Revival

Ori and the Blind Forest

From the "Great games you almost gave up on" thread:

While absolutely stunning to look at I wasn't exactly blown away by the controls or punishing difficulty, to say the least. I thought a lot of the environmental traps were cheap as they blended with the backgrounds way too much and I also wasn't a fan of the floaty platforming mechanics. I honestly didn't enjoy the game at all and playing it felt like a chore every time. I told myself I was just going to rush through it so I could at least say to have beaten it.

However after overcoming that first difficultly spike, and the second escape sequence not too long thereafter, I did a complete 180 on it! As once you acquire more health points, save points and abilities the act of simply traversing the environment and exploring becomes far less risky and thus a lot more fun. Whereas at first I couldn't wait for it to end I now find myself exploring every nook and cranny in hopes of reaching a 100% completion rate! So yeah in the end Ori completely won me over and it turned out to be an amazing game; one I'm glad I stuck with. :)

12 hours and 500 odd deaths later I've achieved that 100% completion stat! As I've said above this turned out to be an amazing title. No way I'm going to bother with hard and permadeaths modes though, I'll leave that to the clinically insane! Besides I still have a bunch of other 2D platformer/metdroidvania games to get to such as: Flinthook, The Mummy Demastered, Samus Returns, Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge. Good times! :D

On 12/10/2017 at 19:41, Mrs Horribleman said:

Wow. That's one of the best parts of the game! 

I regularly go back and play it. It's such a fantastic little sequence, and that music playing over the whole thing. Oof. One of my favourite sequences in any game for quite some time.

well...i have gone back to this after a while away from it, and i am now at the ginso tree.

FML... 

:lol:

and as if by magic, i did it my next go! 

:wub: 

• Upvote 2

Just started this having got it off gamepass. Absolutely loving it... Feels like a decent challenge without being too difficult. One for the 'old schoolers'! 

• Upvote 1

Booted this up for the first time last night and it is indeed gorgeous, more importantly it's a great Metroidvania, reminds me of a more colourful Hollow Knight with a gentler difficulty curve. 

Sequel this year too which should be X enhanced I guess, now that will be a looker. 

Game Pass is fantastic.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Booted this up for the first time last night and it is indeed gorgeous, more importantly it's a great Metroidvania, reminds me of a more colourful Hollow Knight with a gentler difficulty curve. 

Sequel this year too which should be X enhanced I guess, now that will be a looker. 

Game Pass is fantastic.

I've played Will of the Wisps and it's awesome. Even more traversal options, some of the best ever in a 2D game, and much improved combat, arguably the weakest part of the original.

And yes, it looks amazing.

• Upvote 1

On 23/12/2018 at 14:07, Muz said:

Just started this having got it off gamepass. Absolutely loving it... Feels like a decent challenge without being too difficult. One for the 'old schoolers'! 

Wait till you get to the rising water part. You'll swear like your life depends on it.

I am on the last part of the whole game and have been for months now, just can't do it, or put myself through the heartache.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Pavey said:

Wait till you get to the rising water part. You'll swear like your life depends on it.

I am on the last part of the whole game and have been for months now, just can't do it, or put myself through the heartache.

I actually did that bit in about 10 mins... I know it's a bit cheap but once you know what obstacles are where, the escape challenges become simple. 

I finished the game with 87% completion and absolutely loved it. Haven't played a game like this in ages due to destiny addiction and its been a breath of fresh air. Immediately bought monster boy on the switch and I think it's even better than Ori! 

• Upvote 2

Might have to get you round mine to do the last level!

(has been while since i turned it on, may go back to it tonight)

Only thing that annoyed me about the game was that once you go into the final room to escape, you can't go back to mop up to get 100%...I couldn't anyway so but warned

Must admit, I never really struggled with the water part of the ending. Each took me a handful of goes, but they weren't that bad. Hollow Knight certainly has trickier platforming sections. 

I adore this game, the movement, the environments, music, level design & mechanics. I'm pretty far in now and I've enjoyed it far more than Hollow Knight. They're both good but this edges it for me, and whilst it's not easy it's not as uncompromising as HK.

Sequel this year :wub:

I think I actually found this more difficult than Hollow Knight. Or, at least, more frustrating. More trial and error until you get it exactly right.

I gave up on it about halfway. The environments just didn't interest me, the combat was wishy-washy and unengaging and I didn't find the basic movements controls satisfying. Not too excited for a sequel on that basis unfortunately.

The difference with Ori is that you can save anywhere you want and restarts are instant which considerably curbs frustration although there are a couple of tough sections where you can't save, they're over quick enough though.

I think control and movement is sublime and the combat is just about learning enemy movement and projectile trajectory, it's pretty cool I think and certainly not trial and error.

But those environments, oh man, just gorgeous! 

I just love all the mechanics too, it's an ingenious little game.

What does the definitive version add? (That's the one I'm playing)

It let's you return to the game world after the credits roll - something the original version didn't. There's an extra location as well. 

I'm with Majora on this one, although unlike him I completed the game. It's a serviceable Metroidvania which relies on its looks to give it a pass. While the platforming is OK, it's a forgettable experience and the combat is terrible. 

Ditto. I found the movement incredibly satisfying, and the failures were a quick route to improvement. In Hollow Knight I didn't like the combat, the movement, or the fact that long trudges after dying felt like I was wasting my life.

Bring on Ori 2.

• Upvote 2

How could anyone think the movement in this was just ok? Mental! It’s one of the best controlling platformers I’ve ever played. Maybe the best. Some of the escape sequences later in the game when you’ve got your full moveset are immense and exactly what the phrase ‘in-the-zone’ was invented for.

Brilliant game and can’t wait for the sequel. When is it out?

• Upvote 1