IGNORED

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 15:07, Sie said:

Well for what its worth, I've *really* enjoyed this. I started playing it when it got released on PC but I never gave it my full attention. Rectifying that now and what a ride it's been - I've always been a Tomb Raider fan (the original game still being the one I have the most fondness for) but I think I'm finally at peace with the series leaving behind what those early games were and to stop forever comparing the new stuff to Lara's first, more isolated adventures. That said, I agree with you @womblingfree that this game has moments that strongly evoke that tomb-y stuff of yesteryear (certainly more than the reboot)

But my word is this game pretty. Just stunning at times. And when this game is good, it's up there with the best of what Uncharted has to offer in my opinion. Utterly jaw dropping vistas, climbing mechanics that feel decently involving and combat that flows really well. I've always felt like I've had plenty of options to mix it up when gunplay comes around and never felt put off by the game throwing some enemies my way.

And screenshots just don't do it justice (spoiler warning: late game screenshot below).

Reveal hidden contents

G7whUtb.png

There are some downsides though - I think Camilla Luddington's performance is a bit off. Lots of energy and some great mo-cap but she also has a habit of delivering a lot of her lines like she's struggling to read an ancient text even when she isn't. Stilted and overly dramatic delivery like a bad radio play - "This....mmmm...must be...some kind....of.....mechan....ism. Got to....see if I can.....get......it working some....how". Meh, less of that please.

Anyway, I'm not quite done yet so I'm gonna get back to finishing it today. Not sure I'll 100% it but I've made sure to finish all the Secret Tombs before doing this last stretch of game.

Camilla whatsherface is fucking shit and should be sacked from the job immediately

12 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I'm struggling a bit to muster the enthusiasm to keep plodding on with this. There's no challenge and too much collectathon guff: relics, satchels, maps, coins, documents, murals, posters, supply caches, bullseyes, monoliths, mushrooms, gemstones, blah blah blah. Last night I spent 15 minutes looking for chickens to throw in a pen before I realised what I was doing.

You don't actually "explore", in any meaningful sense of the term, to find all this stuff; you just follow the markers, or ignore everything else and hone in on anything that glows yellow. I'm scared I'm going to break my R3 stick from having to press it in all the time to activate survival instinct mode. I tried playing for a bit with the glowiness off in the menus, but doing so then makes it too difficult to see anything as one box which is apparently openable looks exactly the same as those which aren't. When you do actually get to a bit where it's necessary to engage your brain, albeit ever so slightly, like in the challenge tombs (which are an "optional" part of the game by the way - raiding tombs is the optional part of Tomb Raider), after spending more than 30 seconds figuring out what to do, Lara bloody tells you what to do anyway! I had this last night, couldn't believe it - just arrived in a promising little puzzle room involving levers and pulleys and thought to myself, "Ok, this looks a bit more promising", then spent a few brief moments poking about, only for Lara to open her big gob and shout out, "I MUST HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO TIE A ROPE TO THAT LEVER. MAYBE I CAN USE MY ROPE ARROWS." Thanks a fucking lot, Lara. So, immediately, any sense of enigma or figuring things out for myself was shattered and I begrudgingly completed the puzzle, collected my experience points, or whatever other forgettable reward I received, and left.

And Lara herself is just irritating in general. She breathes too loudly and never shuts up and doesn't stop fiddling with her hair. And she pronounces "lever" like "leather", despite apparently being from an English aristocratic family.

Anyway. I've got up to the Geothermal Valley area. Am I near the end?

About half way there.

15 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I'm struggling a bit to muster the enthusiasm to keep plodding on with this. There's no challenge and too much collectathon guff: relics, satchels, maps, coins, documents, murals, posters, supply caches, bullseyes, monoliths, mushrooms, gemstones, blah blah blah. Last night I spent 15 minutes looking for chickens to throw in a pen before I realised what I was doing.

That area just doesn't belong in the game it's weirdly out of place. Like some dope played skyrim and decided to cram a hippy village in.  

Ironically it would have been a near perfect place for something a bit crazy like idk

a giant t-rex battle?

which would also have been out of place but at least in context of the series. 

• 4 weeks later...

I started playing this a little before Christmas and despite enjoying the tomb raider before it I just wasn't feeling this one. I played a bit but felt like I was just going through the motions. I got distracted by another game and haven't gone back to it since. I cant really say exactly what I wasn't enjoying as it looked amazing and felt polished but there is something lacking for sure. 

On 22/05/2018 at 06:46, Jamie John said:

When you do actually get to a bit where it's necessary to engage your brain, albeit ever so slightly, like in the challenge tombs (which are an "optional" part of the game by the way - raiding tombs is the optional part of Tomb Raider), after spending more than 30 seconds figuring out what to do, Lara bloody tells you what to do anyway! I had this last night, couldn't believe it - just arrived in a promising little puzzle room involving levers and pulleys and thought to myself, "Ok, this looks a bit more promising", then spent a few brief moments poking about, only for Lara to open her big gob and shout out, "I MUST HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO TIE A ROPE TO THAT LEVER. MAYBE I CAN USE MY ROPE ARROWS." Thanks a fucking lot, Lara. So, immediately, any sense of enigma or figuring things out for myself was shattered and I begrudgingly completed the puzzle, collected my experience points, or whatever other forgettable reward I received, and left.

This is what you get when you've set out to make game that will inevitably cost circa $100 million to build - everything has to be as easy and obvious as possible to bring in the widest possible audience.

I don’t know how I feel about this at all. I understand my reaction was bit strong, but I was drunk and fighting a stupid boss at 00:30 and I stick by my outburst. 

I think it’s because I enjoy all the bits which don’t involve me killing loads of people, but there are far too many of those bits so I just end up sighing, taking out a few enemies with headshots then just windmilling in, spamming Y until everyone is dead, then happily continuing exploring and jumping around. 

Part III just looks like murder sim so I might give it a miss until it’s on Game Pass or something. 

• 4 weeks later...

After breaking my arm and having some surgery on my elbow I've not been up to playing games for the last week or so. But Rise is slowly helping me recover. I have minimal use of my left hand, fingers get a bit achy and stiff after about 30 minutes. Every day the feeling is slowly coming back and I can do a bit more, go a bit further.

Perhaps not the most ringing endorsement for a game but this is just the tonic I need. Everything is clearly signposted so I don't have to think too hard and get frustrated. Plus taking down enemies is straightforward yet satisfying. It feels like I am playing a proper old-school videogame but with none of the painful backtracking and head-scratching over where to go next.

In my current condition the hand-holding is much appreciated. Loving it so far.

I’m playing through this for the first time (as it was on sale.) I reckon I’m about half way through.

It’s very beautiful to look at - clearly a lot of love has been put into this game. It plays well. However, am I the only one who finds it too relentlessly dark and violent? This is from someone who loved to inhabit the world of Silent Hill 2 more than any other back in the day! I’m all for bleak atmospheres, but for some reason in this instance it seems too much - and too one dimensional.

The fact that the misery, ultraviolence and nonstop seriousness is combined with a generally poor script (as pointed out by many) probably doesn’t help. I understand it’s a rebooted, ‘grittier’ approach to Tomb Raider, and as said am usually fine with this sort of thing, but perhaps I still expect a tiny bit of emotional variation here or there, an occasional glimpse of humour, or at least more ‘neutral’ zones, (like so many of the jungle locales in the first three games with the beautiful flute theme humming away in the background....) 

The optional challenge tombs are by far my favourite part of the game and come closer to that, but even they often end up filled with that same very heavy background music and an intensely foreboding atmosphere. 

Still, it’s nowhere near as severe as the first Reboot was. That river of blood! Those endlessly hyper-vivid death sequences! I’m glad they toned back a little bit on the almost voyeuristic suffering Lara endured there, and think the new game works better for having less of a constant survival horror bloodfest feel.

On 17/06/2018 at 15:38, Smitty said:

This is what you get when you've set out to make game that will inevitably cost circa $100 million to build - everything has to be as easy and obvious as possible to bring in the widest possible audience.

Also a note here on what Jamie John is talking about: you cannot switch of Lara's endless babbling about how to complete puzzles. If you're going to put that bullshit in the game at least make it something that you can switch off.

17 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

After breaking my arm and having some surgery on my elbow I've not been up to playing games for the last week or so. But Rise is slowly helping me recover. I have minimal use of my left hand, fingers get a bit achy and stiff after about 30 minutes. Every day the feeling is slowly coming back and I can do a bit more, go a bit further.

Perhaps not the most ringing endorsement for a game but this is just the tonic I need. Everything is clearly signposted so I don't have to think too hard and get frustrated. Plus taking down enemies is straightforward yet satisfying. It feels like I am playing a proper old-school videogame but with none of the painful backtracking and head-scratching over where to go next.

In my current condition the hand-holding is much appreciated. Loving it so far.

What a great advert for the game - 'Great game... if you've broken your arm'

On 16/07/2018 at 13:03, cohen205 said:

What a great advert for the game - 'Great game... if you've broken your arm'

On 16/07/2018 at 13:03, cohen205 said:

Perhaps not the most ringing endorsement for a game but this is just the tonic I need.

Yeah, that's about the sum of it.

Exploring a bit further the casual murdering of NPC guards is a strange one for sure. They could've easily made Lara do some kind of sleeper hold instead which would sit better.

On 16/07/2018 at 01:59, CS2x said:

I’m playing through this for the first time (as it was on sale.) I reckon I’m about half way through.

It’s very beautiful to look at - clearly a lot of love has been put into this game. It plays well. However, am I the only one who finds it too relentlessly dark and violent? 

I'm only an hour or so in and I'm already struggling a bit with the brutality of it all. I'm fresh from a Wind Waker binge over the weekend so this was probably the worst thing to play almost immediately afterwards. Bleugh. 

9 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Yeah, that's about the sum of it.

Exploring a bit further the casual murdering of NPC guards is a strange one for sure. They could've easily made Lara do some kind of sleeper hold instead which would sit better.

works for batman...

• 6 months later...

Did the option to remove camera shake and turn off auto-correct on the camera ever get patched into the PS4 version of this? I just finished it on PC (where those options were indeed patched in and made it finally playable for me), and with it being cheap on PS4 at the moment I feel I may play through it again in future with 4K shinies. The demo doesn't have it but I assume that never changed anyway. I know the Bone version never got updated.

Sorry for the bump. Google only throws up people complaining about the issue from two years ago.

• 1 year later...

Downloaded as part of this months PS+ Games. This is a great looking game - checking back - 2014 - wow

This is the first TR games I've played since number 2, and yet the first hour I think play like just about every other action adventure game since. 

It's hard to judge if there is a game in here currently, its all bomb blast, set pieces and linear stuff. 

Worth persevering with it?

9 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Downloaded as part of this months PS+ Games. This is a great looking game - checking back - 2014 - wow

This is the first TR games I've played since number 2, and yet the first hour I think play like just about every other action adventure game since. 

It's hard to judge if there is a game in here currently, its all bomb blast, set pieces and linear stuff. 

Worth persevering with it?

I had to check to see if I already had this or if I should download it from PS+ - it's that kind of game, initially it will wow you a bit and then it gets samey and getting to the end is a struggle. It's one of those franchises like Assassin's Creed that you'll probably get your money's worth, but something else will grab your attention, you'll promise yourself you'll go back and complete it one day, but you never do.

• 1 year later...

Rise of the Tomb Raider was the only one with any kind of exclusivity deal, wasn’t it? I think the reboot and Shadow of the Tomb Raider came out on both Xbox and PlayStation at the same time. 

You can see why publishers sign up to exclusivity arrangements when they basically pay for the development cost alone.

If you're talking $100 million for a single title, Sony must be close to a billion on their various exclusives this gen - FFVII:RE (plus sequels), FFXVI, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Forspoken, Godfall (lol), various smaller games, exclusive DLC, etc.

1 hour ago, petrolgirls said:

Install base, obviously. What you're paying for, in large part, is the publishers lost revenue from other consoles they could have launched on. 

Yeah but in this case it was timed exclusivity so they’ll still get that revenue eventually, and in this case the deal was struck pretty early on in the generation, so I doubt there was much in it. 

42 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah but in this case it was timed exclusivity so they’ll still get that revenue eventually, and in this case the deal was struck pretty early on in the generation, so I doubt there was much in it. 

It was two years in and it was clear the Xbox One was selling poorly early on. It was certainly well understood that Microsoft had jettisoned most of their studios at this stage and desperately needed an exclusive to drive hardware sales. I'd be interested in how these deals get negotiated and structured but Squeenix must have know that a big title like Tomb Raider would have been very valuable to Xbox and that MS have very deep pockets. They would have had them over a barrel in terms of negotiation and I'd be surprised if many other timed exclusives cost anything like that, even for Microsoft.