Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

10 hours ago, watusi said:

The right analog stick (nub) thing almost feels faulty, if i circle it round it sticks and does not feel fluid. the rest of the device seems well made but the right trigger feels a bit off too. stiffer than the left and it sounds different.

Sounds faulty to me. Have a look under the nub and see if there's anything gunked up beneath.

40 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Sounds faulty to me. Have a look under the nub and see if there's anything gunked up beneath.

yeah, I agree. Reticent to rip it open day one but it’s also a ball ache to return. Will fiddle over the weekend. 

3 minutes ago, watusi said:

yeah, I agree. Reticent to rip it open day one but it’s also a ball ache to return. Will fiddle over the weekend. 

Try tilting the stick and use a cotton bud, staple or pen lid to run around and collect any gunk. Try to meet the stick inside if you can.

23 minutes ago, watusi said:

You do know the right stick is supposed to be different than the left one? It's a digital rather than analogue stick.

3 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Beginners question - in RetroArch can I set it so all my ROMs open with a certain core? E.g. all SNES open with the SNES core? I surely don't have to pick each one individually?!?

Retroarch lets you associate a game with a core when you load the game for the first time. So if you have a choice of, say, 3 different snes cores you could associate the game with the core that runs it best.  One done  it all loads automatically unless you choose to reset the core association, which means you'll get to pick a new one next time you choose that game. 

I done a thread in retro about the 3DS XL and New 3DS (and by that, also the 2DS)  but it's a very simple mod and it's been great with emulators so far.  Tried everything up to SNES, and of course it does DS etc fine too.  

My GPD XD+ turned up and runs Gamepass great as well as everything else I've thrown at it so far (can do up to GC with tweaks and certain games).  You can even swap the function of the shoulder buttons to better suit Xbox games (the bigger LR1 then becomes LR2 so works better on Forza 4 for acceleration)

I got it from Laptops Direct.  It was classed as grade A1 condition - as new but box opened.

When it turned up it did indeed look as new plus it is the 2019 model (grey matte not glossy black) so supposedly has a slightly less dodgy hinge mechanism.

From what I can see the box was only opened to remove the Chinese set fire to your house plug that they ship with so as to cover themselves legally which is fair enough.

Oh and the best bit...

£105 next day delivery

Loving ps1 stuff on the retroid Pocket 2 ,screen size and resolution is perfect so stuff looks really nice and crisp and colourful.

Breath of Fire 3 has some amazing graphics for the time that stand up really well.

Just now, deerokus said:

Loving ps1 stuff on the retroid Pocket 2 ,screen size and resolution is perfect so stuff looks really nice.

Breath of Fire 3 has some amazing graphics for the time that stand up really well.

Which emulator are using for ps1?

13 hours ago, deerokus said:

Don't know if there's a specific format, bin and cue works though. 

Yeah my RE2 file worked fine. Been messing about with DIG - doesn't recognize my c64 files for some reason. Ah well. Playing GBA games is nice.

Is it just me or does the Retroid Pocket 2 have some noticeable input lag. Particularly in the Retroid interface. It's more noticable in some games than others but SHMUPs seem bad

9 hours ago, watusi said:

Is it just me or does the Retroid Pocket 2 have some noticeable input lag. Particularly in the Retroid interface. It's more noticable in some games than others but SHMUPs seem bad

Yeah RetroidOS games seem to have input lag. Using standalone apps seems better. Have to admit this thing is a bit more faff than I thought it would be.