Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

Apparently the official line is: "In Holiday 2015, Rise of the Tomb Raider will be exclusive to Xbox."

Seems like a case of clarification through suspect obfuscation to me.

And Microsoft have never done that before...

I'm not so sure the feeling would be massively negative had Sony paid for this exclusive.

Maybe in volumes of owners due to the sale ratio, but it's a crap business strategy whoever does it. I keep saying, sony are making better decisions at the moment but it could change.

I really hope this does turn out to be a timed exclusive and arrives on PC at some point.

I absolutely loved the reboot (apart from the mutliplayer, that was dogshit) and was looking forward to the next one in the series :(

Well.....that's a shame.

Was a definite buy for me on my Playstation. I guess the financial package MS offered far outweighs potential PS sales.

I understand people saying that this creates a lot of hostility and bad will from PS gamers towards Crystal Dynamics and the Tomb Raider brand. Which is again, a bit of a shame, as the reboot deserved praise and success.

It's kind of a strange decision when they are once again trying to establish Tomb Raider as a dominant brand in gaming. Having it only on one console might get them the money now...but in the long term, I think it would have been better to keep it multi-format.

I do not recall Tomb Raider being touted as the great game of 2015 before exclusivity was announced. I am sure that it will be good, probably very good. But the last game was one of the lower-end AAA titles from the end of the last gen and had really lost its crown to the Uncharted series. I'd certainly pick it in a sale, but as a franchise it is a diminished series compared to a decade ago.

For me the TR reboot was a lot better than the cinematic wankery known as UC3 which seemed to have abandoned any pretence about being an actual exploration game. And focused on it's uninteresting main storyline and overplayed setpieces.

TR had better exploration,better weapons,enemy encounters. And a much more tense and interesting atmosphere and island.

Certain things needed to be thought out like better like the tomb puzzles which were a bit too easy, but that's something they say will be much improved in the sequel, but overall it was a great game for me.

Looking forward to the new game next year.

Makes sense if it's a timed exclusive. MS can promote the hell out of it around Christmas as an exclusive and get a lot of sales, then Square Enix can release it the next year in that March/ April deadzone on PS4 and make more. We're seeing games being pushed back this year so they don't get lost in the Christmas flood, this seems like a good way around that by Squenix.

Makes sense if it's a timed exclusive. MS can promote the hell out of it around Christmas as an exclusive and get a lot of sales, then Square Enix can release it the next year in that March/ April deadzone on PS4 and make more. We're seeing games being pushed back this year so they don't get lost in the Christmas flood, this seems like a good way around that by Squenix.

I hope someone tells MS that that's whats actually happening. They seem to think it's exclusive to the xbox... (possibly meaning 360 and one... and surface and phone.)

Considering Angry Joe's schtick is so toxic it made a creator leave the industry, I'm pretty happy when he's unhappy. Fuck that guy, stop giving him hits.

Think you got the wrong guy. Angry Joe is one of the better Youtube "personalities". His interview with Major Nelson back when they unveiled their original vision for the Xbone was great in that he actually grilled him and called him out on stuff.

Edit - Video for anyone interested.

This is weird news. Unless you played the first game on Saturn then console owning Tomb Raider fans are often going to strongly associate the brand with Playstation (don't even get me started on them excluding all the people who've exclusively played the entire series on PC). Unless you started with Legend or Anniversary or whichever one was released on 360 first then long term fans probably played their first Tomb Raider game on Playstation, and if you add that bad feeling to the exclusion of PC gamers and the fact that the Ps4 is ahead in sales it makes for bad publicity.

I understand why squeenix have done this and I don't believe for a second that Crystal Dynamics had anything to do with it. SE set crazy targets for the last game and they want to secure a certain amount of cash. I'd peg it as another blunder by Microsoft though, it's just not a big enough game. I can't see them encouraging many people to buy Bones with it in comparison to if they'd grabbed one of the genuine big hitters.

Personally I'm just glad it's not Deus Ex.

I can understand Microsoft wanting to grab some big hitters to try and get people on-board. Seems an odd title to go for though, as I can't think of a single person who would purchase a system for a Tomb Raider game these days. The series seemed to have gone down the I'll buy it when it's cheap route years ago!

Oh I don't know. They'll probably start marketing it as the Xbox version of Uncharted (which the last one pretty much was) and that would help sales I reckon. It also doesn't hurt that the last one was good fun, so if people are desperate enough to play it and know it's not coming out on anything else it's just another reason to take the plunge.