rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Keyboard Koala

Napoléon - L'Aigle de Guerre

Aigle_de_guerre_Logo.PNG

Just got this. Strange little game this one.

An early GBA RTS developed by Genki (and not Intelligent Systems, as some sites claim) under supervision of Nintendo.

Released in November 2002 in France, Switzerland and Belgium only - since the game is exclusively in French.

In the game's Story Mode, players slip into the role of none other than France's Napoléon Bonaparte who leads the revolutionary army into battle against the evil English (!).

Set in the late 18th century, Napoléon's story is told in a Fire Emblem fashion via strategic maps and character dialogue. But don't be misled by the game's title and authentic looking characters. This isn't a historically accurate simulation of the exploits of the famous French general -- unless, unbeknownst to historians, Napoléon actually fought giant man-eating ogres and abominable snowmen. The objectives for the missions vary slightly, but the basic idea is to send out your units, defeat the enemy and take over the opponent's stronghold.

There's a strange mix of historical and fantasy characters, but gameplay wise it's not too bad. Still, I suppose not many 'mukers got to play this one, as this was squarely targeted at a French-speaking audience.

Intro + demo:

Official Japanese website (-- still up!):

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/anpj/mobile_c/index.html

aiguga0b.jpg

• Upvote 2

Interesting, when I read your synopsis, it gave me the impression the game was literally only released as a French-language exclusive game from Nintendo, which would have one-upped previous US-only Nintendo games developed in Japan.

So I had a look, it was supposedly a launch title in Japan aswell, and a fan translation into English exists for it.

Interesting, when I read your synopsis, it gave me the impression the game was literally only released as a French-language exclusive game from Nintendo, which would have one-upped previous US-only Nintendo games developed in Japan.

So I had a look, it was supposedly a launch title in Japan aswell, and a fan translation into English exists for it.

Yes, it was. But apart from that, only a French version exists.

So was it worth the money?, RTS and consoles don't have the greatest track record compared to TBS on consoles. Can't think of a single homerun, though I do need to play Herzog Zwei at some point, as that is a contender for the father of the entire genre.

Worth the money? Dunno really, only been playing this for a couple of hours. And it's not like it costs tons of money either. Bought a brand new still sealed copy for £14. Still, a really entertaining game, imo. Then again, it's not everyday you play a game about Napoleon fighting both the English and giant trolls. Worth it if you're a retro nut after something different.