rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
joeplus

Bands you will never dislike

Hello, music forum!

I've been making an effort to discover some new music recently, after a few years where I just listened to podcasts all the time. I hope I can get involved a bit, I love the TV forum here and have no reason to believe this forum will be any less excellent.

Out of curiosity, I wonder what are your sacred bands/artists? You know, the ones you will always say you are a fan of. You know the whole back catalogue. When they release a new album you'll want to love it and even if it's disappointing you'll find the best in it. Any gigs near you are a must-attend. And even if they have 500 million fans, you still think of them as your band.

Radiohead were that for me when I was 15 but British Sea Power have stepped into the role since. I love BSP with all my heart. There's also The Thermals and Half Man Half Biscuit but I don't feel steeped enough into them to hold that kind of connection.

Sorry if this is a rubbish thread but it'd be nice to hear your love stories for music.

• Upvote 1

Pearl Jam.

I shoplifted their first album. I was 15 and trying to impress some older dudes who had just scored some hash. Even when Eddie wailed his guts out doing all that Indian shit on the soundtrack to Into the Wild, I still forgave him. Cos Even Flow. And Black. Which is the ultimate breakup song which decimates all that come before it with massive damage.

I know some day you'll have a beautiful life,

I know you'll be a sun,

In sombody else's sky,

But why, why whyeeeeeeye couldn't it bebebe miiiiineeee...

• Upvote 4

the_b-52_s.jpgB-52s%20Wild%20Planet.jpg

You cant say fairer than that can you? ive been listening to them since about 1984, and seen them live many many times.

post-265-0-76945100-1400289853.jpg

Theres me from August last year in Brum

I guess almost the entire universe likes something by The B-52s right?

and despite their set-backs over the years they just keep on going!

:wub:

• Upvote 2

The Cardigans.

So underrated. So good. Generally great lyrics too. Interesting band as Nina only took over writing lyrics around First Band on the Moon. Love their earlier stuff too.

They do a mean Sabbath cover too they were all metal heads when they met.

I've only seen them live once in Dublin in 2006 but they were amazing and they still play the odd gig on and off so I live in hope of a new album. Long Gone Before Daylight is the one if you've not heard it it's the most beautiful record. My favourite overall track of theirs is this:

The Dm near the end fucks me up proper.

That's because they all sound the same :hat:

I was typing the EXACT same reply when "1 new reply" flashed up!

I do love them, though. It's a hell of a song.

• Upvote 1

The band you love will always end up by "jumping the shark", its inevitable.

There are loads of artists I really still rate, would see live in a heartbeat, always interested in what they have got going on, but am realistic in the proposition that the latest output won't really be that great at all.

For example, Prince. Fits all of those above. Hasn't done anything that great since 1988 (IMO) but still great that he is about, and still plays those fantastic live shows. But his output now, couldn't give a shit about it, as its over as far as I am concerned. I killed that idol a long time ago, around Diamonds and Pearls when I up'd and left him to it.

There are loads of acts still going that I really respect, but couldn't give a flying one on their new output. These are generally the bands leader as well, such as Perry Farrel, Wayne Coyne, Phillip Oakey, David Sylvian, could be a big list.

As I sit here today and rifle through my collection, up to this point in time where (a) the band is still going and (b) they have never put a foot wrong so far, are...

Boards of Canada

Flying Lotus

Tom Waits

Tortoise

Arctic Monkeys

Bombay Bicycle Club

The Horrors

James Blake

My Bloody Valentine

PJ Harvey

Beastie Boys (although I doubt they will continue)

All these acts are still going, haven't retired and reformed for the money, and still have a consistant catalog of great release after great release without any major clangers IMO.

Depressingly of course at least 40% of thoes may slope off towards the end. However acts like Tom Waits give me strength that it doesn't always have to be like that! :)

Push come to shove though, the 2 artists I feel are beyond critisim are The Human League and Japan. Listened to them from around the age of 11, so they are so intrinsically spliced with my DNA, I would not hear what a brand new listener would hear from, say, a really cruddy Japan B-side. All I would hear is the sound of my life

• Upvote 1

I don't really understand the topic to be honest. I adore Radiohead and they are far and away my favourite band, but it doesn't change the fact I thought King of Limbs was pretty poor.

The Prodigy. I never really listen to them in the house, apart from when they have a new album out, however I seem to have memorised their back cat and have seen them live nearly 20 times. Lost count of the exact number, but it's high teens.

• Upvote 2

I don't really understand the topic to be honest. I adore Radiohead and they are far and away my favourite band, but it doesn't change the fact I thought King of Limbs was pretty poor.

Much the same to be honest, although my break was with Hail To the Thief, really didn't like that at all. They bounced back with In Rainbows though.

Again, would want to see them live, no question!

I still tolerate Bon Jovi despite all their albums being awful since These Days in 1995. Cross Road was the first album I ever bought on cassette. Sambora leaving has finally made me give up though.

Nick Cave and all of the Bad Seeds solo projects. Been into Cave since the late 80s and seen him live a ridiculous amount of times, as well as all the offshoot bands and side projects. Going to see ex Seed Mick Harvey do a set of Gainsbourg covers in North London next week which I'd forgotten about until just now.

For me the most important singer/songwriter since Dylan and Cash, and easily up there with them.

• Upvote 2

Good idea for a thread. I thought about this phenomenon just a few weeks ago actually. I have a few bands that were massively important to me in my teens and still sometimes when I get drunk and/or otherwise in the right sentimental mood I go back and re-listen to a select few songs from various albums. However, if I were to choose one band then it's Pearl Jam for me too. Even if I don't really listen to them much anymore I still keep track of what's going on and try my best to like their more recent stuff ( even though I really don't and it doesn't come close to the stuff I used to love them for way back when). Still, no one is a match for Eddie Vedder's voice on those first albums. Love of my life <3

I suppose I mean that a bad album wouldn't dent my goodwill. I mean, I thought KOL was definitely on the weak side, but I was still mad excited that it existed, looked up the live performances on Youtube, etc. And if there's rumours of a new album I'll still be waiting with bated breath.

And Black. Which is the ultimate breakup song which decimates all that come before it with massive damage.

I know some day you'll have a beautiful life,

I know you'll be a sun,

In sombody else's sky,

But why, why whyeeeeeeye couldn't it bebebe miiiiineeee...

Good call but it's star not sun isn't it? Please don't tell me I've been singing along all wrong for twenty odd years.

The Cardigans is a great call too, and I'd lump Nina's side project A Camp in with that (I always thought Long Gone Before Midnight was the Cardigans "doing" A Camp even better than A Camp, IYSWIM).

For me it's probably Iron Maiden, who are the only band I've been listening to since I was a teenager, who I've stuck with through some very ropey periods (the whole 90s basically - I prefer to try to forget rather than forgive) and still enjoy and look forward to every new album.

There are lots of others who I discovered in my 20s. Maria McKee springs to mind but she seems to have disappeared off the scene entirely now. She released three great albums in the space of five years in the 00s, but it's been seven years since the last one. Then again she's had a seven year gap before so I still live in hope.

Yo La Tengo. They can do no wrong in my eyes. I'm just smitten with them.

I used to think about The Fall like this, but MES has been muddying his patch since about 2005.

But yeah, YLT, they're just lovely every which way up.