rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Danster

World Cup Predictions 2014

Possible highest places:

Spoilered, just in case you didn't want to know....

10th - BZ LiMuBai - As I think you already know Portugal failing to turn up has scuppered your chances, a France win against Argentina in the final is your best bet.

8th - peeveen - no Ecuador or England means you're gonna struggle for any more points - a Brazil win is your best bet for points... as well as lots of us.

8th - tonymg - No Spain, so no points there and your other teams have been chosen by a lot of others. :(

7th - joeplus - No Uruguay or Portugal means a lack of points in the semis/final, you need France in the 3rd place playoff and Brazil to win.

6th - emjay2kay - Needs a Germany v Costa Rica 3rd place playoff and a Brazil win against Argentina to maximise your points.

5th - aehii - losing Chile hurt your chances of progressing higher, you need Germany in the 3rd place playoff with Argentina overall winners against Brazil.

5th - The Fox - Brazil in the 3rd place playoffs and an Argentina / Germany final with an Argentina win will see you zoom up the table.

4th - CrispyPhallus - Similar results needed as people already above you in the table, Need Germany vs Costa Rica in the 3rd place playoff and Brazil to win against Argentina in the final.

4th - PeteBrant - Similar results needed as people already above you in the table, Brazil to win against Argentina in the final.

4th - redbloodcell - Similar results needed as people already above you in the table, Argentina to win against Brazil in the final.

3rd - Commander Jameson - Similar results needed as people already above you in the table, Brazil to win against Argentina in the final.

3rd - pompey88 - Need Colombia to beat Brazil and Germany to win overall, simples! :P

3rd - Sirloin - Would be a great result, needs a France vs Argentina 3rd place playoff to get the most points possible, but goes to show how many points can be won in the final few games.

1st - AlwaysBeClosing - Brazil vs Germany and Netherlands vs Argentina semi finals will see you very close to winning. An Argentina Win will always scupper your chances, but I predict you are going to be very close to Panda come the end.

1st - Danster - I need Germany and Costa Rica :lol: to get to the semi finals, Germany in 3rd place play off, Brazil to win over Argentina.

1st - Jolly - Get Germany vs Netherlands in the 3rd place playoff and Argentina vs Brazil in the final and the title is yours, no matter who wins the final! :D

1st - Spork - requires a 3rd place playoff of Brazil vs Belgium and for Netherlands or Costa Rica to win overall :), not impossible!

1st - MalevolentPanda - it's yours to lose. Basically, if the four other of us who could win it fail to do so, you will win. Spork and I have outside chances dependent on the outside choices. Jolly is your greatest threat, I think, with a very good chance of achieving an early victory, ABC will also run you very close and it may come down to who wins in the final, which would be great! :)

• Upvote 5

That's absolutely nuts, well done dude. Do you make a killing at the bookies?

Nah, I never gamble on anything.

I think I've been lucky so far more than anything. That and capitalising on most of you English people having blind faith that your team would do well. ;)

Nah, I never gamble on anything.

I think I've been lucky so far more than anything. That and capitalising on most of you English people having blind faith that your team would do well. ;)

It was hope, not faith :(

Germany through and the table closes up more

1	MalevolentPanda		3322	AlwaysBeClosing		3103	Danster			2924	Jolly			2805	redbloodcell		2796	spork			2727	Commander Jameson	2628	CrisplyPhallus		2598	PeteBrant		25910	aehii			25211	emjay2kay		23912	BZ LiMuBai		23413	pompey88		23014	The Fox			22515	peeveen			21916	tonymg			21717	joeplus			21418	Sirloin			206

Wooooaaaah, Wooooahhh, oh oh, BRAZIL

1	MalevolentPanda		3422	AlwaysBeClosing		3203	Danster			3024	Jolly			2905	redbloodcell		2896	spork			2827	Commander Jameson	272=8	CrisplyPhallus		269=8	PeteBrant		26910	aehii			26211	emjay2kay		24912	BZ LiMuBai		24413	The Fox			23514	pompey88		23015	peeveen			22916	tonymg			22717	joeplus			22418	Sirloin			216

Argentina through as many of us predicted.

1	MalevolentPanda		3522	AlwaysBeClosing		3303	Danster			3124	Jolly			3005	redbloodcell		299=6	Commander Jameson	282=6	spork			282=8	CrisplyPhallus		279=8	PeteBrant		27910	aehii			27211	emjay2kay		25912	BZ LiMuBai		25413	The Fox			24514	pompey88		24015	peeveen			23916	tonymg			23717	Sirloin			22618	joeplus			224
Tonight, Jolly and ABC are dreaming of a Netherlands win and those all important bonus thirty points, bringing them ever so close to Panda. I need Costa Rica to win through to keep my dream alive! :)

... yes I think so because you chose France instead of Germany.

In which case you also need a Costa Rica win... then Argentina to win overall, I think that'd do it.

We have a new leader...

1	AlwaysBeClosing		3702	MalevolentPanda		3623	Jolly			3404	Danster			3125	redbloodcell		299=6	Commander Jameson	282=6	spork			282=8	CrisplyPhallus		279=8	PeteBrant		27910	aehii			27211	emjay2kay		25912	BZ LiMuBai		25413	The Fox			24514	pompey88		24015	peeveen			23916	tonymg			23717	Sirloin			22618	joeplus			224
  • Upvote 1

Panda, you still have a chance. Just been crunching the numbers this morning (sounds impressive doesn't it :) ). What you need to happen is a Brazil Vs Netherlands Final, with the Netherlands winning it. Then you will scrape home the winner!

And I can still win it too! With the same result, but Brazil winning overall.

Jolly you need the same as before, a Brazil Vs Argentina final.

ABC you need none of the above, specifically you need Germany to get to the final.

And that's exactly what they've done :)

1	AlwaysBeClosing		3902	MalevolentPanda		3623	Jolly			3404	Danster			3125	spork			3026	redbloodcell		2997	Commander Jameson	2828	CrisplyPhallus		2798	PeteBrant		27910	aehii			27211	The Fox			26512	BZ LiMuBai		26413	emjay2kay		25914	pompey88		25015	peeveen			23916	tonymg			23717	Sirloin			22618	joeplus			224
  • Upvote 1

Well, as if we didn't already know, I think today's table confirms AlwaysBeClosing's World Cup 2014 Prediction Win!!

Congrats. Bad luck to Panda, who led for so long, but at least it means I don't have to disqualify you... ;) Oh and well done to The Fox, who has done exactly what was needed to maximise their points.

It's not over yet, of course, some people did choose Argentina to win and so they may yet get a few more places. If I'd known Brazil were going to be as rubbish as they were Tuesday at the start of this thing... well I'd probably have had them being knocked out at the Quarters! :)

Anyway, the table:

1	AlwaysBeClosing		4702	MalevolentPanda		3823	Jolly			3604	Danster			3225	redbloodcell		3096	The Fox			3057	spork			3028	Commander Jameson	292=9	CrisplyPhallus		289=9	PeteBrant		28911	aehii			28212	BZ LiMuBai		27413	emjay2kay		26914	pompey88		25015	peeveen			23916	tonymg			23717	Sirloin			22618	joeplus			224
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for running this Danster! I'd be up for a Prem one if you fancied it.

Surprised I was the only one to go for Germany to win. Although I actually had a bet on Argentina before the tournament started instead... :facepalm:

:D I'd make a victory speech but I wouldn't know what to say. It was really fun following it Danster, the updates were really interesting! The PL one could work on a running basis.. automatic spreadsheet perhaps? Or a public one to edit and then lock before the weekend's games start? Could be really interesting!

What about points?

I used to do one ten years ago where you got 3 points for getting the score right, 2 points for getting half the score right and 1 point for getting just the result.

Well done everyone. You bastards.

I've done my predict-the-placings Prem competition for a couple of seasons but I'd happily step aside if you wanted to do something a bit more involved, Danster.