rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
SMD

Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4, Vita, PC, Mac, Linux)

I honestly don't know what kind of remaster work i'd want on DoTT. I've played it multiple times so I guess I'd be happiest with a RE:Make work where puzzles are introduced to confound people who know the answers, maybe make it less pixelly so it feels new (but also put the original in there (maybe on the computer where you can play the original maniac mansion?). But RE:Make was a one off remasters don't usually do that.

Grim is newer so I'd be ok with just a re rendering of the source geometry at a higher res for the pre rendered backgrounds.

All I want from a DOTT remaster is a clean up of the graphics for higher resolutions to give it a nice smoothness all over. Maybe make the audio a bit higher quality if they can and that's it. Please don't change any puzzles, scripting or artwork as it's a perfect game as it is.

• Upvote 1

I have inexplicably never played Grim Fandango, despite it being made by one of my favourite game makers. I've been aware of it since it first came out though. It's an obvious first-day purchase for me.

Does anyone know if it's getting a physical release on Vita or PS4?

All I want from a DOTT remaster is a clean up of the graphics for higher resolutions to give it a nice smoothness all over. Maybe make the audio a bit higher quality if they can and that's it. Please don't change any puzzles, scripting or artwork as it's a perfect game as it is.

Me too! Looking forward to this more than GF :)

Wish they'd do a Dig remaster... Really enjoyed that one. Although it was a fair while ago (95/96)... rose tinted glasses and all that.... :)

Anyway will pick this up... like a good LucasArts adventure.... and never played GF... Although do have the CD-ROM on PC somewhere but not sure it'd work that well on current hardware/os.

Edit:-

http://grimfandangodeluxe.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/running-grim-fandango-on-modern.html

OK might be worth digging the disc out... :D

It's up on Steam now, £10.99. Think I'll wait until tomorrow for the PSN version - the thought of playing this on the sofa, with the big TV and surround sound is too good to pass up (then mopping up achievements on the Vita version).

Mmmm Vita or Steam? Not decided yet... Like the fact that I can play the Vita version on the move...

Always felt it a shame that the Vita didn't have a HDMI out (mini/micro whatever). Sometimes it would be nice to hook it up to a big screen (for example lunch hour at work or the odd time I get access to a big TV/Monitor at home).

Guessing that would steal sales from PS TV though.

Aye it was a glaring mistake not to at least have some means of doing it as it made it inpossible for sites and youtubers to do decent video coverage of Vita games. Leadig to awareness of the interesting stuff on the platform.

I would wait on picking a platform until people comment on how the pad controls are. I am guessing the options will be similar to the REmake Remaster.

So good to have this again. I'm playing it in the remastered graphics (which are subtle but a good improvement, especially when it comes to character close-ups) but in 4:3, so as not to stretch the image. It looks good! It was never exactly an ugly game anyway. I've also tried the point & click and gamepad controls; probably going with gamepad for most of it, since point & click actually doesn't keep all the functionality of the keyboard or gamepad setup (you can't examine doors/transition hotspots without actually hitting the E key to do so while looking at them, and at that point you may as well use the full keyboard controls instead). I'm not using tank controls with the gamepad - I tried them and it was horrendous - but I would definitely use them with the keyboard though. They work best with the keyboard setup, still.

Early reports on neogaf seem to indicate that the vita port is poor.

Apparently it stutters a bit. People are moaning that it isn't 60fps on Vita - I don't think it's the kind of game that would really suffer for not being 60fps.

• Upvote 1

Apparently it stutters a bit. People are moaning that it isn't 60fps on Vita - I don't think it's the kind of game that would really suffer for not being 60fps.

What is it about people and this bloody magical 60fps thing? :D Seems that the consensus these days about games if its not running at 60fps its crap!

Agree BTW. Its not a game that would benefit much from running at 60fps!

Just downloaded this on PS4 and looking forward to giving it another try. I tried to play it a fair while ago now and got to the end of the first act and dropped it because I remember finding some of the puzzles absolutely ridiculous, especially in the Petrified Forest. I had to keep looking up the answers and was shaking my head at how obtuse they were. In particular I remember a puzzle involving beavers being especially annoying.

I wasn't an adventure game virgin at that point by any means - I had played and enjoyed the likes of Monkey Island, DOTT, Broken Sword etc but something about the puzzles in the game just rubbed me up the wrong way. Hopefully I can get on with it better this time around because everything else about it always gets such high praise.