Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

So, looks like Blaze are getting in on the act, just had an email from Funstock about the "Blaze Tab" same specs as the JXD 7800b, only LESS RAM!! I know they say it is for retro gaming, but you can never have enough RAM for emulation, seems a bizzare move really, if they were going to the effort of making a gamiong tablet, why not put some extra effort in and go for an upgrade, get all the people who currently own one, and those considering a purchase to buy it?

A lot of people seem to think the Blaze Tab is a rebadged GPD G7. I was hoping it would be a suitable replacement to my JXD7800b (which I had to return when the battery died), but the digital shoulder buttons put me off.

Anyone heard of the Snail W3D Android phone? It was shown at E3 a few months ago and is due to launch on September 30th for $400, (according to Amazon). Interestingly, it offers handheld-like controllers and supports 3D eye tracking out of the box.

W3D Specs:
CPU: 8 Core MTK6592 @ 2.2GHz
Cellular: LTE / WCDMA / TD-SCDMA / GSM
RAM: 16GB ROM + 2 GB RAM LPDDR3@933MHz
Memory: Micro SDXC card holds up to 64GB
Display: 5.5" 1080p Full HD touch screen / Display Colors 16M
Battery: 4000mAh high-energy density shielded lithium polymer battery
Camera: 13-megapixel main camera 5-megapixel back camera
Audio: Stereo audio output, multiple video format playback
Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.0 + LE transmission

• Upvote 2

Anyone received their GPD XD yet? I saw they've extended the early order discount until 19th September and I'm curious about what people think of it as I'm considering buying one again. Is it as good as it looks, or are there some annoying flaws?

Got it today. Initial impressions are very good. Mine has the moving battery issue which only really occurs when the lid is closed and you really shake it. No movement from it when in use but local phone repair shop said they can open her up and reseat it for me.

Now gonna give it a good try out and will return later!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

- Is it worth me plumping for a JXD or holding off for a better model?

- On Amazon there is £11 difference between 8GB and 16GB, has everyone found 8GB adequate or is it just worth plumping for 16GB?

- What's stopping smooth Dreamcast/GameCube emulation, hardware or software?

- Some people have been suggesting to buy second hand, what advice would you give for buying off eBay?

- What's the status of PS2 (and upwards) emulation?

- In simple terms, what are the initial steps to maximising performance? (I.e. Over clocking, custom firmware, best emulators, replace/remove stock apps etc)

Thanks in advance!

Wanted to reiterate Smithstock's questions, is this still the device to get alongside the G7? Seems crazy that most of the videos and info on these is over a year old and there's been nothing new sweeping the scene. A repackaged JXD would be enough, can see me just getting

Never mind chunky, it's ugly and looks properly uncomfortable. Now, make a dedicated portable emulation machine shaped like a Gameboy Advance, only with four face buttons plus the triggers (and perhaps with a Neo Geo Pocket style stick instead of a D-pad...) and we're talking.

• Upvote 1

Got it today. Initial impressions are very good. Mine has the moving battery issue which only really occurs when the lid is closed and you really shake it. No movement from it when in use but local phone repair shop said they can open her up and reseat it for me.

Now gonna give it a good try out and will return later!

Mine hasn't arrived yet. What do you think of the machine? Strengths? Weaknesses? Any tips for setup for when mine eventually arrives?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any issues with the JXD S7800B and outputting via HDMI? I had to turn Frameskip on across all emus to stop the sound from becoming distorted but more annoyingly the controls have added lag. I'm throwing it up on a wall with a HDMI projector and the slowdown on pressing buttons is very annoying. Fine as soon as I unplug it from projector. Running custom firmware of course.

Hi Lorf.

When I looked last there was no solution to this. The kernel that's used in all (?) firmwares is the official one as they haven't released the source for it.

There's a limitation of those official kernels that prevent 60hz HDMI output. Some do 47hz and some do 40hz for example.

This really limits the usefulness of the JXD HDMI port. Until JXD release the source then I think we're stuck with it like it is.

Cheers...

• Upvote 1

That's a drawback of the Win8 tablet I had - 1080p would bring the refresh rate down to 30hz, whereas 720p would give 60hz. Might be for power consumption reasons - one of my laptops defaults to a 40hz refresh on battery for similar reasons, although that got switched off ASAP.

• 3 months later...

1439428626527-P-2948723.jpg

I've recently been getting more and more into retro gaming, and have decided that I want to invest in a specific machine to do so. My eye has been caught by a number of these Chinese Android gaming tablets, the most recent of which is the GPD XD.

GPD-XD-HDMI-and-USB-outputs-e14421607372

GPD-XD-Detailed-button-labels.jpg

Leaving aside the fact that it looks like a 3DS clone, this little handheld seems to be picking up really solid reviews across the board. The lack of bluetooth and 5ghz wifi seem to be the only gripes, but other than that, this handheld seems geared to play pretty much every game system up to and including the PSP and Dreamcast, whilst covering all the fundamentals you'd expect from a standard android device.

There are some rival devices, and I've been looking at both the Tegra iPlay and the forthcoming, JXD-Singularity, both of which seem to have a lot more grunt, but at more than double the price, I'm not sure they're worth the extra cost for somebody who largely just wants to play old Spectrum and Mega Drive games. :)

I would like to pipe the image to the TV though, so if anyone has any experience of how that works, along with any comments or reviews then I'd love to hear them. I'm thinking of buying one from Geek Buying, any word on delivery times, or dealing with them if there are any problems?

Anyway, really looking forward to getting one. The idea of one device with over 25 years worth of gaming consoles on them is pretty mind blowing when you think about it. Although I'll probably spend hours setting it up, to largely play the same 20 - 30 games incessantly. ;)

Edit: Wow, GeekBuying sound pretty awful if something goes wrong! Can anyone recommend a better seller?

1439428626527-P-2948723.jpg

I've recently been getting more and more into retro gaming, and have decided that I want to invest in a specific machine to do so. My eye has been caught by a number of these Chinese Android gaming tablets, the most recent of which is the GPD XD.

GPD-XD-HDMI-and-USB-outputs-e14421607372

GPD-XD-Detailed-button-labels.jpg

Leaving aside the fact that it looks like a 3DS clone, this little handheld seems to be picking up really solid reviews across the board. The lack of bluetooth and 5ghz wifi seem to be the only gripes, but other than that, this handheld seems geared to play pretty much every game system up to and including the PSP and Dreamcast, whilst covering all the fundamentals you'd expect from a standard android device.

There are some rival devices, and I've been looking at both the Tegra iPlay and the forthcoming, JXD-Singularity, both of which seem to have a lot more grunt, but at more than double the price, I'm not sure they're worth the extra cost for somebody who largely just wants to play old Spectrum and Mega Drive games. :)

I would like to pipe the image to the TV though, so if anyone has any experience of how that works, along with any comments or reviews then I'd love to hear them. I'm thinking of buying one from Geek Buying, any word on delivery times, or dealing with them if there are any problems?

Anyway, really looking forward to getting one. The idea of one device with over 25 years worth of gaming consoles on them is pretty mind blowing when you think about it. Although I'll probably spend hours setting it up, to largely play the same 20 - 30 games incessantly. ;)

Edit: Wow, GeekBuying sound pretty awful if something goes wrong! Can anyone recommend a better seller?

Im always looking at that and nearly pull the trigger but i have a PSP that suits me fine at the moment.

However, Funstock are uk based and have them

http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/gpd-xd-retro-gaming-gamepad&filter_name=gpd

not the cheapest but normally a 5% discount on their twitter feed and such like.

Oh, and if you like blue (!)

• Upvote 1

Im always looking at that and nearly pull the trigger but i have a PSP that suits me fine at the moment.

However, Funstock are uk based and have them

http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/gpd-xd-retro-gaming-gamepad&filter_name=gpd

not the cheapest but normally a 5% discount on their twitter feed and such like.

Oh, and if you like blue (!)

Yeah, I would have liked to have bought it from Funstock, but the price difference was nearly 50 euros once shipping was calculated. I found a 5 percent off code for GeekBuying (NEWYEAR5), and just thought what the hell, I took out all the shipping insurances and paid with Paypal, so there's some protection if I'm dicked around. Also got one from their Spanish warehouse, although I had to get the 32gb model then (was €20 more, but for double the memory I figure that should pretty much cover my emulation needs) and I figure it should save me and customs headaches.

Anyway, really excited for the device. Been watching more review vids and aside from the missing bluetooth, lack of 5ghz WiFi and some complaints that the d-pad is on the small side, it's pretty much blanket praise. There's a lot of enthusiasm for the general build quality, (which far exceeds the typical releases from the Chinese console makers) and for the screen quality and button layout. The software also seems very intuitive to use, and the inclusion of Happy Chic (the legal minefield and rom installer) the device appears really easy to use and get up to speed on.

Will certainly post thoughts when it arrives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dijYHMTY74I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dijYHMTY74I

• Upvote 1

I'm totally happy with the impressive, expanding and ever improving retroarch cores on the N3DS...but this thing seems to have the grunt to do the DC and the notoriously difficult N64 justice. Those two aint never appearing on no 3DS. I couldn't possibly justify...no..I think I'll need to stay out of here...

Is it certain that Dreamcast games will run fine on it? If so I'll be getting one immediately.

I've ordered a fitness tracker at GeekBuying recently and had no problems. There is even some postal tracking, even though quite rudimentary.

• Upvote 1