• 2 years later...

Picked this up a few days ago after becoming bored with the endless open World games and never ending rpgs around at the moment.

Played Last Light years ago but never got round to finishing it. Going through 2033 now, music off, Ranger mode, Russian language. I think it’s the most immersive gaming experience I’ve had all year.

More Resi 7 than COD with a smattering of F.E.A.R. and Fallout thrown in. Can’t wait for the next one.

• 10 months later...

Picked this up on rental on PS4, not played either of the Metro games before this.

So far, so good, started with Metro 2033 and am up to Chapter 4 or 5 (just finished the first proper topside mission). I was expecting an on-rails generic sewers shooter but it's way more than that. From the start it's heavy on atmosphere - dark and moody below, bright and frozen above. And its full of other humans and memorable sequences. A chase section in the old metro tunnels as you travel on a hand lever cart (a trading caravan). Crossing a ruined train bridge underground with a smuggler buddy, hearing clanking noises and then getting ambushed by mutants which can crawl on ceilings and come from all angles. Going topside into the frozen city and scouring old buildings for supplies whilst dodging packs of mutants.

It's very on rails at first (literally in some cases!), but is starting to open up a little more, with lots of hidey holes to explore off the main path. The metro stations (i.e. towns) really sell the vibe of the world, with their shitty underground living conditions and people going about their daily life having conversations you can listen in on. Although it's all pretty grim, it feels very human and you see kids running around laughing and comrades having a drink together, it's not all "oh god it's the end of the world". It's based on the Metro novel so there's plenty of backstory snippets to listen in on regarding the different factions and threats out there.

I was playing on Hardcore Survival - and ran out of bullets in the first combat encounter! On this difficulty you gotta go hunting around as ammo and supplies are in short supply. So far I really like the survival aspect of it with ammo conservation being important, and neat touches like having to manually pump a gadget to recharge your flashlight. All your gear feels suitably falling apart.

The only survival thing that grates a bit is the gas mask filters. I can't find a way to see how many I have left, which led to me accidentally wasting time exploring topside and running out of filters. That led to a loop of checkpoint death right at the end of the mission where I kept choking to death. I had to desperately sprint through the environment after each reload scouring the environment for a new filter, thankfully I eventually made it to one after about 20 attempts. The only other option would have been to restart the whole mission. I heard the filters are even worse on Ranger difficulty so screw that! Now I know though, I'll be sure to spend less time dilly-dallying on the surface.

Combat does lack a punch, but it's tense. You die easily on my difficulty - so even reloading times have to be chosen carefully, and your're always worried about running out of ammo. You definitely get a sense of panic when you alert a horde of mutants and they start coming out from every angle in the dark! Stealth works as a decent alternative, you get throwing knives and silent takedowns, but is only available in some areas. The main mutants I've come across so far are pack beasts, so alert one and it'll howl and all its friends will arrive. Sometimes it's better to sneak up and chuck a knife for a silent kill instead. For human enemies I read that they revamped the AI in Metro 2033 redux, before if you alerted them they would be on you like flies on shit - but now you can lose them if you run off and hide. Makes for some nice tactical encounters as you dodge traps, use surprise grenades and extinguish lights before inevitably it descends into a murder fest.

Overall it's obvious Metro 2033 isn't a big budget game, but what it lacks in overall polish and design, it more than makes up for in atmosphere, characters and memorable set pieces. And it even has a narrative to drive you through. Reminds me a lot of Stalker in feel, which is no surprise as half the Stalker team ended up making this game! Looking forward to playing more.

Never did finish the second one of these, it’s been sat on my Xbox hard drive for years waiting for me to return. I thought they were both excellent, as a huge fan of the original STALKER who never had good enough PC for either of the sequels, the Metro series successfully scratched that itch for me on console.

I just wish the monster designs were more effective, STALKER was legitimately terrifying in places whereas the Metro games have never really gone beyond ‘tense’.

• 2 years later...

Does this take a while to get going properly? I've got up to the market and, bar one nice stealth bit, it's just been packs of bullet sponge mutants running right up in my face again and again while I empty clips full of ammo into them. It doesn't help that there are various different systems that the game hasn't explained properly, including some of the controls and icons.

It’s a slow burner. Ammo is scarce so be thorough in your searching. Also there’s a lot of stealth required in places. It’s not a run and gun game really, apart from the places where it is of course!