 mins passed before it clicked that I could just fast travel back to the shrine!! :facepalm:

I've recently done those two shrines as well.. however were there any bonus treasure chests in them (like all the others)? If so I couldn't find them.

3 hours ago, Fitzcarraldo said:

I'm going to force myself to use the bombs less often going forward because I'm finding them to be very powerful - too powerful? - in combat. I'll still roll them down a hill into an enemy camp and enjoy the chaos, though.

I murdered a gigantic ogre today by running around in a circle, dropping a bomb and exploding it under his big hairy ogre balls as he simply followed me. It took about ten minutes. He did try and kill me with a tree trunk but he was a terrible shot. He dropped some bananas and a toe nail.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, U-1 said:

I've recently done those two shrines as well.. however were there any bonus treasure chests in them (like all the others)? If so I couldn't find them.

Yes

Spoiler

One each as far as I could see, you have to go up the 'lift' jump off and float round the side to get it - same method on both.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Hide contents

I posted this earlier:

Fast travel to the Wagho Katta Shrine in Central Hyrule. He's stood right there. :D

With regards to parrying Guardians, i just spent a while practising against the fixed ones near the Central Tower, and my advice is: stay as far back as you can while still being locked on, that way you have a micro-second to react once you see the eyeball flash blue.

Took a few deaths but i now have the timing down cold. Now for the not-so-stationary ones. :lol:

Just now, Shimmyhill said:

Yes

Reveal hidden contents

One each as far as I could see, you have to go up the 'lift' jump off and float round the side to get it - same method on both.

Okay nice one.. back I go

It is true that this game is beautiful looking. It's perfectly pitched this time - I loved the Wind Waker's style, but found the next two an awkward half way point between something painterly and something somewhat 'realistic'. This is something else entirely, but also a logical conclusion of what's come before. My favourite looking game since Okami!

Also, does anyone else find this the most 'Zelda-like' Zelda since OoT or even since A Link to the Past? All the radically alien elements to the series actually remind me what Zelda always 'felt like' to me - a big, sprawling, dangerous adventure with a potent sense of mystery - all wrapped up with enough childlike innocence for the best kind of escapism. I really see why the devs  have emphasised the link here to the very first NES game.

• Upvote 9

I just went to Hyrule castle for a looksee. Went in the back via a couple of waterfalls and it turns out perfect guarding against guardian beams is quite easy now I've had some practice.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

(It's worth following the quests you're given as far as the first 2 villages to upgrade your Sheika Slate though)

Hmmm, I hope those upgrades aren't too powerful. I'm just five towers away from unlocking the whole map and I haven't even been near Kakariko yet.

6 minutes ago, Majora said:

Has anyone been enough of a monster to see what happens if you try cooking a fairy? I don't want to waste one but y'know :ph34r:

:o

• Upvote 1

I don't keep up to date with games that much these days but slowly getting back into the hobby after getting a decent pc and a ds. We've had a wiiu for a while but my kids played Mario Kart and then gave up. Never realised that you could essentially buy this for the wiiu and not have a hamstrung version. 

Got myself a copy and between myself and my two kids, it's been on since about 4pm and it is glorious. Imagine this being one of the first proper games that you have ever played. 

So far

we've done the shrines which get you the paraglider, and I'm off on my way to where the King tells you to go. 

Didn't realise but right at the start my daughter clicked onto the quest so the marker disappeared. We spent the first couple of hours just running round. Ended up finding a Korok (think that was his name) up the side of a cliff. 

Just been told that my wife wants to watch something on TV so I'm sitting playing on the game pad with a massive grin on my face. I wanted to get into dark souls, but this feels like a more forgiving game in that style. Death is common (for me) but you're not punished to a ridiculous degree. 

I've just found what looked like a daisy which looked out of place. When I touched it, it disappeared and another appeared. Followed the trail and found Korok again. It just rewards you being curious, but not to a ridiculous degree. 

It's the same level of awe that Shadow of the Colossus had all those years ago. I can see myself playing this until 2am tonight. Might have to throw a sickie in work...

• Upvote 5

Playing on the WiiU game pad for the first time tonight. I know it's not HD, but I think it looks great! Also all framerate issues have vanished.

Exploring people's houses currently. Feels like coming home every time you get to do this gentle exploration in a new Zelda. Just gradually getting familiar with the village layout, meeting all the new NPCs, frightening them by aiming arrows at them. Standard stuff

So relaxing...

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Majora said:

Has anyone been enough of a monster to see what happens if you try cooking a fairy? I don't want to waste one but y'know :ph34r:

Ok I just tried it. I'll spoiler it but it really isn't that exciting. 

I was half expecting it to writhe in pain and torment in the pot. But it just made a fairy tonic ( cooked purely on its own). Seven hearts but if you just leave a fairy in your inventory it'll revive you from death automatically with five. So probably not really worth it. 

I wonder if it enhances effects though. Like duration or strength of elixirs....

1 hour ago, ph0rce said:

Did the Minor Combat Trial earlier, I'm going to seriously struggle against anything more advanced. 

Definitely need to really work on the timing for dodging & parries. 

Yes, I found the minor ones testing, now I just tried a modest one and came away licking my wounds. It's not modest at all, Nintendo!

14 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Playing on the WiiU game pad for the first time tonight. I know it's not HD, but I think it looks great! Also all framerate issues have vanished.

Agreed, only just started really playing it as yakuza has been drawing me in. But the missus has some crap on the tv so decided to spark Zelda up on the Wii U controller. Looks really good.

Being able to go from tv to portable on the switch, sorry Wii U is a life saver. 

20170306_210827.jpg

• Upvote 6