IGNORED

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

• 5 weeks later...

just started this back from the start (had fallen off it 4 hours in). I am now back to where I had left off. running it now at 1440p man this game does scale beautifully. is she based on a real actress? she does the greatest British accent 'bastard' I have heard in a long time. and I hear this quite often. they have also done something about Dx12 as it is running at least 10 frames per second better than it was when I first played it a launch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2016 at 11:10, Captain LeChuck said:

Hmm, quite looking forward to this on PS4. The only thing giving me pause is that I've read some comments that the combat isn't as good. I loved the combat in the reboot (better than Uncharted's combat), have they fucked it up? :(

Mechanically it's pretty much the same, but generally they've moved away from the RE4 style 'arenas' against waves of enemies and towards tighter skirmishes against a set number of bad guys.  There's still a few huge set-pieces in there but I'm going to assume it was in response to the comments about how outrageously murderous Lara was in the last one. The combat's still really good and dynamic, but there's definitely less emphasis on those relentless sieges (which I did enjoy), and more on mixing up stealth and combat on the fly.

'Tighter', is how I'd describe it. Feels like it's taken a few cues from The Last of Us.

On 22/09/2016 at 14:21, Oz said:

just started this back from the start (had fallen off it 4 hours in). I am now back to where I had left off. running it now at 1440p man this game does scale beautifully. is she based on a real actress? she does the greatest British accent 'bastard' I have heard in a long time. and I hear this quite often. they have also done something about Dx12 as it is running at least 10 frames per second better than it was when I first played it a launch.

The voice, and to a degree the character model are Camilla Luddington, who is half British.  She's most famous elsewhere for Grey's Anatomy.

Image%202016-10-07%20at%209.27.24%20AM.p

19 hours ago, Varsity said:

It was a great game and as a season pass owner, can't wait to dive into for a second run, plenty of games where I don't bother with that. Intrigued by this new extreme survivor difficulty ^^ 

I'm definitely up for that, I think the lack of challenge is what put me off initially. 

This is one of just a few games I've ever double dipped. Played it on the Xbone originally and was blown away by how fantastic every aspect was. For me it's far superior than Uncharted and I can't wait to play the dlc. They seem to have done a cracking job with the PS4 Pro version too that I'd love to see becoming the norm, 3 options you can pick from on the fly: 4K resolution, 1080p at locked 60 fps with some enhanced graphics or 1080p locked at 30fps with "ultra graphics"

I'd definitely have picked that up over another boring SteelBook. Although I doubt it would have made it through the letterbox without cracking.

As is I've yet to buy the game. I'm intending to get a Pro so it makes sense to wait — what's another month at this point — and I expect the game to drop in price pretty sharpish.

So gave this a bash over the weekend - the intro isn't as effective as TR, but the game is visually stunning in places.

The mix of spectacle, story, "on rails" exploration, puzzles and combat is as strong as ever.

Not sure I'm liking all the different crafting materials - previously "salvage" was a nice catch all.

I was a bit worried after 30min when Lara hadn't killed anyone, but she's back to murdering everything she sees now

Including some poor defenseless blind guy!

It's a good game but the aiming (on PS4) is horrible. It's really laggy with a massive deadzone- making it impossible for me to aim without strafing- usually out of cover and getting me killed. I hope they patch it.

edit: At this point I'm struggling to shoot guys right in front of me when using an assault rifle. They're running around flanking me while it takes me ages to line up any shots.

Really wanted this at launch but only had a PS4, finally got around to playing it after a year. Only played about a hour and was tired of it :huh: I think part of that is Uncharted4, in terms of graphics and animation TR feels like an old game. Will keep at it, I'm suspecting that as the action picks up it will at least be a better game in terms of action.