Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

Hmm sort of. There's lines on mine in some areas, like they are flickering. Tried rejigging everything, using the plug and slotting the cart in and out several times but they still come back. Most of the time it's okay but way too distracting in something like Tetris when they appear.

9 minutes ago, watusi said:

So you folks  are happy with the GPI so far? Mine has just arrived but I'm waiting on a pi zero w to arrive. I've installed supreme v1.1 in readiness.

I have a GB colour with everdrive so I'm hoping that this gives me a reason to sell those onwards.

The screen is a little low res for the menus so picking your theme might be an idea but other than that it seems to do everything it's supposed to.  When actually playing a game it's great, I've not noticed the lines Lorf has.

From what I can find out the problem might be to do with the pins between the two. The screen connect it like this little nubbles which don't provide as good a contact, pulling it apart and the unit is a bit flakey. Never sits 100% as it should and sort of rolls over that bit, the case does hold it in place but no surprise its dodgy. Not sure what the solution is.

11 hours ago, watusi said:

Maybe I’ll sit on it a little before building it then. I have a modded Vita that probably ticks more boxes than the GPi but i do so like the form factor of it.

I have a lovely Android based thing some kind person on here sold me. But yeah, it's the lovely retroness of the thing.

Had to switch away from the Supreme GPi image as I was having issues with it juddering in the menu and some lagginess in game. I'm now using the Facebook community group image which I managed to get a download for, and it is much better imho. At first I thought I'd got a problem with the Pi Zero W installed in the thing, but since switching images it's been much quicker. Added a load of my favourite stuff and couldn't be more thrilled with the device. :)

On 21/09/2019 at 10:32, Lumpy said:

Had to switch away from the Supreme GPi image as I was having issues with it juddering in the menu and some lagginess in game. I'm now using the Facebook community group image which I managed to get a download for, and it is much better imho. At first I thought I'd got a problem with the Pi Zero W installed in the thing, but since switching images it's been much quicker. Added a load of my favourite stuff and couldn't be more thrilled with the device. :)

Someone suggested turning off Bluetooth and Wifi.. just tried it now and several games that were really slow just play perfectly! So give that a whirl if you see any slowdown.

On 23/09/2019 at 19:22, Lorfarius said:

Someone suggested turning off Bluetooth and Wifi.. just tried it now and several games that were really slow just play perfectly! So give that a whirl if you see any slowdown.

That's brilliant! Thanks for the heads up on that. :)  I'll do that straight away on mine. I mean it's largely fine now since switching, but a bit of an extra performance boost can never hurt.

I really wish there was a way to improve the boot speeds on the Pi if anyone has any suggestions. With my Bitt Boy if you turn it on the menu loads in about 15 seconds, the Pi is almost a minute no matter which image you use. Robs it of that pick up and play cartridge feel.

Aye, I took mine into work today to cries of "Argh! It's a GameBoy! Wow!", only for them to have to watch and wait for what felt like an age before it booted up lol! My RS-97 Plus is of course much quicker as the OS is lighter (it has to be I suppose), but overall the Pi outperforms it.

I'm using a fully loaded sumpreme build, I grabbed the gpi community build but feeling a bit lazy about having to load it with goodies - is it worth the effort? I do think the supreme build seems a bit overengineered with things like pointless background music (turned straight off)

21 minutes ago, watusi said:

I'm using a fully loaded sumpreme build, I grabbed the gpi community build but feeling a bit lazy about having to load it with goodies - is it worth the effort? I do think the supreme build seems a bit overengineered with things like pointless background music (turned straight off)

I think so, seems to be the best image going at the moment and is constantly updated.

This whole thread has sucked up an unhealthy amount of my working day, I've not been paying attention and wasn't aware such things existed and the huge array that seem to exist - I had heard about using the PSP for retro emulation but never really explored it (my defence on all of this is that I have 6 year old child, and it's amazing how little they care for your interests).

So, starting from scratch - what are amongst the current best systems to look at? Does it vary depending on precisely what I want it to cover? Is there an idiots guide for people like me? 

It does depend what you want to cover, if it's 8 and 16-bit consoles and handhelds, and you're coming at this from the nostalgia angle, that Gpi is a gameboy.  But it can play GB,GBC, Mega Drive, Master system, NES, Lynx, Game Gear, Atari 2600 and has save states for the price of a Game Boy in the early 90s.

It's pretty compelling.

7 hours ago, Inept Pig said:

This whole thread has sucked up an unhealthy amount of my working day, I've not been paying attention and wasn't aware such things existed and the huge array that seem to exist - I had heard about using the PSP for retro emulation but never really explored it (my defence on all of this is that I have 6 year old child, and it's amazing how little they care for your interests).

So, starting from scratch - what are amongst the current best systems to look at? Does it vary depending on precisely what I want it to cover? Is there an idiots guide for people like me? 

I bought an RS-97 a few months back and, after installing a custom firmware, that has been able to deal with pretty much everything I've thrown it. Everything up to and including SNES/MD, and even some PS1 titles.

I also have a hacked PSP and that's perfect for PS1, PSP and Gameboy but it struggles with SNES games.

I love the hacked Switch.  There's a new core in Retroarch for Dreamcast that's really, really good.  My Switch is basically a handheld Dreamcast now.  More info in the Turn Your Switch Into A Fantastic Emulation Machine thread.  Also great for N64, PSP, PS1 etc.

7 hours ago, dumpster said:

I love the hacked Switch.  There's a new core in Retroarch for Dreamcast that's really, really good.  My Switch is basically a handheld Dreamcast now.  More info in the Turn Your Switch Into A Fantastic Emulation Machine thread.  Also great for N64, PSP, PS1 etc.

Is it really running DC games smoothly?

10 hours ago, Inept Pig said:

Pretty much that - retro gaming on the go; would beat staring at my phone for half an hour whilst The Boy goes for swimming lessons, etc. 

Can it also cover Arcade titles of the same era? 

Then yeah, virtually any of these devices will "do" you.

Arcade is always trickier of course.  Pac-Man was perfect, Street Fighter 2's sound was a mess but it was playable enough I won the first round.  So the answer is probably somewhere between the two.

2 hours ago, alex3d said:

Is it really running DC games smoothly?

Yep. In most games i have tried it has been perfect. I have even turned the screen on its side for Ikaruga. I have slight stuttering occasionally in Ferrari 355, and couldnt get Super Runabout to start. But that's it. I'd been playing with the beta of Reicast, waiting for an improved version to be released and this new one (Flycast) has come out of nowhere and it is amazing.

I settled on a RG300 in the end, £50 from amazon with a 32GB stick with 3000 games on it. USB-C, big battery and screen were the deciding factors.

DSC04705.jpg

I really want one with six face buttons, Sega Nomad style, but it seems like an impossible dream so I'll settle for this. 

Picked up my GPi Case yesterday. I went for lakka as my front end - it's bare bones, but is from the retroarch team so will be updated along with that. There's a specific build for the case.

I've made a lot of pi projects now. The goal for the last few years was to put a pi in a gameboy, but the cost, time and crafting skill level needed put me off. As soon as I saw someone was gonna be making these for the mass market I knew I had to have one. Lots of dodgy sellers on amazon, but Retroflag finally opened their official amazon uk store last week and got adequate stock in so I pulled the trigger for 70 quid. It did drop to 62 quid the next day though.

Having crammed a zero in a snes controller with a battery I knew these pi's can't really handle anything crazy so I went with Lakka as there's no fancy front end to slow the emulation down. Games up to and inc 16 bit are mostly perfect other than some slow down and audio glitching at mode 7 sections and super fx games. Did manage to play mario kart snes fine apart from the cc selection menu not appearing. Neogeo on fb burn alpha seems to run mostly fine. PS1 games run between 20 and 30fps and are playable.

It will be superb in a decade or two when these tiny computers are powerful enough to run stuff like my pc is capable of - previous gen consoles - and ALSO have swishy frontend like bigbox. Again, use that on my PC a LOT so can't see myself putting in a lot of time on the gpi case but it's really a lovely unit for the price.

However if you want the best handheld retro box currently available go for a first gen phat psp. They can be had for next to nothing on ebay.

Thanks for all the feedback, amazing amount of options that I did not know existed - I was leaning towards a PSP (any reason for the first gen over later versions?) due to screen size concerns on some of the other things posted throughout this thread, so I'll have a look at that as a first option (although sad to hear that they struggle with SNES emulation) 

I ended up backing up my lakka build, wiping it, and install the supreme fully loaded 32gig image from arcade punks. Takes a while to boot compared to how quick lakka was, but unsuprising as it loads in a swishy front end that's miles better than lakka's plain text, and the emulation somehow seems to be a bit quicker on it. Was playing Amiga games yesterday pretty well - first James Pond plays great, second James Pond has slow down. FB alpha seems to play all the capcom arcade games no probs at all inc the later stuff. Even Mario Kart SNES is playable.