IGNORED

Rainbow Six Siege x Splinter Cell - Sam Fisher reveal Aug 16th

Yoshimax

Yeah I tried it too the matchmaking was excellent (you can freely navigate the menus while you wait although it was so quick as to be pointless) and you get the option post-match to stick with your team at least in casual. Headed in the right direction so far.

• 1 month later...

Sweet, Ubi have just announced they're doing more optimisation work on this. I love it when devs do this type of stuff and am always interested in reading about how they're tackling some of these issues. 

OPERATION HEALTH DIAGNOSIS – MAP OPTIMIZATION AND LIGHTING

This is part one of a three-part series on data clean-up and optimization. In this blog post, we will cover the work that is being done on maps.

DATA CLEANUP ON MAP TEXTURES AND MESHES (KAFE)

Over the course of the next year, we will be reworking the textures of every single map. We are starting with Kafe Dostoyevsky, our most expensive map in terms of memory-budget. We have been going through all the textures and meshes of Kafe, smoothing, optimizing, and standardizing everything we could. In essence, we are streamlining and reducing its overall memory footprint. Technical Director Olivier Couture put it this way:

“Imagine we have a box, and we filled it to capacity. It is difficult to improve on the items that you have in the box when there isn’t any space. With Operation Health, we are rearranging the contents of the box to give us more room to work.”

This is a first milestone that will allow us to optimize stability and frame rate, while maintaining visual quality.

Once these changes go live in Year 2 Season 3, you will notice a few material changes on Kafe, as seen below! We are targeting texture and meshes cleanup for all maps within the next year.

kafeba1_296606.png

kafeba2_296607.png

More after the click tl;dr by RPS

Looks like a nice upgrade VN1X, albeit with a bit of a long timeframe - I expect these texture changes will be a long time coming.

The link to RPS mentions lighting changes though, which I've just seen in a youtube vid - that would massively improve the gameplay experience IMO. I like the idea of the lighting being extreme when looking out of a small gap from a dark room or vice versa, but if that "over-exposure" was only for a split second or removed completely it would make gunfights against peekers feel a little fairer.

28r6siege3.jpg

exposure1_296610.png

• 2 weeks later...

The next Rainbow Six Siege patch could be as big as 42GB

Rainbow Six Siege’s next patch will change how game data is organised, and it’s going to be pretty big. The game’s developers at Ubisoft penned a blog post explaining exactly what the next patch is going to do, and why the download is going to be massive.

To start with, the developer said that the file sizes revealed today are estimates and may vary at the time of launch. This patch will change how future updates are delivered, which is why a “significant number of the existing data forges” must be replaced.

rainbow_six_siege_y2s3_patch_sizes_all_p

A forge is a compressed archive that stores game data. The game uses this system because it means you can patch new files without replacing the entire compressed forge, but the downside is that it takes bigger space on the disk than needed.

With the arrival of the new patch, called Y2S3.0, many of the game’s textures will be changed, hence the big download. However, this will mean more consolidated files and a smaller overall size on your drive.

“By consolidating our patches and data players will see a reduction ‘seek time’, which means faster load times for all players,” the blog post reads. “While it is difficult to determine an exact loading time reduction percentage for PC due to the variety of configurations, consoles will see about 10% faster loading times for matches.”

Ubisoft is also taking this opportunity to upgrade the compression algorithms used, reducing the size of future patches by 12-15% and improving the load times in the process.

As for the size variance between PC and consoles, especially if you have the Ultra HD texture pack installed, Ubisoft said that it was a result of adjusting texture quality across the board on PC. From low to ultra, the game’s characters and environments will look better on all settings compared to what’s available now.

“The updated Ultra HD texture pack on PC will effectively be an unscaled source quality of our texture UV Maps,” the blog pointed out.

Update Y2S3.0 does not yet have a release date.

Dang, that's going to take at least 30 mins to download. 

August 29 - Operation Blood Orchid

Ubisoft has officially unveiled the next major update for Rainbow Six Siege: Operation Blood Orchid.

This is the second update in the game’s Year 2 of content, and comes after a three-month hiatus that saw a shift in development focus. Operation Health comes to a close soon, having now fixed many of the long-standing problems.

Operation Blood Orchid releases August 29 on PC, PS4, and Xbox One. The new update brings a new map set in Hong Kong, as well as three new operators. The map is free for everyone, as always, whereas operators require in-game currency to unlock.

For season pass holders, all three operators will be accessible for free starting August 29, and September 5 for everyone else. Two of the new operators will be from Hong Kong, and one from Poland.

Really looking forward to the new season now. I love a bit of Frost action so having more traps to play with is great news! If Thatcher counters both of those defenders gadgets then we could be seeing a lot more of him in games.

• 2 weeks later...

You've made that sound worse than it is you cheeky scamp! I understand what they're doing they need to attract new players for them and those of us who stick with it and to be fair it would be overwhelming coming to the game fresh and not knowing any maps. More than any game this one requires you to learn and know the maps backwards to take advantage of peek points and weaknesses which if you were to play a new map every game for (max # of maps) games you'd have no chance of doing for ages as well as learning ops and their nuances.

My first response to your post was "they're fucking doing what???" But it makes total sense. Halo5 does this, Gears4 used to - it's how you acclimatise newcomers and I'm for it. Gutted at the choice of maps though for me Bartlett and Favela would've been better. I love plane but I guess the spawn killing if you don't know could put people off.

Removing maps from the rotation suck ass, it sucked in Gears and it sucks here. Sorry but beginners just have to learn as well, there are resources available to learn the layouts of the maps, hell people still use the official Ubi app thing that shows floor plans. 

I struggle to get on with this game at the best of times but it feels like Ubi are just shafting it this year. First the Op Health bollocks resulting in me completely avoiding the game until the actual content arrived and now removing maps. 

So ranked will have 9 maps and they will be rotated between seasons. Kind of makes sense but also sucks. I only play ranked so to have so many maps removed from the rotation does not feel that great. It's not going to stop me playing though as it's a flipping amazing game.

Hopefully they will do with the new map what they did when they introduced coastline and it will be the only map you get in casual for a couple of weeks. Give us all a chance to play on it.

1 minute ago, tobert said:

How easy is this to get into? its the free weekend this weekend and tempted to give it a go but concerned I am just going to spent a few hours getting slaughter not having a clue what to do

You're going to get slaughtered, its a steep learning curve. I get destroyed every time I play it but I still think its great fun in a team.

On 25/08/2017 at 14:02, tobert said:

How easy is this to get into? its the free weekend this weekend and tempted to give it a go but concerned I am just going to spent a few hours getting slaughter not having a clue what to do

The first time I played it I was so put off I don't think I returned for a few months.

But, I still play it now - I love it.

I would start in the single player modes to see what it's all about.  It's not a fast paced FPS in the traditional sense, it requires strategy and thought and a measured approach if you don't want to get splattered immediately.  But it IS great fun.  It's just pretty overwhelming, there's loads of operators to choose from who all have a different ability and it's really a case of "different strokes for different folks".  I don't have the twitch reflexes of a 12 year old so I like the operators who contribute in other ways - for example by laying traps, or can give more enemy intel, or can sneak in a drone and zap and distract the enemy.  So starting out I really picked a couple of operators who I thought yeah, I can get on with this, and really focused on them.

The maps are quite complex, and the game really opens up when you learn more about what is where.  

It's a game full of depth.  Give it a go - it's free - if you hate it, nothing lost.

Playing in a team isn't always helpful - :D - it's really hard to call out where people are to your team anyway, especially before it's not too late.  But you can "ding" where enemies are on the screen which is much more useful, and everyone sees that, in your squad or not.

On 25/08/2017 at 10:39, SimonC said:

So ranked will have 9 maps and they will be rotated between seasons. Kind of makes sense but also sucks. I only play ranked so to have so many maps removed from the rotation does not feel that great. It's not going to stop me playing though as it's a flipping amazing game.

Hopefully they will do with the new map what they did when they introduced coastline and it will be the only map you get in casual for a couple of weeks. Give us all a chance to play on it.

Splatoon 2 (I know, I know) actually has a good idea with map rotations in its modes, including ranked.  Basically, there's two maps in rotation for each 2 hour block of the day.  2 maps probably wouldn't be enough for Siege but if say 3-4 maps were in rotation in a set time block (maybe even a day), then the next time block saw the others, it could be good for helping to learn the maps, but you wouldn't have the same maps so often that you bore of them.

29 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Absolutely huge amount of changes coming in the next patch:

https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-US/updates/bloodorchid/index.aspx

including new servers, lighting changes, using both drones at once, barbwire nerf, hit reg improvements. Exciting times!

Two of the mechanics that I actually am aware of using are getting nerfed too - the crosshairs turning red on enemies will no longer happen and the "Enemy ID" trigger you get when they're in your vision even if you haven't actually seen them yourself. I've definitely had kills from those mechanics in the past and won't anymore :(

Played around 6 games last night and it really has slowed down the game hasn't it? I think is better than having Ash and Jager running around like lunatics all time so will just take some getting used to on my part.

Does seem to be more roaming now too, with the 'alarm systems' that the two new defence operator bring it really does aid them in stoping/slowing you down at the point of entry. Sooooooo glad that Barlett U isn't on the playlist, bad enough getting into the building on that map pre Blood Orchid. 

Played a few games last night and the new defenders are excellent. Ela may be my new favourite as she just suits how i like to play defense. You can roam a little offsite and set yourself up a nice spot with early warning systems via your mines. Perfect for catching out careless attackers.

The start of the season is once again an absolute clusterfuck though. Everyone unranked and you can literally be playing with every skill level. Can't wait to get through my 10 games so there is once again a bit of matchmaking at work.

They've already said they'll be deleting maps due to memory allocation or something. Personally not bothered either way, as long as Barlett doesn't make it to any ranked playlist.

Not tried Kafe yet but I did have 1 game on Theme Park. Early thoughts are its decent, but will need to go into a custom game to get an idea of layout and stuff. Because defending was fine but attacking was bloody difficult!