rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

Playdead's INSIDE

I've only played half a dozen games from this year, but currently I think this pips Dark Souls 3 and The Last Guardian to the top spot. It's such a perfectly formed experience. 

• Upvote 4

Christ, this is incredible isn't it?  I just sat down this afternoon to try the demo and suddenly now it's 8pm and I've completed the full game.

• Upvote 7

Finished this yesterday and loved it as well, shall definitely be in my top 10 list for this year.  With headphones especially the sound is fantastic, my favourite section of the whole game being

the part with the shockwaves and avoiding those.  The oppressive sound and the constant *thuuuump* were brilliant, almost felt like you were underwater.

Some great deaths in their too which make you go 'ooh shit' when they happen :lol:

• Upvote 1

Played this through in one sitting today. It's very good. Dark, oppressive, great ending, some wonderful touches and incredible visuals... But it left me wanting. I'm not sure why. I normally lap these kind of games up, but this felt... Sterile. Clinical. I never really got any sense of heart from it, never any sense of loss at the deaths, never any sense of real fulfillment at the end or any moments in particular. Good, yes, but not GOTY by any stretch.

• Upvote 3

Similar to my experience APM.

And when the story failed to have the impact its apparently made on others I started to look for more in the gameplay.

There were lots of imaginative puzzle ideas that were engaging, but little to properly get my teeth into. Maybe ideas could have been a little more developed or offered more of a challenge, or maybe if it had some ace platforming gameplay for those puzzles to sit on top of it would have worked better. But yeah, ultimately the game lacks a bit of gameplay substance too.

As you point out though, there's lots to appreciate there.

1 hour ago, APM said:

Played this through in one sitting today. It's very good. Dark, oppressive, great ending, some wonderful touches and incredible visuals... But it left me wanting. I'm not sure why. I normally lap these kind of games up, but this felt... Sterile. Clinical. I never really got any sense of heart from it, never any sense of loss at the deaths, never any sense of real fulfillment at the end or any moments in particular. Good, yes, but not GOTY by any stretch.

Insanely wrong. Definite top 3 for me.

4 minutes ago, angel said:

Insanely wrong. Definite top 3 for me.

I'm glad you got something out of it. For me, I much preferred the brain teasers and general ambience of The Swapper over this. It all felt too calculated. Like there was no space in the game for me to really engage with it. For a game called Inside, it did a very good job of keeping me on the outside.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, APM said:

I'm glad you got something out of it. For me, I much preferred the brain teasers and general ambience of The Swapper over this. It all felt too calculated. Like there was no space in the game for me to really engage with it. For a game called Inside, it did a very good job of keeping me on the outside.

Yeah, I felt instant connection with it, it had me after 30 seconds. Boy, forest, shadows, Limbo developer...I was hooked. I think it was less calculated, more utterly polished over 6 years by a developer who knows this game style perfectly. It was a highlight reel of moments for me, the first "control" helmet had my jaw on the floor and it barely lifted throughout the rest. I don't know what The Swapper is without dangerously googling it.

• Upvote 3

But that polish got in the way for me. It never felt like I worked out how to do a puzzle, rather I just figured out the way the developers had designated a way puzzle should be solved. Like I said, there's lots to appreciate and it's a well crafted game, but for an interactive game, that interactivity is very limited. In a way, it reminded me of why I was a bit frosty on Uncharted 4 as that felt the same. Here's a game, but you better play it the way we tell you to play it.

• Upvote 1

That's strange, I felt like I was being invited into this incredible world, and I was thrilled to be experiencing what they had in store for me. It's so meticulously crafted, I wanted to do it as intended. I don't mean to sound condescending when I say this, but I'm glad I experienced it my way than yours. I was also hoping you'd give me a brief sell of this Swapper game.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, each to their own. No game is for everyone. The Swapper? Amazing 2D puzzler in which you make your way through an abandoned space mining station solving puzzles by creating copies of yourself and using them to trigger switches, swap to them etc. I was completely absorbed by it and felt like the puzzles were there to be solved rather than discovered. I heartily recommend it.

• Upvote 1

Yeah The Swapper's ace. Creates a nice abandoned space station atmosphere and hearing your clones crunch to their deaths as you sacrificed them in order to progress never lost impact. But it's also just a really good puzzler.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, angel said:

That's strange, I felt like I was being invited into this incredible world, and I was thrilled to be experiencing what they had in store for me. It's so meticulously crafted, I wanted to do it as intended. I don't mean to sound condescending when I say this, but I'm glad I experienced it my way than yours. I was also hoping you'd give me a brief sell of this Swapper game.

By the way Angel, did you get around to playing Final Station at all?

Who knew the Inside thread would sell me on playing The Swapper. Thanks chaps, it's been sat on my PS4 for months. Definitely next up when I finish bathing in the sweet sticky blood of Doom.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad I wasn't alone in being a bit underwhelmed by Inside. I think it's something to do with the puzzles not being complex enough to deliver a sense of satisfaction in the way the The Swapper, Braid, Talos Principle and Portal do (for example). I recently played through Max The Curse of Brotherhood, and found that overall a more enjoyable experience.

As everyone's said, The Swapper is excellent - hope you enjoy it, jonamok

• Upvote 2

Another vote for The Swapper. It's terrific, and stops at exactly the right time. The last couple of puzzles started to get a bit messy, and I'm pretty sure I did at least one of them in a completely different way that the developer expected, exploiting tiny pixel-sized areas to spawn copies of myself, etc.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

By the way Angel, did you get around to playing Final Station at all?

no mate but it's on the list - my backlog is killing me, im pretty much sworn off buying anything (apart from absurd bargains like the metal slug collection) in the first half of 2017 while I do them.  Not even RE7, I need to finish 5 and 6. But I will get to it.

Just cleared this.

Properly blown away. Wasn't expecting so much polish! And, so many amazing moments. This one is a game never to be forgotten. Brilliant.

Uh oh, things not good at Playdead..

http://kotaku.com/co-founder-of-inside-creators-gets-7-million-after-bus-1791348263

A messy split between the two co-founders of the game studio Playdead left one partner departing with roughly $7.2 million after being forced to exit, according to new details that emerged this week.

Playdead, an independent studio based in Copenhagen, is best known for making the macabre platformers Limbo and Inside. Last July, co-founder Dino Patti announced on Twitter that he had left the studio, leaving his former partner Arnt Jensen in charge. New details, which emerged this week thanks to the Danish newspaper Borsen, make it clear that the split wasn’t amicable.

Borsen brought to light several details about the power struggle and tension preceding Patti’s departure, including the $7.2 million payout and an intervention from the Danish Business Authority, which had reportedly forced Patti to leave. Patti told Kotaku in an e-mail that while he’s sad to have left the company he helped build, he thinks Playdead will live on “if run sensibly.”

After nearly ten years of partnering at Playdead, Patti and Jensen split because of a disagreement over how and when to release their video games, Borsen reports. Patti would not elaborate on the nature of the disagreement but told Kotaku that “the supposed timeline for the next project(s) and where I am in my life now” prompted his departure. According to the report, the two former partners were barely speaking as of 2015.

Jensen and Playdead did not respond to requests for comment.

It’s not clear exactly how the falling out between Patti and Jensen began, but part of it appears to involve a misunderstanding over a letter Jensen sent to Patti that Patti interpreted as a resignation. After some squabbling—and involvement from the Danish Business Authority, an organization that regulates business administration in Denmark—Patti took a payout of 50 million Danish krones ($7.2 million) in exchange for his shares of the company, leaving Playdead to Jensen.

“Arnt has been a really good friend and business partner for many years,” Patti told Kotaku. “I think he’s one of the best game-directors in the world.” Patti says he’s “exploring different opportunities” right now.

Good game but certainly not a contender for GOTY.  Found limbo the better game - inside just seemed a bit by the numbers.

Still,  as I said - I enjoyed it but once I was done with it I haven't really felt the inclination to go back - I played limbo a couple more times since finishing it.