rllmuk
NEG

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players

Been looking at the Dingoo lately but I hear there may be better stuff? GW Zero looks nice but apparently there's loads of Android alternatives now? Is there a list somewhere? Recommend away!

The Dingoo seems to do loads of systems including neo geo, GW Zero does 32X.

• Upvote 1

I've got a JXD S7800b and I couldn't recommend it enough, I love the thing. Plays everything, even got it running Shenmue in all it's full screen glory ! I'll do a review when I get home from work, but as I say, anyone with £120 spare they won't be disappointed

• Upvote 4

Few pics of my JXD running random shiznit, if anyone wants any info about them just ask, I've turned into a bit of a fanboy, I've made a few of the lads at work but them !

F08919B5-5C58-4C2D-9E3E-1B631969703C.jpg

4866CA7F-AAEB-4C21-B624-1914CEC80336.jpg

64D86E13-6E2E-4E84-89C4-3B6E488444B0.jpg

ED40D60A-DEAE-4AA2-B30E-D0B149AEA05A.jpg

0DB31524-4043-4DEE-848E-DE32FD395D26.jpg

4ADCB391-E4D7-4424-9E64-C19FF9110731.jpg

700FF7E6-DF22-47B3-914C-CF8CDD412ACB.jpg

• Upvote 8

There's only one DC Emulator currently called Reicast, it's pretty good, out of 40 odd games I've tried it's probably not played 10, although I'm sure there's ways to get all working

What would you say are the faults/cons? Besides the little TOO HUGE size perhaps. Also saw one review state the charger it comes with is terrible.

Yep the charger is fairly awful but it's just a standard charger, easily pick one up off eBay for a couple of quid...

Pros-

The size - it's massive, but comfortably massive, the screen is a cracking size for handheld gaming and it feels great in your hands.

The screen - I've had a few cheap touchscreen iPad clones in the past and the screens have been terrible, this isn't, it's a bloody cracking screen, really good.

Customisation - you can do SO much with it, changing firmware, everything, you can customise everything to suit you.

Games - as well as having the Google Play Store, obviously you'll be interested in emulators, there's a few in built ones but I recommend spending a couple of quid and getting the best ones available from the play store, the ePsxe one is my favourite, there's nothing I've thrown at that that it can't play, and I love the way the Roms are set out, I've got a pic of that somewhere I'll post.

Overall - for the money it's an absolute quality bit of kit, perfect for retro gaming on the move or at home, I take mine to work every day, play some old Nes and Megadrive games and have a memory card full of UFC stuff I watch when I've got 5 minutes. Mine cost £125 delivered and I honestly would have happily paid double that.

Cons -

To be fair there's not many, I found that there were icons going missing off my home screen as the default launcher is bugged, but I installed Nova launcher from the play store for free and that runs lovely. The battery is a bit shit, I think I get about 6 hours from a full charge which I suppose isn't too bad. Download a 3gig Dreamcast game that ends up not working can get frustrating but Reicast is a growing community, it's getting updated all the time and is getting better and better

In summary, for running Anything up to the PS1 it's fantastic, not found anything it won't run, The N64 emulator and the Dreamcast emulators are works in progress and are getting better all the time, I've had Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Skies Of Arcadia, Code Veronica etc. running lovely. Also there's talk within the community that a GameCube emulator will work with the device by the end of the year which would be awesome. It's a beast of a machine for not much cost, if you have the cash spare I really recommend it.

• Upvote 7

Is there anything on the Amiga your interested in in particular ? I've got the full set of Amiga games so I'll have a test when I get home and post you the results :)

• Upvote 1

I'd defo plays 32X and MegaCD as I have the emulators, not sure about Saturn but it must do, anybody wants me to test stuff I'm happy to, will post some pics of my findings :)

• Upvote 1

I'd be very interested to know if it plays Phantasy Star Online on the DC. Would love to whip out a handheld device and blast through the forest whenever and wherever I had 10 mins spare.

Bought a GP2X Caanoo off ebay today, will let ya know what it's emulation stuff is like once it arrives bud.

Yes please! Gotta love the weird names of these things. :)

In summary, for running Anything up to the PS1 it's fantastic, not found anything it won't run, The N64 emulator and the Dreamcast emulators are works in progress and are getting better all the time, I've had Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Skies Of Arcadia, Code Veronica etc. running lovely. Also there's talk within the community that a GameCube emulator will work with the device by the end of the year which would be awesome. It's a beast of a machine for not much cost, if you have the cash spare I really recommend it.

Thanks for your really useful summary which pretty much pushed me over the edge! Any word on how handy XBMC is on the JXD?

• Upvote 1

Came here to post some comments on the GCW zero but left wanting a JXD.

GCW zero is basically a faster Dingoo, it runs the same O/S and dingoo apps/emu's are compatible but don't usually run quite right. The dev scene for GCW seems active enough but there's not been much new emu wise for a while.

The main reason I got one was for SNES emulation and its very good at that, enough power to run every game I've thrown at it with little noticable slow down.

The controls are a little creaky and there's too much travel on the dpad and buttons. And one big killer is no standby mode at all.

Decent enough but not sure I'd bother recommending it over something like the JXD. I can't imagine it will ever manage anything above 16bit.

Yes please! Gotta love the weird names of these things. :)

Well, it arrived and they guy had used someone else's photo, what was a Caanoo in the picture, AND the description, turned out to be a GP2X F100, the old model, which doesn't work properly if you don't have really well charged batteries in it.

It is going back as it is not what I paid for or wanted :(

I've got me an OpenPandora, which, while expensive, is pretty cool for PS1, Megadrive and SNES. It takes full size SD cards (which comes in useful when moving photos from camera to tablet), and has a couple of its own games. There is some Android support, but it's a bit dated due to a lack of memory.

They're currently working on a successor which should be a lot more powerful (much more akin to modern phones) called the Pyra which I think will be quite neat - much better spec and should be capable of running modern Android in comparison.

I think the thing that I like about it is that for retro games you get a real keyboard, not just an onscreen jobby. I was an early orderer so it was a lot cheaper than it is nowadays.