Cuphead. Classic cartoon inspired side-scroller - DLC out now!

Vemsie

I’m stuck on the Candy boss and her stupid waffle friend and annoying bullet thing. I get to the bit when she starts firing candy floss at me and can’t seem to end her. I’m loving this though. Went back to the Carrot and easily A+ him after spending some time at the fairground. Like how I’m improving without the game letting me realise I am by crushing me constantly. Could do with more of those ghost parry levels to break things up a bit. 

The ‘Cupheeeeead’ sound effect when you make it through a boss encounter is pure joy!

I'm also loving it. Starting to treat it as a series of individual platforming puzzles. Every boss is a fresh set of puzzles and tests and while I've found some bloody infuriating phases, once you get it down and squeeze through to another KNOCKOUT, it's really satisfying. I'm on Isle 3 now and every single one has been brick but really fun to figure out. The run and gun stages also get rock hard as you go along. 

I've just got to the final level and I think this is one of the most consistent and consistently brilliant things I've played in a long time. Almost everything seems insurmountable at first when you can't figure out a way through particular patterns but as your control of the character improves and as you figure out the strats and timing, there's a real flow to it which becomes so satisfying.

The penultimate stage is absolutely brick but it's one of the best of its kind I've ever played. I also love how thematically consistent but creative it is. As I said before, I've never had any fondness for this art style or music but it fits so perfectly here and gives them licence to go wild with the different phases and patterns and animations and character designs.

It's this, Sekiro and Rolling Gunner for my GOTY so far and I honestly feel like this might have the edge at this point. I think it's a masterpiece. 

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

@Stanshall, has it made you cry salty tears of frustration yet?

To be honest, not really this time around. When I played the opening levels on the XB I did find it unbearable in a number of ways, mostly the fidgety feel to the controls. It was almost too responsive and I couldn't get used to the hit boxes being the entire object or something, I don't know. It was hard as fuck, anyway, and made me want to snap things.

Maybe because I was prepared for that this time, and because I did start to get into the XB version a little while back before putting it aside while I waited for the Switch release, I've banged my head against any number of walls but while I've been frustrated and had some real last-second deaths to deal with, I think it's very very well balanced throughout.

I just completed it and the final level gave me a similar feeling to almost everything else in the game. It's bloody hard but 99.9% fair and when I finally did it, it was because I was ready. I'd nailed the first phases after probably thirty or forty attempts, maybe more, and I had enough health in the bank to make a couple of mistakes. I ended up saving my full super (invincibility) for the last phase because I saw it was relatively short and I just point blanked the bugger while invincible. Did him first time I reached the final phase, really satisfying.

Will I go back and attempt to S Rank any of this? Hmm, not sure I'm capable of that but very pleased to have completed it and I'll definitely run through it plenty more times. 

On 06/01/2019 at 10:43, Stanshall said:

Personally, I found the gameplay really really really frustrating and annoying. I love shmups, I love stuff that requires repetition and a bit of memory, I love grinding through the same sections of the Souls games until I figure them out but I couldn't bear these things in Cuphead and therefore I can't make any criticism of it that doesn't sound hypocritical. I go back to it every few months with renewed optimism and desire to take it on its own terms and every time it makes me want to chew up the pad. 

Hahaha. Reading back through the thread and found the salt. What a difference a day three and a bit months makes. 

I already had this on PC but as soon as I heard this was coming to Switch I had to have it! I eventually gave up playing the PC version partially due to the frustration/other games coming along.

I'm really glad I came back to this. I feel I've improved since the last time - I already have an A+ from the first flying stage which was unexpected! I don't feel as agitated as previous either, now that I have it on Switch I feel I can jump in and out of it in portable mode as I please depending on the mood I'm in.

1 hour ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Really happy for all you blissed out players because my rage for this game is boiling up in me something fierce. It’s just packed full of utter cuntiness.

Go on mate, which levels? Would be good to share in the rage. 

Well, I’ve done all bosses on Simple except the shoot-em-up level against the woman with the octopus on her head. There has been varying levels of rage leading up to that point but also some really great ones too (loved the robot one).

But the level that has fucked me off the most is the treetop level, trying to get that first coin from the parry winds me up no end. Then managed to fluke getting it and dashed into the end enemy instead of pressing the super button - was screaming bloody murder! You have to get every thing spot on, the game took margin for error and went nope, we won’t be needing that.

Have beaten the first Island on Regular, but not sure I have it in me to do the others...not tonight anyway. 

1 hour ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Well, I’ve done all bosses on Simple except the shoot-em-up level against the woman with the octopus on her head. There has been varying levels of rage leading up to that point but also some really great ones too (loved the robot one).

But the level that has fucked me off the most is the treetop level, trying to get that first coin from the parry winds me up no end. Then managed to fluke getting it and dashed into the end enemy instead of pressing the super button - was screaming bloody murder! You have to get every thing spot on, the game took margin for error and went nope, we won’t be needing that.

Have beaten the first Island on Regular, but not sure I have it in me to do the others...not tonight anyway. 

I cheesed it by using the auto parry charm.

I’m not very good at this. I’ve only done a few of the bosses on regular so far. Now I’m stuck on the 3rd run and gun level. I’m not convinced I’ll ever get past it.

I've found both to be absolutely fine. The colour palette is so bold and clear and projectiles are so distinct, it's totally fine on the small screen which I wouldn't say for all shmups in handheld (at least without the FlipGrip). 

4 hours ago, shirubagan said:

That dragon is a prick 

He sure is!

All i have left to do on island 2 is the dragon and the stupid egypt flying level. The bird one took a while, but after attempting it 20/30 times i was getting through to the last "stage" with most my life left.

Finished it all on regular over the weekend and I have to say, despite thinking I’d hate the gameplay, I got it just for the art style but ended up falling in love with it. It really does look and play great and is down for GOTY at the moment. The amount of love and craft in the visuals is really quite stunning.