Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

I'd guess it's a three month window rather than a six month one, or possibly even less. Microsoft keep repeating the Holiday 2015 thing, and taken literally the Eurogamer quotes imply that SE have full control after that.

Why didn't they just come right out and say "Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive for Xbox" and avoid all this fucking confusion.

Because all the gaming websites and mainstream press headlines said 'TOMB RAIDER EXCLUSIVE TO XBOX' this morning and that's what will stick with most people who only follow gaming news casually. Don't underestimate those sly, slippery Microsoft bastards. They're still the same arseholes they were last year despite trying to appear more humble in public.

Is it so fucking difficult to be clear to both existing and potential customers? Stuff like this really does my nut in. Were they seriously expecting nobody to question their vague "Exclusive to Xbox Holiday 2015" wording? Why didn't they just come right out and say "Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive for Xbox" and avoid all this fucking confusion. Instead they just look like complete dicks (again) because they're too busy trying to pull the wool over our eyes (again).

And their subterfuge lasted all of a day, and all it got them was some bad press and a lot of gamer backlash.

If the last instalment is anything to go buy, they will have to release on PS4 at cut price, because by then it will be £20-30 on Xbone.

Microsoft have presumably paid a shed load to make a game that doesn't sell very well exclusive for 3 months or so over Christmas 2015. And it's probably going to put it up against Uncharted 4.

MicrosoftLOL.

Did they have an amazing offer on, otherwise I can't imagine why you'd pre-order a game 16 months away.

If you pre-order you get the lowest price charged at any point over that time and can cancel.

I pre-order everything I might want and just cancel it toward the release if I decide I don't want it.

Do we even know if Uncharted 4 will hit this Christmas? Aside from the short E3 reveal there's been nothing.

I'm assuming "Holiday period 2015." Means November 2015 onwards. I suspect Sony are already planning just how much Uncharted piss to pour on Microsofts chips.

I suppose SE looked at the deal - realised they would probably struggle to sell huge numbers on PS4 if matched up against UC4 and got a big bag of cash from MS with the bonus that they can move the PS4/PC release to a quieter point in the release schedule where it may get some extra sales since everyone will have played and traded UC4 by that point.

Microsoft have presumably paid a shed load to make a game that doesn't sell very well exclusive for 3 months or so over Christmas 2015.

The game had sold more than 1 million copies in less than forty-eight hours of its release

Tomb Raider set a new record for the franchise, more than doubling the debut sales of Tomb Raider: Legend. Furthermore, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Tomb Raider set new week one records as the fastest-selling individual formats of any Tomb Raider title so far

On 26 March 2013, Square Enix announced that the game sold 3.4 million copies worldwide at retail they stated the reboot had the set a new record for highest sales in the franchise's history.

As of June 2014, Tomb Raider has sold over 6.5 million units.

So given the above... doesnt sell very well compared to what? It has outsold each Uncharted according to any figures I've found. Uncharted 2 vs Tomb Raider is close but as still hasn't outsold it.

Tomb Raider is one of the best selling AAA franchises that aren't in the "big boys" (Fifa, CoD, battlefield etc) to say it doesnt sell very well is nonsense.

The game had sold more than 1 million copies in less than forty-eight hours of its release

Tomb Raider set a new record for the franchise, more than doubling the debut sales of Tomb Raider: Legend. Furthermore, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Tomb Raider set new week one records as the fastest-selling individual formats of any Tomb Raider title so far

On 26 March 2013, Square Enix announced that the game sold 3.4 million copies worldwide at retail they stated the reboot had the set a new record for highest sales in the franchise's history.

So given the above... doesnt sell very well compared to what? It has outsold each Uncharted according to any figures I've found. Uncharted 2 vs Tomb Raider is close but as still hasn't outsold it.

Tomb Raider is one of the best selling AAA franchises that aren't in the "big boys" (Fifa, CoD, battlefield etc) to say it doesnt sell very well is nonsense.

and on xbox one?

So given the above... doesnt sell very well compared to what? It has outsold each Uncharted according to any figures I've found. Uncharted 2 vs Tomb Raider is close but as still hasn't outsold it..

So Uncharted 2, a game released on one platform came close to outselling the multiformat Tomb Raider?

You're doing it wrong - MICRO$$$OFT BAD TOMB GAYDAR IS 720P SHIT.

It'll sell lots.

assuming there's a MASSIVE uptake in bone ownership between now and "holidays 2015", obviously.

did the previous TR game sell lots on the bone? more than on PS4?

Squeenix are taking a big hat, full of money gamble on the numbers being right. A triple-A title, in the run up to christmas, on a single format?

madness!

doesn't their financial year run april to april? I can't see the PS4 version not being delivered in the same financial period.

so it must be 3 months exclusivity, right?

It can't sell as many as the first one as their aren't enough Xbox Ones to buy it on.

true. But I guess they've been given enough money to make it seem worthwhile.

And MS will have time exclusivity on a game series that seems to be starting to get its mojo back. Anything to sway a descision towards an XboxOne I guess as far as MS are concerned.

Like someone else mentioned, it also means being able to release on PS4 at a quieter period. Everyone's a winner.