rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
SMD

Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4, Vita, PC, Mac, Linux)

Almost played it, it's aged graphically, I downloaded it and expected to find a few simple mods to make it look a bit smoother and there wasn't any; so this is really cool.

This brings me great confused feelings.

On one hand, it's probably the best game ever made. On the other hand, I did my first playthrough in 8 years about 6 weeks ago :(

On the up side, the high res art that will be produced to go along with it will be stunning, and will adorn many a desktop of mine.

Look at all you people who never played the original. Oh man. It's just such a perfectly conceived and complete wee game. Best voice acting too. And best music. Occasionally awkward puzzles but that was par for the course back in the day. To think that its beautiful looking pre-rendered backdrops could likely be recreated perfectly in real time excites me.

They showed absolutely nothing of it though so it must be early stages, surely?

• Upvote 1

This was a genuine punch the air moment for me in the early hours of the morning, hunched around the monitor bleary-eyed, having dragged myself out of bed for a video game conference live stream. I am 34 years old.

What you are, is a hero.

Look at all you people who never played the original.

Unfortunately I had never heard of the game when I first got a PC (1998 I think) and I know people that like games that still don't know of it's existence. I missed out on a lot of adventure games just because I had never heard of them but the 2 I seen as a kid were Broken Sword and Escape from Monkey Island (both on console).

If it was available on Steam, I would have played it by now.

This is one of those good ol' fashioned holyfuckballs moments that I've not experienced for a dogs age.

A genuine surprise in amongst all the usual fluff and I'm still in a bit of shock about it.

Never got a budget copy to work so never got past the second environment on my cheap laptop so massively happy about this. Hoping for more of the old adventure games I missed to come to the Vita too.

Grim Fandango isn't a point and click adventure! It can be patched into a glitchy version of one these days, and maybe the remake will be, but otherwise it's an adventure notably devoid of either pointing or clicking, controlling instead like one of the old Alone in the Dark/Little Big Adventure/Resident Evil games, which is by far the most annoying trait of its nature as an early move to 3D adventuring.

hehehe.

I knew this would happen. I was going to type 'adventure game' but I knew I'd get someone pedanting me the other way :P

I know no-one on here really knows me but I'm the last person you need to explain the difference to, adventure games/ point n clicks anything a bit story based and slow are my favouritestestest genre of games and in a quick post before I had to go to work, point n click covered the style of this game.

I've played every one of these games you can get on SCUMMVM if I didn't already play them on the Amiga/ PC, even Hook. I do however concede that it isn't strictly a point n click, even if I do think you know what I meant :)

Can someone HD Toonstruck for me as well please? And make a sequel to Beneath a Steel Sky. And make a game that has the real time elements of Cruise for a Corpse. And one with the ability to 'get it wrong' a la the Blade Runner game.

Sheesh, to think I got picked up on calling this a point n click when there are loads of people in here that haven't even played the best one of it's ilk and quite possibly my favourite game ever. Just can't win :)

• Upvote 3

I will admit, when the letter was being read out, this wasn't this game I was hoping for.

334525-green_tentacle.jpg

Still chuffed though, as I only played through Grim Fandango the once, so I've forgotten a lot of it.

I don't know,DOTT is one of my favourite adventure games of all time but I think it still holds up really well today if you run it in SCUMMVM. The graphics may be a bit blocky, but it all adds to the charm. It doesn't really need an update/remake as the original is still perfectly playable.

On the other hand, getting Grim Fandango to work on a modern system is a huge pain in the ass and even when you get it working, the antiquated controls make it nigh on unplayable. So I think Grim Fandango is due an update far, far more than DOTT or any of the other LucasArts 2D point 'n' click games. I never really got into Grim Fandango the first time it came round, and later on I found it didn't age too well so I'm really looking forward to have this in my Vita.

• Upvote 1

I still have a huge cardboard cutout of Manny from when the game launched. Bought it from a local shop for a fiver think it's still folded up in my folks loft! It really was the swan song of the genre for many years to follow but god what a game to go out on.

I loved everything about Grim Fandango; the setting, the voice acting, the humour, the music, the atmosphere... only the actual game wasn't very good. Some lousy, unguessable puzzles (jelly, anyone?), lame semi-action bits like the beaver bones, and the occasional repetitive trudge. As an adventure, it didn't hold up against the high water marks like Monkey Island 2, DoTT and Fate of Atlantis.

I still played it through at least twice; that's how much I liked everything else about GF. But I think I'd be more excited about a new, unbroken game in the same world than reheating the original. Still, I hope everyone buys it, and Disney realises the potency of the properties they accidentally picked up when they bought Star Wars.

Anyway, I think I'll listen to the soundtrack this afternoon in ambivalent celebration.

They've announced that, in addition to the PS4/Vita console exclusive, it's coming to PC, Mac and Linux, all at the same time.

We’re bringing Grim back!
Double Fine is pleased to announce that, along with the console exclusive PlayStation 4 and Vita versions of Grim Fandango, Manny will also reap once again on PC, Mac, and Linux!
And that’s not all, folks! All versions will be launching simultaneously, so everyone can play on day one and not have to worry about those spoilers you’ve been successfully avoiding for the past fifteen years. (Pro-tip: stay off Twitter.)
But hopefully, after all those years of patience, you can hold out just a BIT longer. Until then, here’s a retrospective on the game from 2 Player Productions!:
  • Upvote 9

Was never sure how I felt about Grim Fandango. I certainly always admired it for the obvious love which had gone into each bit of creation, but the dry humour of the script often wrong-footed me due to the more slapstick tone of other Lucasarts titles of the time. I'll be most interested to see how people regard it who are coming in totally fresh.

Shouldn't they just remake it from scratch? I know there's a lot to be said for the original's style, but you *can* make it better and still be faithful to it! Abe's Oddysee as an example.