rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
SMD

Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4, Vita, PC, Mac, Linux)

Well, having had a short hiatus to play other games, I finally finished the remaster on Switch.

Man, over the years I had forgotten almost everything that happened after Rubacavra - probably because it's not that memorable (adorable little angels notwithstanding).

Game generally stands up well, although there were some annoying blocks arising from non-obvious interactions here and there (that bloody snow machine).

I'm up to the fourth act on this now. I've never beaten the game before as I always used to get stuck early on at the bit 

Spoiler

Where you need to take a mould of Mannys teeth. I knew you needed Dom's mouth guard but just always assumed I needed to find something to knock them down. Oh dear. How I never used the punching bag enough to knock them is beyond me. I'm just going to assume the PC versions I played were heinously buggy. 

• Empathy 1

Yeah, there are a few slightly frustrating puzzles like that. The one I remember getting stuck on back in the day was the door to the sorting machine room... Obvious once you'd spotted the solution, but tricky to spot.

I had relatively few problems in the early game - I suspect I had a few of the solutions burned into my subconscious by the PC version, way back when.

Yeah, there's a few puzzles which behave differently to the rest of the game which are sticking points and there's a couple of areas which are very easy to miss. 

Finished it last night. 21 years after I first saw a preview in Edge and thought "that looks cool". Really enjoyed it overall, sure there are rough edges and the FMV sequences can be a little ropey looking but the character and world building still hold up. 

39 minutes ago, bear said:

there's a couple of areas which are very easy to miss. 

The first time I played it, I got completely stuck because I missed the alleyway to the side of the main building!