IGNORED

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

21 minutes ago, _Pow_ said:

I'd play a version of pretty much all games with no story / collectibles but I've never played titanfall. Is the platforming better than Mirror's Edge?

it's a little mirrors edge in motion, a little crysis2/3 in weighty heft.

(all three published by EA coincidentally)

On 02/01/2017 at 23:03, Captain LeChuck said:

Her eyes are completely different again:

Those are Camilla Luddington's eyes. Lara's face in this is kinda halfway between her face in the Definitive Reboot, and Camilla's. 

As for the game itself. I'm still really enjoying it. There seems to be fewer encounters with enemies, and more exploring, which I'm enjoying. And graphically it is very impressive. The story is, well, I think I can see where it's going, one thing I've seen coming a mile off, but I'm hoping it's not what I think.

what are you talking about? She hasn't changed at all:

Spoiler

Rise-Tomb-Raider-PS4-Shot-01.jpg

Rise is much better in terms of the optional tombs, I really enjoyed those. I enjoyed it overall more than the first actually. The story/writing wasn't the best in either really. I still think they're way behind Naughty Dog in that respect.

13 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

The first game was so much better, in pretty much every way other than the first having too many firefights - but the firefights in that game I found more fun. Or at least I remember them being more fun, it's been a while. For me, the controls felt "off". I know they patched out the input lag on PS4, but I still felt there was some, especially when the shielded Trinity guys were attacking you, and you had to dodge to trigger a counter. Knowing when to press circle was a complete guessing game for me there. Aiming felt off too. The combat just wasn't as satisfying as the first game's.

Yup I enjoyed the first game much more too. This was definitely not as good as the first reboot title, and properly lazy writing.

Oh look it's an army of undead soldiers protecting something, where I have I seen that before?

I played a bit of UC4 to try out my pro last night. I havent replayed it at all for some time, and certainly not since I completed Rise a few weeks back, and It really hits home just how much better UC4 is, in pretty much every regard.

Except firing arrows. Rise is much better at that.

Wow, some of the sidequests are really good. The Vale thing was pretty amazing and would be easy to skip if you just hammered the story. Combat is getting better too, although I'd love the AI to be as good as in Uncharted. At least I've got lots of toys to play with now.

This really is a very good game as long as you try to take toilet breaks during the cutscenes. It triggers Bethesda-like OCD collecting though.

10 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Completely stuck in this and think it's a bug. I'm at a ladder in the basement of Croft Manor and whatever I do Lara won't climb up it, so I can't progress.

Anyone else had this?

Not on Xbox One when I played it.

Re-started the section and it's fine now. I usually hate audio-file collecting but I'm really enjoying pottering around the mansion on my little quest.

Loving the main game too. Although I'd prefer it if they ditched the 90's Nuts magazine Sloane Ranger glamour model look. It doesn't really suit the classyness, and violence, of the rest of the game.

On 06/01/2017 at 17:02, noob said:

finished it last night. was enjoyable although i did find lara going from the introvert at the campsites to a killing machine a tad odd... 

now to do croft manor in VR... :D 

Can you only do that after finishing the game or am I missing something here ?

19 hours ago, _Pow_ said:

I played a wee bit of that mode, it's garbage. Merceneries suplex's it onto it's stupid head.

Lara's Nightmare, you mean? It has some longevity from the random placement (and the cards, of course) but yeah, it's pretty limited and shallow. The expedition level challenges are very good, though, I'd say they've put a lot of thought into them. I've not tried all the levels, but so far I've been impressed with how they transform from free-roaming sandboxes to tight, combo-stringing time trials, with some challenging targets that still reward experimentation and lateral thinking. I've not tried the survival mode yet either - it's a very generous package, especially considering that the main game is great as-is.

• 3 weeks later...

Just completed the story. I loved the stretch towards the end with some great setpieces and good combat bits. All in all I really enjoyed this game, there was so much to do, exploring really paid off, some excellent challenge tombs (I still have to complete 2 which I will do tonight). Good controls, good level design and the pacing was spot on.

Coming from Uncharted 4, the writing obviously was subpar (cringeworthy right up to the end) and the combat took some time to get going and never got really challenging. Basically they just throw more enemies who are tougher to put down at you, but in terms of AI it's pretty average.

Even though I've now completed the game, there are still a billion icons on my map, but I don't really feel like chasing all the extraneous stuff as I've pretty much seen what this game has to offer. I'll check if there are any sidequests worth doing though (I loved the 'witch' sidequest for example) and will complete the last two challenge tombs and that's pretty much it I think. I don't see myself going back even though I completed the original reboot 3 times.

Hopefully there'll be a new episode soon!

8/10

I finished this back on X1 when it originally came out and thought it was good though not as good as the game that came before it. Just the main story though as it was a lend from my bro.

I feel it suffers a little bit too much from "collectible-itis" with the various different things to pick up and find: coins, documents, trinkets, survival caches, crypts etc. Certainly more than the first game. 

I 100% the 2013 game on PS4, Xbox 360 and PS4 but I don't feel the same pull to do it with this one.

It's good but not great.

Yeah, I wasn't too keen on all the collecting for the sake of it. With a decent crafting system in place, collecting resources would probably be enough even without all the scrolls and murals and obelisks and relics and trinkets. The audiologs at least added some background but even those appeared too often. Still, it at least motivates to visit every corner of the world rather than barrel through it at breakneck pace.

On 08/01/2017 at 20:09, Yoshimax said:

Interestingly here's the "input lag" stats per platform per version

IMG_5868.JPG

Apparently the game actually had the better lag on 360 than Xbox One on release!

Not sure if that's been fixed with patches or not. I played it on Xbox One release and apart from the framerate going mental in one or two of the busier hub areas (mainly the waterfalls) I didn't notice much.