IGNORED

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

I'll definitely be buying it again on PS4 with all those extras. After finishing it on the One I've been playing the 360 version and it has to be one of the most technically impressive games on the system and doesn't look like a massive step down from the Xbox One version.

8 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I'll definitely be buying it again on PS4 with all those extras. After finishing it on the One I've been playing the 360 version and it has to be one of the most technically impressive games on the system and doesn't look like a massive step down from the Xbox One version.

I played a couple of hours of the 360 version late last year and it's an incredible achievement. Hard to believe it's running on 10 year old hardware, especially when you compare it to Tomb Raider Legend, which couldn't even hold a decent framerate at 720p :lol:

All of the pre-remake games run terribly on the 360. I'm not sure how they managed to make them so bad.

Not the most imaginative cover even if the changed the Uncharted cover after the first print run.

On the one hand it seems like a decent package of content, but on the other... co-op survival? Zombies? I guess that squashes any false hope I had for the series' trajectory. Not to say they'll be bad games on their own terms, but I guess I've got to wait for another studio to recapture the appeal of the classic TR games under a different banner.

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

TR DE has been given away on games with gold AND PSplus on previous and current gen.

Still... next-gen mansion :D

It hasn't been given away on PS+ for the current gen. The original (obviously not the remaster) was free on PS+ for PS3 only in March 2014.

20 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

It hasn't been given away on PS+ for the current gen. The original (obviously not the remaster) was free on PS+ for PS3 only in March 2014.

You're right. I own it 4 times over, but the PS4 disc version is the only one I play now, for that very reason. (originally completed on 360)

So (as I want to avoid spoilers so don't really want to Google) Rise was good then?

We obviously don't know the port quality, but worth a buy? Loved the last one (and would enjoy a replay for now as a freebie, but wouldn't buy it)

6 minutes ago, Hexx said:

So (as I want to avoid spoilers so don't really want to Google) Rise was good then?

We obviously don't know the port quality, but worth a buy? Loved the last one (and would enjoy a replay for now as a freebie, but wouldn't buy it)

It's great.

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

I didn't think it was as good as the reboot overall, open world bits are padding, the combat is slightly weaker and it lacks some of the pace. The story and script are also as poor as the previous game.

It was still very good though and you enjoy an Uncharted style adventure and/or liked the original pretty sure you'd enjoy it.

Rise of the Tomb Raider for Xbox One is currently £15 in my local Sainsburys. I really enjoyed the previous game, and am v tempted, but is there a game of the year edition coming shortly or anything that I should wait for? And is the DLC worth a look?

Apologies if this has been answered in previous pages.

10 minutes ago, Butters said:

Rise of the Tomb Raider for Xbox One is currently £15 in my local Sainsburys. I really enjoyed the previous game, and am v tempted, but is there a game of the year edition coming shortly or anything that I should wait for? And is the DLC worth a look?

Apologies if this has been answered in previous pages.

there might be a bone version of the 20th anniversary PS4 version which is detailed in this post

however, it might be cheaper to get £15 bone version and the season pass.

Tacking on shitty VR bits is going to become a staple on PS4 it seems. "Experiences". Not developed enough to annoy non-VR owners that they're missing out on it but probably not very worthwhile - the kind of thing you look at once and never again.

@Butters Id get the £15 version the DLC was all shit bar Baba Yaga which was extremely short. I doubt those additional pieces will be any different.

Thanks @Yoshimax. I've been burnt by DLC in the past, a lot of which has felt extremely tacked on. I suspect the DLC will be in the sale at some point, so could pick up any then if I want more.

I'm holding off on Arkham Knight on the One for the same reason. Not sure if the DLC is any good, but there's supposedly a Game of the Year edition coming for that. 

Yeah Rise is good.. very good but i prefer the original game. Also, the dlc really should have been in the main compaign. It really misses the spooky areas from the first game. However at least the dlc is very good too from what i hear.

My main issues are the weak story and the huge amounts of collectables which breaks the pace of the game at times.

I still think they are both better than the uncharted games though (well maybe uncharted 2 is on par but still... oh i haven't played uncharted 4 yet).

So yeah well worth playing especially with all the extra bits.

The tombs are brilliant. The Cistern is  like a mini Water Temple and made me think how amazing an HD Zelda could look. Also made me think how amazing a whole game like that would be. That said I'm enjoying the outdoor hub bits too, but I hope the next game moves even further towards going fully subterranean. The feeling of descending deep underground, and then getting back out again, is really well realised. Gave me that old school TR feeling, and reminded of a recurring dream I used to gave induced by playing TR.

Are there many optional tombs, or mandatory ones, and do they get bigger and more complex? 

There's quite a few tombs, IIRC. Simmering like 15 total. They're all quite good but they don't get that much more difficult.

I really liked the game but I would have liked even greater focus on the puzzles. A lot of them you can pretty much solve by accident. 

Yeah I've not found anything too taxing but they're still satisfying. I think being more environmentally based helps make it more immersive too compared with Uncharted which interrupts the core gameplay to present you with a locked in a room type puzzle. The exploring in this is much, much better than Uncharted 4. 

Playing TR:DE which I got with pre-order.

I completely forgot how ridiculous the move from "Oh god I think I killed a man" to "GET SOME! COME GET SOME! I'LL KILL YOU ALL *FIRES GRENADE LAUNCHER*" was :D

2 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Hmm, quite looking forward to this on PS4. The only thing giving me pause is that I've read some comments that the combat isn't as good. I loved the combat in the reboot (better than Uncharted's combat), have they fucked it up? :(

Not that I've noticed, it's spot on.

• 3 weeks later...