Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

assuming there's a MASSIVE uptake in bone ownership between now and "holidays 2015", obviously.

did the previous TR game sell lots on the bone? more than on PS4?

Squeenix are taking a big hat, full of money gamble on the numbers being right. A triple-A title, in the run up to christmas, on a single format?

madness!

doesn't their financial year run april to april? I can't see the PS4 version not being delivered in the same financial period.

so it must be 3 months exclusivity, right?

I wasn't actually serious. It'll sell a decent amount. The publisher will have been paid a decent amount, MS get some possible Bone sales. :)

On 26 March 2013, Square Enix announced that the game sold 3.4 million copies worldwide at retail they stated the reboot had the set a new record for highest sales in the franchise's history.

While I agree with much that you have said, this is just wrong...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_video_games

I bring your attention to the seventh, eight and twelfth best selling ps1 games of all time... :)

While I agree with much that you have said, this is just wrong...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_video_games

I bring your attention to the seventh, eight and twelfth best selling ps1 games of all time... :)

Oops

altho my figures came from wiki too ;) over 6.5 sold does outsell the 12th tho ;)

At the time of the quote I am guessing they meant best selling for that period.

Anyhow the point stands that Tomb Raider is a great selling AAA.

And all comments saying "what about on Xbox One".. that wasnt my point, my point was that to say Tomb Raider doesnt sell very well is a nonsense.

I think it'll do decent numbers on Xbox One and do a decent number on Sony and PC 3-6 months later. I doubt sales will fall off a cliff unless the game is very poor.

EDIT - actually it having the 7th,8th and 12 best selling PS titles just goes to show how hard Core Design screwed the pooch with TR in the PS2 era. They had one of the franchise "big boys" like CoD or Fifa etc not just top ten for the year but top ten for a generation. They pissed it all away on Angel of Darkness and went into the wilderness for the PS2 era when they should have gone from strength to strength.

The fact that the franchise did as well as it did on it's return with Legend et al is remarkable in itself

Microsoft have presumably paid a shed load to make a game that doesn't sell very well exclusive for 3 months or so over Christmas 2015. And it's probably going to put it up against Uncharted 4.

MicrosoftLOL.

Which is why it's probably a good idea to have it marketed as an exclusive on a platform that doesn't have Uncharted 4, and then release it a few months later on PS4 so it's not directly competing with it.

But I'm not paying to play a substandard (i.e. Xbone) version of a substandard (i.e. console) release being held hostage by a developer who'd rather take money up front than put faith in the sales of their game (or readjust their ridiculous sales expectations!).

So what you're saying is that they should spend less making it? and then not bother doing any expensive advertising for it when they release it too? Maybe Square-Enix should do a deal with the workers in the US and do a payment on completion/dependent on sales contract, instead of the standard paying them upfront deal most employees seem to expect. Would reduce the need to find a partner to shoulder the risk.

The game had sold more than 1 million copies in less than forty-eight hours of its release

Tomb Raider set a new record for the franchise, more than doubling the debut sales of Tomb Raider: Legend. Furthermore, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Tomb Raider set new week one records as the fastest-selling individual formats of any Tomb Raider title so far

On 26 March 2013, Square Enix announced that the game sold 3.4 million copies worldwide at retail they stated the reboot had the set a new record for highest sales in the franchise's history.

As of June 2014, Tomb Raider has sold over 6.5 million units.

So given the above... doesnt sell very well compared to what? It has outsold each Uncharted according to any figures I've found. Uncharted 2 vs Tomb Raider is close but as still hasn't outsold it.

Tomb Raider is one of the best selling AAA franchises that aren't in the "big boys" (Fifa, CoD, battlefield etc) to say it doesnt sell very well is nonsense.

Uncharted 3 sold 3.8 million worldwide ...On day one.

Uncharted as a franchise has sold 19 million. On 2 platforms if you include Vita.

Tomb Raider reboot , available on 6 platforms has sold 6.5 million. In total. It was available for £25 about 2 weeks after release. I know, I bought it.

When I say "doesn't sell particularly well, I mean as a fully fledged advertised exclusive that MS made a big deal of. A system seller, it aint.

Which is why it's probably a good idea to have it marketed as an exclusive on a platform that doesn't have Uncharted 4, and then release it a few months later on PS4 so it's not directly competing with it.

Yup. It deffo makes sense to put it up as system seller against a proven system seller around Christmas time.

Yup. It deffo makes sense to put it up as system seller against a proven system seller around Christmas time.

It's not about just the one game though, it's what you can get as a whole - so some people are now going to choose an XBox One with Halo 5 and Tomb Raider 2 and other MS exclusives over a PS4 with Uncharted 4 and it's other exclusives.

It's not about just the one game though, it's what you can get as a whole - so some people are now going to choose an XBox One with Halo 5 and Tomb Raider 2 and other MS exclusives over a PS4 with Uncharted 4 and it's other exclusives.

Precisely... I am mulling over switching to Xbox One now as the exclusives/timed exclusives on Xbox One are now more numerous which is my usual benchmark for buying a machine.

Now if I could just get over the fact that I would know that all the multiplats are performing worse on the Xbox One!

It's not about just the one game though, it's what you can get as a whole - so some people are now going to choose an XBox One with Halo 5 and Tomb Raider 2 and other MS exclusives over a PS4 with Uncharted 4, and it's other exclusives, AND Tomb Raider2 (eventually)

Corrected.

I don't think TR2 is the tipping point you think it is.

Halo5 vs UC4 is oranges and apples.

But, given a choice of a bone with TR2 or a ps4 with UC4 *and* TR2...

Well now. Not so clear cut, eh?

No it didn't.

Tomb Raider sells well as a franchise AAA title... will it do so as a timed MS exclusive? we'll find out.

I suspect it's going to benefit from a big MS funded marketing push now, and sequels to good games often do better. I'm not going to be put off buying the game in Spring 2017 rather than Autumn 2016, so I can't see them losing sales if the game is any good.

Exclusives like this are a real MS strong suit, and they're sensible to make the most of the only thing they've done well. I'm sure that Titanfall, Halo, Forza Horizon have given us all pause, and even timed exclusives that are also available on 360 and will soon be on PS4 like Plants v Zombies have been a feather in XBone's cap. Admittedly that's in a launch period with relatively slim pickings so any bright spots stand out. Hopefully by 2016-2017 we'll be drowning in games so a short wait for something like this will be easily borne.

They're all quite conservative, safe choices though, aren't they? I prefer Sony's largesse being distributed over a whole load of interesting could-be-good, could be shit stuff myself.

he's taking into account the average delay in games being released these days ;)

(looks at 2014 schedule and sighs)

Ha, sorry. By 2017 everything should be amazing. I'm hoping to have suspend and resume on my PS4 and everything.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/08/13/xboxs-phil-spencer-responds-tomb-raider-exclusivity-questions

When I asked straight up whether Tomb Raider was a timed exclusive or a full exclusive on Xbox One, Spencer said that it “has a duration”. “I didn’t buy the IP, so I don’t own Tomb Raider as a franchise. Our deal obviously has a duration,” he clarified. “If I owned the IP it would be forever, but I don’t own the IP and I don’t own development of Tomb Raider on any other platform. So if you ask me, is Tomb Raider going to ship on another platform, I actually can’t give you an answer because I’m not the developer of the game.

I can talk about Tomb Raider coming to Xbox in 2015 exclusively, right - that’s the deal I have on the game, but I don’t own the IP.”

According to this Kotaku article, TR:DE made 69% of it's sales on PS4. It doesn't specify the actual number of units sold across next-gen consoles though, and given that article was published back in Februay, the percentages may have changed.

Does that surprise anyone? Sold more on a console that, let's be honest, had a minimal amount of games worth playing at the time that also looked better on PS4.