Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

42 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah but in this case it was timed exclusivity so they’ll still get that revenue eventually, and in this case the deal was struck pretty early on in the generation, so I doubt there was much in it. 

It was two years in and it was clear the Xbox One was selling poorly early on. It was certainly well understood that Microsoft had jettisoned most of their studios at this stage and desperately needed an exclusive to drive hardware sales. I'd be interested in how these deals get negotiated and structured but Squeenix must have know that a big title like Tomb Raider would have been very valuable to Xbox and that MS have very deep pockets. They would have had them over a barrel in terms of negotiation and I'd be surprised if many other timed exclusives cost anything like that, even for Microsoft.  

I'd bet they don't get the revenue on the other platform that they would have gotten (whichever way a platform-exclusive goes) - you get all that launch press and review and hype once, not the year later when it goes multi-platform. Who wants last year's game? Not everyone.

I would expect Tomb Raider was unusually expensive given Microsoft’s need for exclusives and that, even in its current diminished state, the series is quite a big deal. I would be surprised if, say, Godfall’s exclusivity cost anywhere near as much. 

7 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

No question, but then I doubt it was anything like 100 million in lost revenue. I dunno, that still seems like a fantastical figure to me, we can't be sure that's accurate. 

I find it hard to believe that there would be inaccurate or exaggerated information on someone’s LinkedIn profile. 

3 hours ago, K said:

I would expect Tomb Raider was unusually expensive given Microsoft’s need for exclusives and that, even in its current diminished state, the series is quite a big deal. I would be surprised if, say, Godfall’s exclusivity cost anywhere near as much. 

It’s a big deal, and of course it meant they had something to challenge Uncharted 4 which was Sony’s big exclusive at the time. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I was listening to a podcast earlier mentioned that Midway licensed the phrase 'Lets Get Ready to Rumble' for use in games exclusively forever. That cost a hundred million dollars as well :lol:  

Latest OSW? Fair play to Michael Buffer for effectively ensuring his family never have to work again off the back of five words.

3 hours ago, K said:

Apparently not, Gearbox got more than $100 million for Borderlands 3 exclusivity on the Epic Store, and I'd have said that was a lower-profile series than Tomb Raider and with less lost revenue due to both consoles being unaffected. These deals just seem to be expensive in general.