IGNORED

Ori and the Blind Forest

Revival

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So there's this part of the game I've come across near the beginning, the Dark  Root Burrows or something...should I be going back much later as I can;t see shit and keep falling in to pis. I've abandoned it now but been a while since I've played a Metroidvania game so assuming I should go back at some point.

• 8 months later...

Played an hour last night after picking it up in the recent sale and im loving it.  Its tricky - you do have to concentrate on the game play while allowing the beauty to fill the screen. Great to wind down a long day and i made good progress, looking forward to spending more time on it. 

This was the first game I got for my XBox One over the last Christmas and I was really impressed with it. Surprised by the negativity about it in this thread, I never felt like dying was unfair or as a result of unresponsive controls. It was just learning what to do and then putting it into practice for the next go and if I could hit the right buttons at the right time I would succeed. I welcomed a game that had a core skill challenge to it after playing a lot of Diablo III where you can progress just by time spent at it.

I'm glad I got to it after the bugs had been fixed though, they sound pretty bad.

25 minutes ago, Big Swifty said:

This was the first game I got for my XBox One over the last Christmas and I was really impressed with it. Surprised by the negativity about it in this thread, I never felt like dying was unfair or as a result of unresponsive controls. It was just learning what to do and then putting it into practice for the next go and if I could hit the right buttons at the right time I would succeed. I welcomed a game that had a core skill challenge to it after playing a lot of Diablo III where you can progress just by time spent at it.

I'm glad I got to it after the bugs had been fixed though, they sound pretty bad.

It's an amazing game and the controls, in conjunction with your ever expanding abilities, we sublime. By the end of the game I was jumping around like a lunatic they become such second nature.

I'm really looking forward to the sequel. Not sure what much else they can do with the mechanics, as they're perfect, but they need to give you more levels where you have all your powers and are playing it like a boss. It looks like a big graphical leap as well, even though the original is a really beautiful looking game.

• 3 months later...

Just bought the DE version in the sale for my XB1.  

My oh my, it is STUNNING. 

I wasn't expecting THAT at the beginning though, talk about a gut puncher. 

Definitely feels like something I can sit and relax with, and so far I am finding the controls spot on. 

I have been a huge fan of Gareth Coker's score for this, he is a lovely chap, who I interviewed for DorkTunes back last year, he was even kind enough to send me signed sheet music from it. 

Can't wait to put some serious time into this over the next while... :wub: 

8 minutes ago, noob said:

Just bought the DE version in the sale for my XB1.  

My oh my, it is STUNNING. 

I wasn't expecting THAT at the beginning though, talk about a gut puncher. 

Definitely feels like something I can sit and relax with, and so far I am finding the controls spot on. 

I have been a huge fan of Gareth Coker's score for this, he is a lovely chap, who I interviewed for DorkTunes back last year, he was even kind enough to send me signed sheet music from it. 

Can't wait to put some serious time into this over the next while... :wub: 

Who wants to tell him?

1 hour ago, noob said:

Relax might not be the right word, but it is one of those games that once it clicks, you're in the zone and untouchable. The controls are totally spot on.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh mate, i feel your pain. I must of had a week of trying, and got the major asshole with it. Walked away for about 2 weeks then came back and did it in 3 or 4 goes. Seriously frustrating!

I was late to the party with this and only started it in the last few months, now at 90% and think it's a fantastic game, highly recommended.

• 3 weeks later...

From the "Great games you almost gave up on" thread:

While absolutely stunning to look at I wasn't exactly blown away by the controls or punishing difficulty, to say the least. I thought a lot of the environmental traps were cheap as they blended with the backgrounds way too much and I also wasn't a fan of the floaty platforming mechanics. I honestly didn't enjoy the game at all and playing it felt like a chore every time. I told myself I was just going to rush through it so I could at least say to have beaten it.

However after overcoming that first difficultly spike, and the second escape sequence not too long thereafter, I did a complete 180 on it! As once you acquire more health points, save points and abilities the act of simply traversing the environment and exploring becomes far less risky and thus a lot more fun. Whereas at first I couldn't wait for it to end I now find myself exploring every nook and cranny in hopes of reaching a 100% completion rate! So yeah in the end Ori completely won me over and it turned out to be an amazing game; one I'm glad I stuck with. :)

12 hours and 500 odd deaths later I've achieved that 100% completion stat! As I've said above this turned out to be an amazing title. No way I'm going to bother with hard and permadeaths modes though, I'll leave that to the clinically insane! Besides I still have a bunch of other 2D platformer/metdroidvania games to get to such as: Flinthook, The Mummy Demastered, Samus Returns, Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge. Good times! :D

On 12/10/2017 at 19:41, Mrs Horribleman said:

Wow. That's one of the best parts of the game! 

I regularly go back and play it. It's such a fantastic little sequence, and that music playing over the whole thing. Oof. One of my favourite sequences in any game for quite some time.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...