IGNORED

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

8 minutes ago, Napole0n said:

Any word on a third game in this reboot series?

Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Eidos Montreal leading development. That's about it.

Could potentially be late this year, I suppose, although early 2018 is a safer bet. It'll probably be at E3; I imagine Microsoft will want to push it as a Scorpio showcase, albeit free of dubious exclusivity this time.

• 2 weeks later...

I reached the "point of no return" checkpoint on this game the other day, so I'm nearly finished it ... but have decided to backtrack and get 100% in all areas before I make the final push.

Can't say I'm that impressed with it. It looks amazing, of course, but, unbelievably, still nowhere near enough actual tomb raiding going on, 99% of enemies are just annoying alpha-male arseholes, and that looting/crafting bullshit can just gtf. The most annoying thing is that whenever you think: "oh great, finally, a big tomb of silence and mystery for me to explore!", there's an explosion in the roof, a SWAT team abseils in, and it turns into a rubbish version of Gears Of War.

My ideal Tomb Raider game has no story other than "Lara goes to location X to steal mythical item Y" ... seven or eight nice big labyrinthine locations, with absolutely no story linking them other than "Lara Croft is cool" ... enemies should include wildlife, bizarre creepy crawly things, mysterious reincarnated mummies, skeleton warriors and suchlike. Why is that so hard to do?

6/10

• 1 month later...

Well for what its worth, I've *really* enjoyed this. I started playing it when it got released on PC but I never gave it my full attention. Rectifying that now and what a ride it's been - I've always been a Tomb Raider fan (the original game still being the one I have the most fondness for) but I think I'm finally at peace with the series leaving behind what those early games were and to stop forever comparing the new stuff to Lara's first, more isolated adventures. That said, I agree with you @womblingfree that this game has moments that strongly evoke that tomb-y stuff of yesteryear (certainly more than the reboot)

But my word is this game pretty. Just stunning at times. And when this game is good, it's up there with the best of what Uncharted has to offer in my opinion. Utterly jaw dropping vistas, climbing mechanics that feel decently involving and combat that flows really well. I've always felt like I've had plenty of options to mix it up when gunplay comes around and never felt put off by the game throwing some enemies my way.

And screenshots just don't do it justice (spoiler warning: late game screenshot below).

G7whUtb.png

There are some downsides though - I think Camilla Luddington's performance is a bit off. Lots of energy and some great mo-cap but she also has a habit of delivering a lot of her lines like she's struggling to read an ancient text even when she isn't. Stilted and overly dramatic delivery like a bad radio play - "This....mmmm...must be...some kind....of.....mechan....ism. Got to....see if I can.....get......it working some....how". Meh, less of that please.

Anyway, I'm not quite done yet so I'm gonna get back to finishing it today. Not sure I'll 100% it but I've made sure to finish all the Secret Tombs before doing this last stretch of game.

• 2 weeks later...

Just dropping in this thread for a quick post. Recently started playing this (finally!!!!!) on Xbox and my gooood this game is beautiful.

But I'm like stuck at 12 years old, so rather than presenting you with a beautiful screenshot, I'll leave you with this romance in death capture.

SleR3Cqh.jpg

• 6 months later...

Started this tonight, having never played a main Tomb Raider game before (played Guardian of Light and LC: Go). First impression, after a couple of hours, is it’s really, really enjoyable.

As said, never controlled ‘proper’ Lara before, so don’t know how this compares to the classic version but liking the approach to adventure this offers. Feels very Uncharted-influenced, albeit with smoother climbing. So far only had one section of combat, and liked being able uk stealth my way through the snow, using a bow and arrow bringing back fond memories of Aloy. Only real criticism is being reliant on R3 to highlight points of interest. Doing so breaks any immersion somewhat, which is a shame because the atmosphere is otherwise finely crafted.

Pleased I finally started it though, feels like a solid adventure lies ahead.

• 2 months later...

Just starting this after getting an X. I'm absolutely loving it, much more so than I did uncharted 4. It looks gorgeous and structurally is open enough for me to feel like I'm exploring the lands without feeling too open and daunting. The puzzles don't have much depth so I might get bored with it but so far loving it and loving chaining headshots with the bow!

Playing this on PC. Really enjoying it and glad there is more tomb raiding than the last one. Story seems fairly forgettable bit I wasn't expecting anything amazing. 

Would appreciate more enemy variety and the incentive to use some more of my skills. I mainly just headshot everything with the bow, which is great fun, triple shot is pretty OP. 

• 3 months later...

I may have to retry it when I finally upgrade to a 1440p monitor.

I was gonna go with 4k, but my 1070ti probably can't achieve 4k60 without some serious visual compromises.  I instead opted to connect my PC to my 4k TV for the occasional 4k30fps gaming session.  Looks smoother at 30 on my tv than on my monitor.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm finally done with this. I considered doing all the collectibles/collectables (?) and things and ran around for ages but I've given up now. Don't really see the point in using a guide for this stuff, takes the fun out! And using pumpkins as basketballs, really? :lol:

But I enjoyed the game and am very much looking forward to the next installment. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

I am soooo late to this party but I'm having a blast.

I've never played the first rebooted Tomb Raider game properly despite picking it up in a sale, so I'm starting there and have proper blitzed it so far this week.  I started it two years ago but I found the survival section at the start pretty stressful (I'm so lame) and I wasn't really sure how the game would pan out overall.  Once I got a weapon or two and the mechanics settled (e.g. knowing there'll always be ammo!) I relaxed into it a lot more and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I've gone through a couple of the earlier areas quite quickly and am getting the hang/point of all the exploring now with the added gadgets and weapons.  Game says I'm about 40% through, and then it's on to Rise of the Tomb Raider thanks to Game Pass :D

So I finished the first game on Tuesday!  Really loved it, on the whole, but there were things I didn't like:

As above, I found the opening really irritating.  It certainly set the scene for survival, I suppose, and in the context of the whole game, this works.  However it made the first couple of hours really unapproachable, constantly dying and repeating QTE events until you got the hang of it.  In those early moments it did feel a bit more survival horror than anything else, which is a style I don't really enjoy.  Again, I understand the choice and in the context of Lara becoming who she does, I suppose it needed that to make the transition understandable and believable, but it's not really representative of the gameplay later on (which is excellent).

I've started Rise of the Tomb Raider, and I think this handles the opening much better.  Having a flashback sequence is ideal as it really touches on what the gameplay is and will be, before returning you to a fairly vulnerable state.  I'm not sure how they could've done this with the first game though as it doesn't make sense in terms of story!  Again with the repeated QTE deaths though :lol: maybe I'm just terrible at games now.

What I really loved about Tomb Raider is that it gives you just enough pointers to make things achievable, but doesn't make stuff obvious enough so you actually feel pretty smart figuring things out too.  Survival Instincts and Maps and Treasure Maps are optional, looking at the environment I think it's clever the way you may find something to salvage in a position that's close to an otherwise difficult to spot ramp that will lead you somewhere else for a relic or document.  Very clever subtle signposting.

In my old age I also struggle with having too much choice in games.  I like to just play and not worry about whether I'm doing the wrong thing first, if I'm making the "right" choice.  Tomb Raider laid out its structure pretty cleverly near the beginning, it was obvious you could return places, and for the most part you had some idea when things may start to get a bit hot.  Certain levels were obviously not for exploration and once I clocked on to that, I stopped trying and just.. ran!

I also love the Uncharted games, but this does feel a bit different to me.  I suppose I felt more like the adventurer, where with Uncharted, it's more like you are watching the story unfold.

Now to finish Rise of, before Shadow comes out!

I'm currently a few hours into Rise as well after picking it up in the sale. It's ok so far. I'm enjoying the exploration aspects and the level design is satisfying. The storyline is pretty pants, though - far too po-faced and entirely humourless. All the characters are entirely two dimensional so far, and Lara never seems to shut up. Uncharted does a much better job of making you believe you're playing an interactive adventure movie.

It's been mentioned before, but the ludonarrative dissonance, or whatever wanky phrase you want to use, is really quite pronounced as well. I must have murdered fifty nameless soldiers by now, some of whom I've burnt alive, others I've brained with my climbing axe, yet none of this seems to have any impact on Lara's physiological well-being whatsoever. The game seems to linger on Lara's deaths in quite a tasteless way as well. One death in particular, towards the start, when I fell down a hole and the camera zoomed in on the light dying in Lara's eyes as she was impaled through the side of the face with a sharpened stick, was really quite horrible and made me physically recoil. I'm not sure why, as I've recently been playing Doom, where you spend a large amount of time ripping demons in half with your bare hands, literally, but for some reason the violence in this game seems almost voyeuristic at times, as if it's relishing in making you watch a young woman die. Maybe I'm just sexist.

Additionally, I think it's quite telling that the optional tombs are the best parts of the game so far, just like they were in the original reboot. I could gladly do without all the combat and pseudo-RPG elements for more actual Tomb Raiding and puzzles. Unlike @sprite, I'd like the game to be focused more on surviving in the wilderness then battling your way through it.

But still, it's quite easy to lose yourself in and isn't especially challenging, so it's a good game to settle down to at the end of long day.

Also, what's with all these Siberian "villagers" sounding exactly the same as everyone else? They're supposed to be these indigenous people living in one of the remotest regions on Earth, yet they all have American accents, speak English perfectly and look entirely European. The big baddie, too, despite being called "Konstantin" as supposedly coming from an eastern European country, sounds American. They could at least give them stupid Russian accents, like in the Bond films, or better yet have them speak in Russian with subtitles, seeing as Lara spends time in the game translating the language anyway.

Trying to get this completed before my Game Pass expires on the 22nd. Very much enjoying it, though experiencing a bit of “open world” fatigue having just rinsed God of War and given up on Mad Max after 10 hours (it just went nowhere, really slowly). 

15 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Just

Reveal hidden contents

fought off Trinity’s army and the helicopters, got the grappling hook and am back in the village

How much longer would you say I had left to go?

Two more areas if it's the area I'm thinking.

Still yet to 100% this it's absolutely giant. Currently going through the DLC which is vast. They certainly crammed a lot in. 

I'm struggling a bit to muster the enthusiasm to keep plodding on with this. There's no challenge and too much collectathon guff: relics, satchels, maps, coins, documents, murals, posters, supply caches, bullseyes, monoliths, mushrooms, gemstones, blah blah blah. Last night I spent 15 minutes looking for chickens to throw in a pen before I realised what I was doing.

You don't actually "explore", in any meaningful sense of the term, to find all this stuff; you just follow the markers, or ignore everything else and hone in on anything that glows yellow. I'm scared I'm going to break my R3 stick from having to press it in all the time to activate survival instinct mode. I tried playing for a bit with the glowiness off in the menus, but doing so then makes it too difficult to see anything as one box which is apparently openable looks exactly the same as those which aren't. When you do actually get to a bit where it's necessary to engage your brain, albeit ever so slightly, like in the challenge tombs (which are an "optional" part of the game by the way - raiding tombs is the optional part of Tomb Raider), after spending more than 30 seconds figuring out what to do, Lara bloody tells you what to do anyway! I had this last night, couldn't believe it - just arrived in a promising little puzzle room involving levers and pulleys and thought to myself, "Ok, this looks a bit more promising", then spent a few brief moments poking about, only for Lara to open her big gob and shout out, "I MUST HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO TIE A ROPE TO THAT LEVER. MAYBE I CAN USE MY ROPE ARROWS." Thanks a fucking lot, Lara. So, immediately, any sense of enigma or figuring things out for myself was shattered and I begrudgingly completed the puzzle, collected my experience points, or whatever other forgettable reward I received, and left.

And Lara herself is just irritating in general. She breathes too loudly and never shuts up and doesn't stop fiddling with her hair. And she pronounces "lever" like "leather", despite apparently being from an English aristocratic family.

Anyway. I've got up to the Geothermal Valley area. Am I near the end?