rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Robo_1

E3 2014 Microsoft Conference Thread: June 9th 5:30 PM BST

Microsoft E3 Poll  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Quantum Break will get its gameplay blow-out at Gamecom unfortunately. I think Microsoft will announce lots of stuff that is early in development, same as last year. But Spencer is a big improvement and he seems to be chasing interesting exclusives if the rumors about a new Phantom Dust and Project Nagano are true. But I'm in the same boat as you, the latter could sell me a One. Though Sunset Overdrive and the little we've seen of Quantum Break look great as well. Not the biggest Halo fan in the world, so that is of less appeal to me. They'll probably put a few indies in the spotlight as well, which is a good thing if they're of the calibre of Below. Then there are rumors of a big third party exclusive, I wonder if there is any truth in that.

Seems like MS have got the best shit this time around then. A massive PR job to shift people's perceptions, just like Sony pulled last year, will be the order of the day. At least they'll have the software to back up their claims this year. A bit like that fat bird from school that you bump into a few years later and turns out to be the stunner all along.

I expect a lot of 2015 games and some timed exclusives courtesy of a few money hats. some new and interesting IP would be good also (other than stuff already announced like Quantum Break obviously).

Christ, I must've seen a different list to you guys. Aside from Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive it's just endless boring sequels to franchises that have already been run into the ground. Another Fable, another Forza, another Gears, five more Halo games.

Hopefully we'll see some of Quantum Break actually looking like a playable game, with some proper indications of how it will work. I love Remedy and I want to trust them but we've seen so little which actually indicates how the game will play. More work for Platinum is always good as well, but I don't see what people are excited about with Sunset Overdrive. The concept is kind of interesting, but rather than the Tony Hawk meets Gears thing I imagined that gameplay just looks like a deeply generic third person shooter with a few canned movement animations and a lovely graphical style.

New IP would be nice, and some vague indication that Spencer understands that developers are more important than established brand names.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Seems like MS have got the best shit this time around then. A massive PR job to shift people's perceptions, just like Sony pulled last year, will be the order of the day. At least they'll have the software to back up their claims this year. A bit like that fat bird from school that you bump into a few years later and turns out to be the stunner all along.

How on Earth do Microsoft have the better software to show? There isn't a single surprise mentioned in that speculation post which means you're looking at the 5 Halo games, another Forza, Gears of War etc and thinking "man this is some good shit". Microsoft might have some surprises (and I hope they do) but to say they've already got the "best shit" just makes you look like a fanboy.

• Upvote 5

Yeah, I perhaps wasn't critical enough in my remarks at just how sequel heavy MS's announced titles are. Seeing Halo, Gears, Fable and Forza all lined up again, for yet another go around the E3 circuit is really deflating. Sunset Overdrive looks legitimately great, but it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst such a safe and unambitious lineup. It's a shame Black Tusk weren't allowed to pursue the original IP they had planned.

Hopefully a lot of the unannounced games will be fresh IP.

Christ, I must've seen a different list to you guys. Aside from Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive it's just endless boring sequels to franchises that have already been run into the ground. Another Fable, another Forza, another Gears, five more Halo games.
Christ, I must've seen a different list to you guys. Aside from Driveclub and the Order it's just endless boring sequels to franchises that have already been run into the ground. Another uncharted, another Singstar, another God of war, Syphon filter.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Christ, I must've seen a different list to you guys. Aside from Driveclub and the Order it's just endless boring sequels to franchises that have already been run into the ground. Another uncharted, another Singstar, another God of war, Syphon filter.

Two points really:

1: I don't own a PS4 or plan on buying one any time soon. Me thinking that Microsoft are fucking useless doesn't come from my love of Sony, it comes from my looking at the utter shit Microsoft are at the moment.

2: Even in your pisstaking comment, the best you can do is highlight an extremely varied set of games, most of which haven't had sequels recently or been anywhere near as over exposed as Microsoft's lineup.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd be the first to argue that Nintendo desperately need to work on completely fresh IP. I guess they get a bigger pass than most, because the quality of their output remains so consistently high. Point taken though, and I'm certainly not dismissing the lineup, as I'm sure the games themselves will be good, but it is an overly familiar E3 roster from MS. Plenty of time for them to spice it up though. :)

It's a shame Black Tusk weren't allowed to pursue the original IP they had planned.

That was never a game. That was just a tech demo to show... something or other. Honest.

Good old Phil Spencer.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Looking forward to seeing:

-KI Season 2 shown
-Below from Capybara games
-The Japanese releases/showreel as it launches in Japan before TGS and they've said they'll feature at E3
-Whatever G.Rev have up their sleeves, Where's my BD2??
-Swery finally showing Dark Dreams Don't Die with a release date
-iDarb
-Whatever the new fighting game from Capcom is
-If the Platinum games exclusive is real
-Rare doing something that isn't tied to Kinect

I get a feeling there will be some really good surprises this year.

tumblr_n6e0wdY7J61sr3k70o1_1280.jpg

Difference is, we have had 5 Halo's in 13 years, 4 Gears of War in 9 years, while at least Mario Kart's sequels have been spread over 22 years.

For me sequels to great games, isn't a problem, its franchises that are milked to death in a relative short life span that is more of a problem. MS have done it to Forza as well, which has had 6 different and apart from Horizons, more or less the same game in 8 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Difference is, we have had 5 Halo's in 13 years, 4 Gears of War in 9 years, while at least Mario Kart's sequels have been spread over 22 years.

For me sequels to great games, isn't a problem, its franchises that are milked to death in a relative short life span that is more of a problem. MS have done it to Forza as well, which has had 6 different and apart from Horizons, more or less the same game in 8 years.

Yeah, Nintendo consistently improve upon the formula. One which they usually invented to boot.

MS only churn out the exact same game with different protagonists, shinier graphics, and if you're lucky better AI.

It's telling that the majority of (non-US) gamers don't give a fig about the next Halo anymore, whereas the next Zelda, Mario Kart whatever Nintendo's making still manages to generate a lot of excitement with the majority of gamers. Or at least great expectations that it could be the next genre defining experience. Something people simply don't expect anymore from MS' output.

And -of course- MS has burnt a lot of bridges with gamers after last year's E3, and their continuing thinly veiled attempts to tell gamers what they ought to like, instead of listening to what they actually want.

-If the Platinum games exclusive is real

Not planning on buying an Xbone, so please no.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

A slimmer machine with the HD Halo pack and some good indies would do, but cant see the former happening yet. Lifting a lid off an old machine like they did with the 360 slim would go down well i think.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Eh nah - playing MK8 online only got time to neg between rounds.

I thought people who were precious about that rep bollocks were a myth.

I'm not precious about it. Just curious as to why you felt the need to neg it. What in particular do you disagree with?