Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

Perhaps its only console exclusivity, you never know!

From the way SE are talking it's a proper exclusive for once, hence the "We still love PC and PS4 players! You're still getting Temple of Osiris!" talk. A couple of sites have suggested that the deal won't necessarily apply to future re-releases though, so a multiformat "Definitive Edition" isn't out of the question.

I'll probably have an Xbox One by the time this comes out anyway, so whatever, but these deals always annoy me. While SE are obviously getting a fair bit of cash for it (good for them!), it's basically preventing a whole bunch of people from playing the game. It doesn't benefit the players one little bit.

What?

I wouldn't have thought Tomb Raider would have needed MS's money to be made. It is a massive franchise that sells well and will therefore always have a sequel in the works. Stuff like Titanfall and Sunset Overdrive are obviously the opposite of this so are more likely to need the funding of a platform holder.

Actually love that this is a proper, honest-to-god exclusive.

Reading Console Wars at the mo. Reminded me of a time when each system had real points of difference in their catalogues and being a fan of one said something about you.

As opposed to fanboys nowadays bitching over things that don't matter, like pixel count, on machines with largely identical games libraries and just a handful of (largely very similar and somewhat interchangeable) first party exclusives.

In my day, the good old days, etc etc...

Actually love that this is a proper, honest-to-god exclusive.

Reading Console Wars at the mo. Reminded me of a time when each system had real points of difference in their catalogues and being a fan of one said something about you.

As opposed to fanboys nowadays bitching over things that don't matter, like like pixel count, on machines with largely identical games libraries and just a handful of (largely very similar and somewhat interchangeable) first party exclusives.

In my day, the good old days, etc etc...

Its a paid exclusive, nothing at all like MD / SNES differences in catalogue, or the saturns 2d excellence versus the ps1. Its purely a contrived money hat which is why people have a bad taste in their mouths.

Its a paid exclusive, nothing at all like MD / SNES differences in catalogue, or the saturns 2d excellence versus the ps1. Its purely a contrived money hat which is why people have a bad taste in their mouths.

I'm not so sure the feeling would be massively negative had Sony paid for this exclusive.

Weren't the MD / SNES exclusives paid ones too? I mean, Nintendo literally got companies to sign a contract that meant they could only develop for Nintendo. So Sega went about grabbing the ones that hadn't (or were brave enough to go against Nintendo) and tying them into an exclusive deal too.

The only difference is it was more prevalent than they are now. But hey, maybe if more deals like this happen, it could change again?

I'd love to see a situation where more devs get to double-down on one system and make something truly great rather than spreading themselves thin across multiple versions. And where the console makers have to pick and choose where they aggressively splash the cash on licensing in order to give their system more of an identity.

All of that said, take my words with a pinch of salt. I own a 'Bone, couldn't care less about Tomb Raider, and will undoubtedly buy a PS4 at some point anyway.

I'm not so sure the feeling would be massively negative had Sony paid for this exclusive.

I'd still not be happy, personally, as I want the fucking thing for PC.

Weren't the MD / SNES exclusives paid ones too? I mean, Nintendo literally got companies to sign a contract that meant they could only develop for Nintendo. So Sega went about grabbing the ones that hadn't (or were brave enough to go against Nintendo) and tying them into an exclusive deal too.

The only difference is it was more prevalent than they are now. But hey, maybe if more deals like this happen, it could change again?

I'd love to see a situation where more devs get to double-down on one system and make something truly great rather than spreading themselves thin across multiple versions. And where the console makers have to pick and choose where they aggressively splash the cash on licensing in order to give their system more of an identity.

All of that said, take my words with a pinch of salt. I own a 'Bone, couldn't care less about Tomb Raider, and will undoubtedly buy a PS4 at some point anyway.

Nintendo's contracts were hideous nightmare things that developers ran the fuck away from, once the Mega Drive gained popularity (as far as I'm aware).

Nintendo's contracts were hideous nightmare things that developers ran the fuck away from, once the Mega Drive gained popularity (as far as I'm aware).

The idea that the Mega Drive was popular someplace else in the world still makes me chuckle.

I'd still not be happy, personally, as I want the fucking thing for PC.

Think that was more the terms of how many games a dev could make and how much of a cut Nintendo would take from each copy sold.

From the customer point of view though you had two massively different companies and consoles with two wildly different games catalogues, and the competition between the two resulted in better and better games for an entire generation. Or maybe I've just got me rose-tinteds on. :P

Well, yes, and then they could just ignore those contracts when they coded games for the MD. Besides, Konami lol'ed at such things and made side-companies like Ultra Games and Palcom, and there's probably others that did, too.

I don't know if this was posted but here is an article from Eurogamer not long after E3.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-16-amazon-lists-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-for-ps3-xbox-360

Square Enix's Tomb Raider sequel has so far only been officially announced for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One

Also, they have repeatedly said that the game is "exclusive on Xbox for Holiday 2015". As a PS4 owner I did enjoy the first Tomb Raider reboot and would have loved to play this next game so maybe it's wishful thinking. To me, though, it doesn't make much sense since Square Enix was unhappy with Tomb Raider's sales. I would be more surprised if this game doesn't at least end up on PC.