IGNORED

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

Funny we agree about the illuminati but disagree about civil war as I found the premise contrived and weird. Took me out of the movie. Why would he not just post some tapes to tony and go 'this dude killed your parents' also what the fuck was a camera doing there. War world II cctv? I preferred the Martha story in superman v batman. But back on topic... what do you think of Lara's voice acting? 

2 hours ago, Oz said:

Funny we agree about the illuminati but disagree about civil war as I found the premise contrived and weird. Took me out of the movie. Why would he not just post some tapes to tony and go 'this dude killed your parents' also what the fuck was a camera doing there. War world II cctv? I preferred the Martha story in superman v batman. But back on topic... what do you think of Lara's voice acting? 

It was 1991 not WW2 when that was captured on CCTV.

2 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Her voice acting is fine, I'm less impressed with the devs modelling Lara's face more closely to the actress. Lara looks different to the first game, and I'm not overly keen.

I thought the accent was laid on rather thickly, more so than the first game. Her face has  indeed changed, wider, like she's on steroid-based medication or something. But she's older here so maybe that explains it?

I do like it's a real gamers game with loads of stuff to collect that's actually useful even though not always particularly realistic. Controls and level design are excellent so far and combat is fun.

I really liked the face and voice. But I wondered if the accent sounded fake to native speakers. I understand the actress is actually american. Does it sound weird to you guys? Especially love her 'bastard!'.

2 hours ago, gooner4life said:

It was 1991 not WW2 when that was captured on CCTV.

Right. In the woods? 

Just now, Oz said:

I really liked the face and voice. But I wondered if the accent sounded fake to native speakers. I understand the actress is actually american. Does it sound weird to you guys?

Right. In the woods? 

It wasn't in the woods, it was on a main road, you're picking holes for the sake of picking holes, at some point when you're watching a film about a 100 year old man who doesn't age and has superhuman abilities fighting his billionaire friend who has a flying metal suit you have to suspend disbelief and just enjoy it my man.

I think the modelling the face on the actor is a bit of nessesity these days as I understand it for using the latest facial mapping and animation tal techniques. I understood from reading it somewhere that's this is why Nathan drake looks a bit different in uncharted 4. But maybe I am wrong.

2 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

It wasn't in the woods, it was on a main road, you're picking holes for the sake of picking holes, at some point when you're watching a film about a 100 year old man who doesn't age and has superhuman abilities fighting his billionaire friend who has a flying metal suit you have to suspend disbelief and just enjoy it my man.

Nah it was seriously just this film. It was stupid even which side everyone chooses appeared super random forced and out of character for some of them. I had no problem with winter soldier which I thought was a master piece and great high concept commentary on modern day America. Civil War is overrated in my opinion. But I will take my contrarian opinions on that somewhere else. I am glad you liked it. I really liked that comic.

1 hour ago, Oz said:

I really liked the face and voice. But I wondered if the accent sounded fake to native speakers.

Completely. I thought the actor's VA was cringeworthy. It might seem a trivial issue, but for that reason, allied to the poor and overblown writing, the game grated on me after a while. It felt like a poor try-hard copy of something rather than the thing itself. Between that and its excessive ubisoftness - the collectibles / materials / upgrades just came far too thick and fast - I'm afraid I tired of the game rapidly and put it aside quite early on despite finishing the first. It was a fair bit ago though (I played on Xbox), so maybe I should fire it up again now I haven't been Ubi'd for a while and give it another go. 

1 hour ago, Oz said:

I really liked the face and voice. But I wondered if the accent sounded fake to native speakers. I understand the actress is actually american. Does it sound weird to you guys? Especially love her 'bastard!'.

Camilla Luddington is English, but lives in LA.

I don't mind the voice actress but she was never going to be as good as Keeley Hawes in the original reboot who had a better character because she was a rich girl doing it for fun instead of an anguished child looking to restore her fathers reputation. 

I find it odd the story/writing is so sub-par in an otherwise very well crafted game. We have a character with a perfectly fleshed out and serviceable backstory that's been around for two decades, a well defined genre that's been thoroughly explored in movies, pulp literature and games with massive amounts of stuff to rip off (in the early sections there were already two scenes eerily reminiscent of Temple of Doom) and then this junior writing exercise is the best they can do?

It doesn't hold me back from enjoying this game, but I have the feeling it could have been so much better if the same kind of effort had gone in the storyline and dialogue that obviously went into the environments and level design.

The storytelling in this is woeful. Nathan Drake is a bit of a nutter in the way that he flicks between being a loveable rogue and gunning people down by the thousand, but Lara Croft in this is a full-on sociopath – in the cutscenes, she’s a studious, earnest archaeologist looking to honour her father’s memory, and in the game she’s stabbing people in the eye and setting them on fire. The overall tone of the game jars massively with the mind-bendingly gruesome violence.

It’s a shame because the climbing and traversal in this is great, and much more interesting than it was in Uncharted 4 (although the combat is much worse). If you combined the two you’d have pretty much the ideal version of this type of game, but for such a story-focused game to have such a weird, jarring tone and such a dull story is a pretty big flaw.

2 hours ago, K said:

The storytelling in this is woeful.

I only started it yesterday, but I've already digested more risible dialogue than anyone should be expected to stomach. I've enjoyed what I've played, though, and I'm looking forward to all the various extra modes, which look right up my Mercenaries-loving street.

When I started the game I had the inevitable comparison to the original TR and how grotesque all that seems today, but the veneer of sophistication is wafer-thin. It's not Loaded sidebar fodder, which is progress, but in narrative terms it's just dire. Which isn't necessarily a problem, except the game clearly has pretensions to not being dire.

Early days, but I don't expect it to improve. I do expect to enjoy playing it, though, so that's a pretty big something.

8 minutes ago, _Pow_ said:

how come (ending spoilers) 

Hide contents

Jonah is still alive at the end, surely his magic healing (which was hilarious) should have turned off when Lara smashed the big mcguffin like it did for Jacob (I totally called him being an immortal cos of his cool jacket) and the soldier guys.

I suppose the distinction is that...

Spoiler

...Jacob and the ancient army's immortality was continually sustained by the source, whilst Jonah was just a one-off tune up.

I think the story of Rise is fine as a pulpy adventure framework, but the cast of characters — who should be the main draw — have all the charisma of an empty packet of Twiglets.

maybe they think people will think it's been written by either pop sensation Rihanna or dead sensation Terry Pratchett. Anything to shift a few extra copies..

In other news I hated the fact that I had like 20 outfits and some weapons already unlocked for buying the special edition or whatever. I don't want to be thinking about pish like that at the start of the game. Also it ruins whatever vision the designer's had for Lara's progression through the game if I put her in a chickensuit or cheerleader outfit from the very start.

I also just noted that the combat so far is insultingly easy and the AI is thick as shit. Per usual I picked the normal setting ('Tomb Raider'), but it feels like I went for easy mode. I remember the first game being more challenging in this regard or maybe it's just because I very recently played and completed Uncharted 4 that it's so obviously inferior. While I'm not playing this for the shooty bits, I would have liked a bit more resistance. On the other hand I'm glad the puzzles have been ramped up and exploring is really encouraged this time round.

I played on the level above that which felt about right (until a stupid section near the end where I turned it down again)

does anything change if you complete the 

Spoiler

light all the signal fires to get the Deathless to fight the Christianz

challenge?

I'd happily play a version of this which was 100% challenge tombs. No story, no combat, no collectibles, just rope-arrow puzzles :wub:

1 minute ago, _Pow_ said:

I played on the level above that which felt about right (until a stupid section near the end where I turned it down again)

does anything change if you complete the 

Reveal hidden contents

light all the signal fires to get the Deathless to fight the Christianz

challenge?

I'd happily play a version of this which was 100% challenge tombs. No story, no combat, no collectibles, just rope-arrow puzzles :wub:

would you play a version of Titanfall 2 that was just wall-running platforming, no story, no combat, no collectibles?