IGNORED

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hexx

I got this for Christmas and having played through the opening sections (have just been returned to the initial location) my reaction is that this is proper next gen, no idea how well screenshots of the 360 version hold up but this is amazing looking. I'm pretty blown away, I'd already seen a couple of videos but have still been taken aback at how pretty it is. It's linear as hell but I've been able to sink into it and get properly adsorbed.

Very pleased!

Edit: for those that have played the game, what kind of difficulty should I be on? I've gone for the standard "heroic" (one notch below hardest) but am wondering if I should restart it and bump up the difficulty to Max.

i don't think you can claim something as proper next gen if it got a last gen release.

i don't think you can claim something as proper next gen if it got a last gen release.

It is very, very next gen. That a company not working in the field of next gen games made a version of it for older hardware does not affect the amount of next gen that ROTTR possesses on Xbox One. Xbox One ROTTR is way over 89% next gen, which is of course the threshold by which generation nextness is indisputably "proper."

Also I was wondering at what point do we stop to referring to the current crop of consoles as "next gen"? Surely that passes onto Xbox Two / PS5 (or whatever they are going to be called) now.

Forza Horizon 2 also got a release on the 360 but the two are very different in terms of graphic detail and effects. Its no bad thing that the older gen are still supported a bit. After all there are plenty still in the wild so a big market to sell too. Why you always see FIFA games or CoD games still getting versions.

Although I like having new hardware and tech toys to play with the games on the current gen systems aren't a huge leap over the old ones same game mechanics but everything slightly shinier. There are only a few examples where I have thought that something wasn't achievable on last gen hardware.

Also I was wondering at what point do we stop to referring to the current crop of consoles as "next gen"? Surely that passes onto Xbox Two / PS5 (or whatever they are going to be called) now.

Forza Horizon 2 also got a release on the 360 but the two are very different in terms of graphic detail and effects. Its no bad thing that the older gen are still supported a bit. After all there are plenty still in the wild so a big market to sell too. Why you always see FIFA games or CoD games still getting versions.

Although I like having new hardware and tech toys to play with the games on the current gen systems aren't a huge leap over the old ones same game mechanics but everything slightly shinier. There are only a few examples where I have thought that something wasn't achievable on last gen hardware.

In this particular game's case, calling it proper Next-Gen or current gen in reality would imply that it has gameplay or features not possible on last gen hardware. This game clearly doesn't fall into that category as every game feature was possible on the X360 version, it wasn't compromised massively to make it fit and only the graphics got downgraded, which makes the X1 version more like one of those PC ports you get late on in a console generation where devs start a practice run for the Next gen and start slavering on some fancy graphics you can't manage on an old box, but keeping the exact same gameplay.

Batman: Arkham Knight is a proper Next Gen title, not possible without massive compromises on old gen so they didn't even bother. Shadow of Mordor is basically gimped to fit on last gen consoles so would also qualify. Even CoD is basically a proper Current Gen game now, as they had to pare it back to work on last gen and didn't even attempt the co-op campaign as a result.

Decided to pick this up on the Xbox One today. Enjoyed the demo and got it for £28. I was waiting for the PC version but I expect it will be a similar price and I will be able to move the Xbox disk on when I'm done with the play through.

Looking forward to it enjoyed the reboot. Nice game to play through over the holidays..

I've restarted, upped the difficulty and played a bit further now and have tried to embrace stealth play but it seems like murder is unavoidable. It's also far too easy, even on the hardest difficulty setting, IMO.

Hopefully it'll ramp up a bit later on.

And Lara's hair still hangs down her back when she's upside down. :angry:

Finished this over the weekend. Enjoyed it but I think I prefer the first simply because of less of a focus on collectibles. Yeah it had them but you never really had to go after them and you came across plenty of scrap in the world to upgrade your weapons just doing the main missions. Here? To upgrade any weapon decently you have to collect a lot of things, animal skins, scrap, bandages etc. The Last of Us-esque crafting on the fly was fun, but rarely used. I liked doing the optional tombs but everything else felt slightly uncecessary. Still had fun, and will play through it again at some point.

Well about half way through this and enjoying it. The visuals and audio are fantastic. Gameplay is more of the same but as mentioned it feels like a bit of a collect-a-thon at times. Noticed that some of the tombs you cannot get access to until you have the correct equipment however you don't seem to get this equipment until later in the game so I'm guessing its normal to backtrack to the tombs you couldn't get access to later on? Or should I be doing more hunting around.

Finding the odd difficulty spike here and there some areas have at times a seemingly overwhelming number of enemies to tackle. Saying that in general I think they have toned down the amount of shooting though doesn't seem as much killing going on as I remember in the first reboot.

Story wise pretty much feels like Indiana Jones and the last crusade :) Also feels a little bit similar to Uncharted 2 without as much shooting.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeh, I really enjoyed it I have to say and looks incredible at times. Although there is something about the movement that gets me, just can't put my finger on it, like a tiny delay or something. God knows, it's weird. Anyway, I haven't even sold it on as hanging on for the sp DLC next week which i never normally do so it's doing something right. Tbh it's the only decent thing I've played on my xbone so far.

Yeh, I really enjoyed it I have to say and looks incredible at times. Although there is something about the movement that gets me, just can't put my finger on it, like a tiny delay or something. God knows, it's weird. Anyway, I haven't even sold it on as hanging on for the sp DLC next week which i never normally do so it's doing something right. Tbh it's the only decent thing I've played on my xbone so far.

It's been noted in here that the Xbox one has this weird delay in input for some reason. It doesn't effect the 360 version.

Odd one but it only bothered me for the first ten minutes or so.

I've noticed the laggy controls too. I've not got into much combat yet but I've got a feeling it's going to make it a chore, whereas it was the highlight of TR. Spent about eight arrows trying to shoot a bunny last night.

I've turned all the detective vision and waypoint and map markers off and put it on straight on the hardest setting, classic Pob style.

Maybe. But it was pretty cool getting into scrappy gun fight then trying to leg it and hide from the last survivor last night. It had a Last Of Us style brutality to it. Lara seems to be able to hold her breath for about five seconds, though. Not sure if that's affected by the difficulty, but it seems a bit silly considering all the other types of punishment she survives.

Mixed news about the PC port.

The good:

Of course, one of the most important improvements here isn't something you'll notice in screens or videos. We're talking about a reduction in input latency - an issue where the Xbox One version feels mildly unresponsive and more difficult to play. We were already surprised when the Nixxes-engineered Xbox 360 version offered faster input response but on the PC, where faster frame-rates rule the day, this is improved further. Rise of the Tomb Raider is very responsive on the PC and it has a transformative effect on the quality of the combat experience.

The not so good is that it is a lot more demanding than the 2013 Tomb Raider. I think 1080p/30 with a mix of medium/high is probably the best I can hope for on my 770.