IGNORED

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

Gaah! I spent hours last night against an assault of helmeted guys struggling with the controls. I finally did it then went back to the campfire. I exited the game assuming it had saved (isn't it supposed to save when you rest?). But, no - now it's put me back on the same bit I was stuck on and I can't do it again.

Depends. Sometimes at a campsite it says that fast travel is unavailable as you're still in an action set piece of some sort (probably one more bad guy hiding behind a box or up a ladder somewhere nearby), so maybe the game doesn't save as it normally would. Just guessing though.

I haven't played this for a few days now. I've found some of the tombs to be a bit disappointing. You literally just fire a couple of rope arrows and you've solved it. And I find it funny how tombs are "optional" in a game with Tomb Raider in it's title. Whilst I like the big areas that you can explore, I'm still missing that sense of isolation from the early Tomb Raider games.

If you're playing this on PS4 you might want to do so offline for now they just released the patch to add PS4Pro support and multiple users are reporting the game now constantly crashes.

Can't believe this is happening. Thanks Nixxes!!!!!

446 mb

- Adds 4K support for PS4 Pro
- Less latency for the controls (was super happy about this but I can't test)
- adds high frame rate for PS4 Pro
- Bug fixes

For what it's worth I sidestepped the connectivity issues using Google's public DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Glad to hear they've tightened up the input lag; I knew waiting would pay off.

Edited by Aimless
Fixed secondary DNS address

Yeah, it's fucked. Keeps crashing on the main menu. How do I play offline? Log out of Playstation Network?

Edit: found it out. Just unticked "connect to the internet" in settings on the PS4 dash, and Tomb Raider works again. But how on earth will I survive this single player game without those network features?? :rolleyes:

Finished this on PS4 tonight. Really enjoyed it. It felt like a step up from the last game with some welcome tweaks to the combat, pacing and environmental design. Still felt like the story was a bit silly and the voice acting unconvincing at times but it was a lot of fun to play.

Felt like just the right length too. Not sure what my playtime was but I finished the game with 65% completion. Might go back and try and mop up the remaining tombs and the dlc missions.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm pretty far along with this but I'm really struggling to maintain any interest in it. It's all so boring, repetitive and brown. I don't really understand what's going on with all these people at war around me and I don't care either. I'm here to explore new environments and occasionally raid actual tombs, not run around picking up all kinds of crap that doesn't seem to have any use. As the game progresses it seems to get worse and worse.

I've loved all of the Tomb Raider / Lara Croft games, ignoring the ones between III and Legend, but there are too many other games I want to play to be wasting my time not enjoying this one.

• 2 weeks later...

And finished (81% - don't think I'll go back).

Really enjoyed that - not sure if I enjoyed it more or less than the original, but certainly close.

Combat, controls etc all refined. Characters (other than Lara) still pretty nonsense - but I thought the villains were better.

While I appreciate the open world stuff - moving onto a second map just irked (particularly as it was a rather dull greeny/browny/grey). I think the last area was poor as well - I get what they were trying to do but too bluey/grey/similar to explore.

Still never used any weapon but the bow :). Crafting taking lots of different resources also felt a little more cumbersome than before (something I think they know given how the later enemies drop all sorts of materials to help you gear up)

Still a good action romp with some puzzles (the Tombs were much better this time!)

I'm struggling to get into this; it feels way too similar to the last game in the series. The start of the game in particular, where you're hunting wild animals in a clearing filled with rope slides and tree houses, feels exactly like the start of the reboot. It feels exactly as dour and bleak as the island in TR 2013, except with snow rather than rain and desolate Russian bunkers and mines rather than desolate Japanese bunkers and mines. It's a pretty cool aesthetic, but I thought they could have mixed things up a bit for the sequel.

It doesn't help that it came out the same year as Uncharted 4, which I thought had its problems but was basically this game except much better; the story in this admittedly gets moving a lot more quickly than Uncharted 4's but the acting and dialogue are not really in the same league. Camilla Luddington is still pretty wooden as Lara, which is odd - and ironic - because her in-game face is nearly photorealistic and very expressive. Not many people get out-acted by their own CGI doppelganger.

Is there any given reason why the natives in Siberia speak perfect English with American accents?

Um....you read their books etc and level up your translation - so presumably they talk the same as they write? No explanation given that I recall.

I didn't mind Lara's VA tbh, she's a little overly earnest at some points but that's it.

9 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Um....you read their books etc and level up your translation - so presumably they talk the same as they write? No explanation given that I recall.

That seems a bit lazy. You can get away with that sort of thing in Star Trek, but in something that styles itself with a kind of grimdark realism, it seems a bit weird to not even acknowledge that there is a language barrier, given that the developers were hammering home how isolated and remote the location is. It's like Liam Neeson arriving in Paris to rescue his daughter to find everyone in Paris is American. 

I can just about buy Lara magically getting better at reading Greek by reading random Greek texts as a game mechanic, but from a story perspective it's really jarring. I don't want to bang on about Uncharted, but Uncharted 2 made Nate's inability to understand Tibetan the focus of that section, and it made for a really memorable relationship between him and his Tibetan pal. Plus, it emphasised how vulnerable and alone he was.

This has improved a lot as I've progressed; the traversal gets a lot more interesting once you unlock things like the rappelling winch thing and the climbing arrows, and the later areas of the game look lovely (i.e. the Geothermal Valley). The bow is colossally overpowered though - even in the first game it was more powerful than the rifle, but in this it's ridiculous. Once you've upgraded it a bit, it's not far off the smart pistol from Titanfall in the way that it automatically locks onto people's heads and can fire three head-seeking arrows at once. Very satisfying, so it's actually pretty fun to use, but it makes the combat a bit easy, even on the harder difficulty.

I just got my 100% on the PC version. I really like Rise (way, way more than Uncharted 4) though I'm still unsure why the stuff in the shop is largely impossible to buy before the game's over without massive, unrealistic amounts of putting a hard stop on story progression to focus on exploring - you might get a rope slide and a silencer and that's about it.

Still need to hit the Baba Yaga stuff, so I'll be doing that tonight.

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

Actually I thought the basic arrows had been depowered a bit.

The Gas/Explosive/Clusterbomb arrows though are ridiculous....

I don't think I've used the explosive / gas arrows in combat more than a couple of times, the basic lock-on arrow is more than enough.

6 hours ago, K said:

I don't think I've used the explosive / gas arrows in combat more than a couple of times, the basic lock-on arrow is more than enough.

What difficulty are you on? If you're playing it on special difficulty, there's your answer.

So I'm nearing the end of this. And whilst its been enjoyable, I don't think its as good as the first one and certainly not  better than UC4. There's lots of little details where you can see where they were pushed for time and had to rush (water with algae etc on top and for example is literally ps2 territory, and the water draining from the tomb with the sluice gates is ridiculous). There a few things that really rankle. The fact you cannot hip shoot is fucking shit, especially when surrounded by a pack of wolves.

Of course when it works, its great. Stealthy kills with the bow never get old and some of the exploration is very very good and its good to see more tombs (although they seem to be somewhat simplified compared to the first game)

Overall though, I dunno, this one just hasn't grabbed me like the first one did.