IGNORED

Rainbow Six Siege x Splinter Cell - Sam Fisher reveal Aug 16th

Yoshimax

I picked this up about 2 weeks ago now. I've held off for ages as I don't play online anymore, have favoured single player experiences now since fallout 3 came out. However, it was rainbow six 3 that got me into online play with Xbox back in 2003 and I have played every Xbox iteration.

I had to give siege a go with the intention of just doing lone wolf - hence waiting so long for a price drop. I wanted to unlock operators so I dabbled in multi using a gold trial code and it is good fun but I get slaughter most of the time.

I have now unlocked all of the original roster but multi is hard going as no-one seems to talk, I think they are all in their own parties when they join the game. It certainly doesn't seem as easy to meet other players as it was back in the day on rainbow 3.

Are there any teams in here looking to add one more? I'm currently rocking a bronze level 4 :( I have moments of brilliance amongst my many failures but I feel a lot of the failures are due to no communication and not knowing what my team are doing. Not being able to shoot straight still plays a part of course...

44 minutes ago, new member said:

I picked this up about 2 weeks ago now. I've held off for ages as I don't play online anymore, have favoured single player experiences now since fallout 3 came out. However, it was rainbow six 3 that got me into online play with Xbox back in 2003 and I have played every Xbox iteration.

I had to give siege a go with the intention of just doing lone wolf - hence waiting so long for a price drop. I wanted to unlock operators so I dabbled in multi using a gold trial code and it is good fun but I get slaughter most of the time.

I have now unlocked all of the original roster but multi is hard going as no-one seems to talk, I think they are all in their own parties when they join the game. It certainly doesn't seem as easy to meet other players as it was back in the day on rainbow 3.

Are there any teams in here looking to add one more? I'm currently rocking a bronze level 4 :( I have moments of brilliance amongst my many failures but I feel a lot of the failures are due to no communication and not knowing what my team are doing. Not being able to shoot straight still plays a part of course...

If your on Xbox theres a few of us that play most nights at the moment, ranging from experienced to new players, we're friendly and happy to have other people join assuming they are the same. We don't play it seriously by any means so if you're hoping for high ranks + or constant wins then we're not for you but if you just want to chill and meet new people feel free to throw me a message on XBL, my GT is ReynoldsM

:) thanks, I'll do that tomorrow (I'm out tonight).

I take it seriously in that I am more of an objective based player - I get frustrated when my team lose because they decide that as defenders they need to go out of the area with 15 seconds left to hunt for a kill then inevitably get wiped out :) I don't care about rank though, it should just be a useful benchmark to get paired with similarly skilled players making the games more fun while being an even challenge for both sides.

My goal is to know what I am doing and have fun playing the game. I love to win but don't mind losing to people that are genuinely better than me.

This has now become a lobby simulator for me over the past 2 days. It will match me up with other players but then the lobby doesn't connect to the match. [emoji20]

I had that late Saturday night and yesterday.

2 hours ago, sir shrew said:

So season are 3 months. At the end they have the pro finals, a free weekend and launch the new update, map and operators. This invariably breaks the game in some way for a few weeks. By March 15th we'll have mid-season reinforcements where they mix up the meta and tweak existing operators. 

That... doesn't sound very good?

Anyway I'm going to uninstall this for now and come back to it once they've fixed some of the bugs and connection issues. There have been too many times of me abeing shot even though I was already behind cover or me shooting a someone first only for them to take me down instead. It's even possible to trade kills. This should NEVER happen in a competitive FPS. 

There's a good and fun game in there somewhere but it honestly feels like I've bought an early access product. 

Edited by VN1X

It's not ready for high level play. I dont think it has a solid foundation. It's a shame. But if you're not chasing diamond rank there is still a lot fun to be had here.

I've certainly cooled off to it over the last month.

Dust Line and Skull Rain the game was stable. Red Crow and Velvet Shell have shit in the cereal.

They need to sort the servers, matchmaking and hitreg and run test servers - they say theyre coming but I dont think they will be anytime soon.

Maybe you should try Overwatch? It's really polished :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah I'm a bit pissed as I paid for year 2 and this stuff should be taking place alongside new maps and operators (which would be entirely different team members) but I still play and enjoy regularly. They really need to knock it out the park with these changes now but I am glad they're taking such a unique long term view with the game rather than just shifting to a "Siege 2".

You'll still get what was promised in the season pass, which is early and automatic access to new operators, it will just be a bit later in the year. They could of announced this sooner though rather than now when everyone is expecting a new map and shootymen.

I'm glad they are focusing on fixing matchmaking and other game issues but what the hell have they been doing for the past 3 months if they are doing this over the next 3 months?

I paid for the season pass too. As long as they deliver on "operation health" I'll be happy and glad I spent the money supporting the game. If they don't that will be the time to throw toys out the pram.

I don't play huge amounts of Rainbow Six Siege (I bought game and original season pass) but some of the complaints or observations about this 'operation health' feel similar to the situation with another Ubisoft game, namely The Division. Specifically the work Massive put into trying to reinvigorate players numbers with patch 1.4 last year. On TD forums there's been a lot of complaints about how many felt Massive were running 'skeleton' crews whilst committing their full resources working on the sequel/Avatar project.

This feels a little bit similar with this delaying of game content. Seems a shame they can't commit more resources to maintaining or fixing the game whilst still delivering new content to their schedule.

1 hour ago, sir shrew said:

I can almost guarantee they won't deliver. We'll get improved matchmaking for a while maybe, alpha packs, but the other server stuff?

The servers will still go down every time another Ubi title has a free weekend. We have no evidence this team can put out fires when they break their own game each patch.

Think about what COD, Destiny, Overwatch are doing to keep all corners of the playerbase engaged in terms of dlc content. Ubi can barely keep the game functioning.

I think I'm more of a glass half full guy than you shrew and I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic.

I'd also disagree that Ubi "barely keep the game functioning". Yes, the matchmaking process is awful and it's an absolute lottery on how long it will take to find a game. And yes, having so much stuff run client side is ridiculous. But the game itself is just so good to play that I've been able to put up with that situation. Not saying it's acceptable, but the game is worth the effort.

5 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

I agree, it's my game of the generation. 

But tell that to Ubisoft. There's so much more they could be doing with the game.

Yeah, the core gameplay is just excellent. It just lacks the polish that the likes of OW have.

I loved Siege when it first came out. Bought the Year 1 pass and had a great time playing it regularly for the best part of a year. The constant issues after each update and no new modes, despite them being promised means I haven't played it this year.

Just now, sir shrew said:

Don't buy the season pass.

I don't intend to. It's just a game to tide me over with some mates for a few weeks or months on the occasional evenings.

Good operators to get you started:

Defense: Rook, Mute, Jaegar (if you want to roam), Kapkan

Offense: Ash, Sledge, Thermite, Twitch

Definitely do the situations as they help you get to grips with the gameplay. For practising, go into the options and under preferred game types for terrorist hunt disable everything but terrorist hunt classic. Then you can enter a terrorist hunt (either lone wolf or with friends) and you'll have unlimited time to take out a whole bunch of bad dudes. Really good for map knowledge, trying out guns, tactics etc...

Be patient. If you rush everywhere all the time you'll die. Lots. Any info on enemy locations is huge so use cameras and drones and make use of audio. A half decent pair of headphones with the sound cranked up makes a difference.

Operation Health seems like a total cop out to me, I haven't spent real money on anything in Siege apart from the base game and already I can't really be bothered playing it if the next set of new content isn't till August. 

I will agree that the matchmaking is atrocious, and quitting is still a huge problem, played it a bit the last few days and I would say that in every 5 matches played, 3 of them have a quitter on either side. Could be salty rage quitters, could be Ubi's awful matchmaking code. It's a shame cos it's a good game but I'm not going to put time into something they're obviously fucking about with.

As @Mgear says it feels exactly what they did with The Division and honestly, I have too many other games vying for my attention to give it time after this announcement. 

11 hours ago, King A said:

Picked this up last night. Had £25 xbox credit I got for free so added a fiver to it. Any tips for a complete an utter noob who only played one match during the beta?

Don't give up.

It's very unforgiving in the early stages as you get to grips with it but it's good fun, good strategy and it's nowhere near as frustrating as some other games. 

Nearly everyone here plays this on Bone right? It's a shame that I've already got it on PS4, no one on my friends list plays this now despite having a load of people on here added due to FIFA, Battlefield and other games.

14 hours ago, sir shrew said:

Ubisoft make €1000 million in profits, yet they can't give their Montreal studio the resources for working servers and planned dlc content for a title they want to be the next CS?

No offence but I am sick of people in the community saying "You still get what you paid for! The map wasn't in the season pass!" No - the season pass was sold based on 4 seasons, 4 maps, and 8 operators - they are free because people like me pay for ingame purchases (elite skins, renown, boosters and season passes). Technically the map is free content for everyone, but people chose to support the game and team by buying a season pass based on that roadmap, and they've just canned part of that roadmap without so much as an apology. 

They haven't fixed these problems in 1.5 years so I doubt 3 months will be enough - it's not like the map design and art dept are responsible for sorting the servers and match-making. Speculation they have been transferred to For Honor which I'm told happens to be due two maps.

The whole thing stinks and any journos reporting the story should be picking up on that, instead of the marketing spin.

Ultimately, you're still going to get things early - just a few months delayed.

You also make non-season pass players sound like we are benefit scroungers or something, that we should bow down for your spending a little more.  Thing is most people do probably spend on in game purchases.

It says to me that they are undermanned, under-resourced.  It's not exactly a new game anymore so from a business POV it may not make sense for them to hammer loads of money into it, who knows.  Sad though it is, I'd rather have one game that I can keep coming back to around other things that I engage with more obsessively, rather than need to fork out for a Siege 2/similar experience but newer/etc.  I'd also rather they bench sub-par content if they realise it's a load of tosh which may be what happened with the Poland map....

6 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Neither of the bolded statements are accurate, fwiw.

It's a fact the paid content pays for the free content, that isn't making any judgement on people who don't buy the season passes.

Accepted that you may not actually feel that way about it but your wording did have an air of the car driver "I pay my road tax, bloody cyclists riding around for free" about it ;-)

Interested to know your source re: Poland map though.  

I know you've got a problem with them Shrew but seriously all your problems are almost non-existent on Xbox; matching takes less than 2 minutes, people being kicked by the system is rare and the community is pretty non-toxic bar the odd arsehole who's easily dealt with.

The devs themselves. They've been working on Hong Kong until very recently, but decided to push it back rather than start work on Poland.

They chose to Poland that rather than S Korea - presumably they have a better map idea for S Korea and want to attract asian players.

I see. But that doesn't speak to how the map was actually going, does it?

Just it makes sense to me that they halt work on something that is maybe not going to plan for whatever reason if they feel focus is better used elsewhere.