IGNORED

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

10 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Yes. But not as many , I've come across maybe three.

Hopefully I won't die as much, the scripted sequences especially the water sections in the first game where you had to dodge the rocks/spikes took me a few attempts.

Finally finished this last night...

Spoiler

Why do all these kind of games have a similar final boss? It's like a carnival mini game to expose the boss and then you just shoot them (or worse press buttons QT like), you know? Like, throw a hoop on the stick to dismantle the boss. Every single time. A final boss fight should involve you using the majority of your collected skills/acquired tools, not throwing a hoop on a sodding stick.

• 3 weeks later...

Just started playing this as I got it cheap with some other bits I was buying. Just have one question, my daughter really enjoyed playing Uncharted 4 and I was thinking this could make a good replacement for us to play over Christmas. She wants to play it but I didn't realise it was an 18, is there a particular reason for it being higher rated than UC4? Strikes me as a similar game, is there anything in particular that would trouble you about letting a 14 year old play it? She's not particularly squeemish and I've played Rush of Blood with her on VR, but I still won't let her play GTA5 (much to her chagrin) mainly because of the Trevor missions...

23 minutes ago, Danster said:

Just started playing this as I got it cheap with some other bits I was buying. Just have one question, my daughter really enjoyed playing Uncharted 4 and I was thinking this could make a good replacement for us to play over Christmas. She wants to play it but I didn't realise it was an 18, is there a particular reason for it being higher rated than UC4? Strikes me as a similar game, is there anything in particular that would trouble you about letting a 14 year old play it? She's not particularly squeemish and I've played Rush of Blood with her on VR, but I still won't let her play GTA5 (much to her chagrin) mainly because of the Trevor missions...

Not really, you kill lots of enemies and animals like bears, rabbits, deer for survival.

Getting a new PC today and can't wait to see what this looks like on max settings on PC later. My 970 and ivy lake cpu struggled a lot. More so than any other recent triple a game. Even Skyrim with 250 mods ran better. Hopefully a few patched and better optimised now too?

14 hours ago, Lothar Hex said:

Is the DLC any good? Season pass is £8 in the Xbox sale and wondering if it's worth it.

i did baba yaga yesterday and it was alright, apparently the other dlc is better. good set piece mind, and some good puzzles too :) 

season pass at £8 seems rather good to me.

11 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Been wondering whether to get this during the steam sale.  Is the £8 extra worth it for the newer version with the dlc, or stick to the normal version at £12.99?

the dlc adds the baba yaga mission and croft manor mission and the 2 player survival mode iirc, and both missions would be about an hour long each, maybe a bit more, not sure about the survival mode as not played it yet. 

4 hours ago, noob said:

i did baba yaga yesterday and it was alright, apparently the other dlc is better. good set piece mind, and some good puzzles too :) 

season pass at £8 seems rather good to me.

Cheers got it and found I had £1.50 in live credit so only cost me £6.50.

8 hours ago, Mentazm said:

Getting a new PC today and can't wait to see what this looks like on max settings on PC later. My 970 and ivy lake cpu struggled a lot. More so than any other recent triple a game. Even Skyrim with 250 mods ran better. Hopefully a few patched and better optimised now too?

It drops frames on a few larger areas if you use the max texture setting even though I have VRAM to spare but other than that it runs solid at 1440p for me.

i just use "high" textures and max LOD. 

28 minutes ago, Lothar Hex said:

Cheers got it and found I had £1.50 in live credit so only cost me £6.50.

excellent! i did that with the batman season pass and it cost me £5 in the end. 

i have had two bits in this where it just went, well...wrong... 

first time i was fighting two guys then suddenly get barged into some scenery behind a wall, then the next one was way later on when i was running for cover in a gunfight and suddenly lara decided to literally ice skate for want of a better phrase through the scene. all on PS4. odd... 

otherwise, i am really enjoying it :wub: 

I've just started this, I bought it in the PSN sale last week. After The Last Guardian it's lovely to come to a game where the camera and controls actually work and even a decent framerate so far. It has a good flow to it and the environments are stunning. It's very, very pretty and very, very slick but by Jesus the story and voice acting so far is atrocious. Especially as it seems very cutscene heavy I feel they could have done a lot better. Shouldn't be too hard to get right, should it?

6 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

He game just told me I'm at the point of no return. I'm guessing after I complete the game I can keep playing my urgent save to do the tombs I've missed?

Yeah, you can go back. Fast travel around doing stuff etc..

Trinity and their needless link to the Crofts are the main reasons I preferred the plot to the first game, the tedious trend of protagonists uncovering conspiracies involving their dead parents just never seems to end, in both cinema and games.

Rise is still great though. 

29 minutes ago, clumpyjamie said:

I think I'm near the end now but I still don't understand what the cards that I keep unlocking are for. Are they for multiplayer stuff?

They're for that score attack mode, I can't remember what it's called. Replay the levels, but you can select a load of cards that make the level harder/easier etc.. 

31 minutes ago, clumpyjamie said:

I think I'm near the end now but I still don't understand what the cards that I keep unlocking are for. Are they for multiplayer stuff?

they must be single player as well, otherwise who's worrying about crafting bonuses in mp?