Rise of the Tomb Raider

I don't understand how the profit on 63K sales can be more for Crystal Dynamics than if it was multi platform? I mean, I can get the fact that if they sold it to every Xbone owner at full price rather than waiting for Games on Gold Ps+ whatever but surely given the dearth of advertising from MS this never happened anyway?

Or is that precisely why we're lolling at polygon?

On the face of it, this seems like a really odd deal in hindsight and I can only assume musashi's conspiracy theories with Squeenix and MS are true because it seems like a huge shame.

What's all the ufc sponsorship complaining bollox? Mannn people will complain or find a reason to complain that bolsters their ideal about anything. Xbox have sponsored LOADS of their events for years and years, they have console exclusivity at fights, they sponsor fighters, as if they're going to miss the biggest ufc event ever when they already have a deal in place to promote anything new

I wonder if giving Naughty Dog the extra time to polish further, knowing that they had a busy period was part of the reason. One of those 'we'll never know' moments because there was those rumours earlier that ND weren't remotely close to finishing Uncharted 4 as it is.

Although any exclusivity deals aside, it was a stupid time for them to release anyway and at the time, I also doubt that Sony are that clever either, release dates for games never fail to confuse me, there can be donkeys with fuck all and then everything at once, for seemingly no good reason at all.

What's all the ufc sponsorship complaining bollox? Mannn people will complain or find a reason to complain that bolsters their ideal about anything. Xbox have sponsored LOADS of their events for years and years, they have console exclusivity at fights, they sponsor fighters, as if they're going to miss the biggest ufc event ever when they already have a deal in place to promote anything new

I assumed it's more that the spot where the advert ends up is rather silly, right at crotch height on the weigh-in.

I wonder if giving Naughty Dog the extra time to polish further, knowing that they had a busy period was part of the reason. One of those 'we'll never know' moments because there was those rumours earlier that ND weren't remotely close to finishing Uncharted 4 as it is.

Although any exclusivity deals aside, it was a stupid time for them to release anyway and at the time, I also doubt that Sony are that clever either, release dates for games never fail to confuse me, there can be donkeys with fuck all and then everything at once, for seemingly no good reason at all.

Xmas: No good reason at all.

This is it, releasing at Christmas might not have had the instant impact they were hoping for but it'll sell more for a longer period of time.

Between here and Christmas it'll do alright I think but from what I've played so far, it deserved a bigger launch,

I seem to remember someone asking about this earlier in the thread: the Xbox fanboys at IGN claim that Phil Spencer is responsible for the RotTR exclusivity deal. I think the query was whether the deal was in place before he arrived but apparently it wasn't.

I brought up the UFC advertising because there was a discussion about the lack of advertising for RotTR and some people hadn't seen any at all. I didn't know that Microsoft sponsor a lot of UFC events but I was just surprised that they thought there was some cross over of the audiences. Do the people that tend to watch UFC really care about a new Tomb Raider? I can't see them getting excited at the focus on more puzzle-based tombs. What I do find interesting is that it perhaps says a bit about the new direction that Tomb Raider has gone - a lot of killing, often very graphic and violent. That's perhaps what Microsoft think will appeal to UFC fans. Personally I think it's a waste of money and they'd have been better served spending it on advertising elsewhere, but that's just me.

Come on Sean, that's not what I mean and you know it. Obviously Xmas is a reason but it's November and we always have had weird release dates that seem to be based on movie release schedules. Although they are getting better at spreading them out.

The one thing no one has talked about here is that Microsoft will have guaranteed SE money for this exclusivity. They may have paid for some of the dev costs, advertising, reduced royalty. So whilst in the UK it has sold less,SE will have made loads more per copy sold at a reduced cost.

Come on Sean, that's not what I mean and you know it. Obviously Xmas is a reason but it's November and we always have had weird release dates that seem to be based on movie release schedules. Although they are getting better at spreading them out.

they can't make a video game tie-in in time for the release of the movie anymore. At least, not a triple-A multiformat title.

that's why mobile gaming is a boon.

COD BLOPS3 was released 27th October "in time for christmas".

That's not what I meant either.... the original way of releasing games seemed to be based on the same logic as when movies were released, despite being different forms of media consumed differently. I do get that November is classed as in time for Xmas but it was more that there are still loads of drought periods that surely would have been a better time for this. Wasn't it a gta or something that released in march for the first time even though so the experts thought it would die a death? Sure it was something "big" like that.

I just think that you could probably release things far more spread out than they do and that's all I was getting at.

I've just started this but it's got the same problems the first had, so far. It sort of grabs you by the back of the head and tries to rub your face in how EXTREME it all is. Lara's constantly just being utterly battered and everything is exploding all the time. It gets to the point that it ceases to have any meaning at all.

I also hate how they constantly take control away from you other than to push forward and endure the "arduous walking" animation.

Every location in the first two levels has been completely destroyed so far and both have started with Arduous Walking.

I really liked the platforming and design of the first tomb though. Felt like a return to the old games sort of level design.

Edit: third level, more Arduous Walking.

He's right though. The early locations do take a lot of damage from various things and there is a lot of "arduous walking". That said, I can't say that I ever thought it was overdone. It probably was but that thought just never occurred to me and I can't say I was bothered at all by it.

Lara does have a habit of totally ruining these wonderful, ancient ruins though. She should probably work on that.

You're absolutely right, it doesn't stay that way at all. It's really opened up and all the QTE stuff and talking control away from me has completely nosedived. The tombs are amazing.

If it keeps this up it's a serious contender for GOTY for me. The level design is just great.

The writing for the dialogue is still incredibly hokey but they're managing to keep me intrigued with the overall plot.