Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

Floex

10 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s mad isn’t it that during the 360’s lifespan it had Halo 3, ODST, Reach, Halo 4 and Combat Evolved Remastered yet Xbox One just had the one, Halo 5. 

Think I might start ODST, how does it fare on Legendary, or should I just stick with Heroic? 

Bear in mind we did have the whole MCC package which didn't have the best of launches into the world! God knows how much time and effort has gone into it and maintaining it all, but I guess that did curtail things somewhat.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

It’s mad isn’t it that during the 360’s lifespan it had Halo 3, ODST, Reach, Halo 4 and Combat Evolved Remastered yet Xbox One just had the one, Halo 5. 

Think I might start ODST, how does it fare on Legendary, or should I just stick with Heroic? 

It can be a bastard in certain levels and even in the hub world on Legendary, but it’s definitely worth it if you’re up for the challenge. There’s nothing better than replaying those encounters over and over again using different tactics until everything comes together and you pull it off perfectly. Go for it.

He’s right about Halo 3 they were fantastic and I suppose some things had to be scaled back in 4 because of the higher image quality and 60fps. 

He seems quite excited about Infinite, because of the explosions of course. The hype surrounding that game is building to immense proportions. 

• 3 months later...

It didn't get a huge amount of fanfare, but in addition to the mad Destiny-esque medieval armour in the new update, they've also done a significant amount of work in terms of tidying up Halo 2. The version of classic Halo 2 that's been in MCC since launch looks significantly worse than the original game, with washed out colours, flat lighting, missing shadows, missing scenery, etc. They've since remedied all that in the same way that they adjusted Halo 1, and the game looks absolutely great. I hadn't realised so much was missing, and I'd always been surprised by how bad it looked when switching back from the remastered visuals, so to see it now as it's supposed to look is pretty surprising - although obviously it's still dated a bit by its age and by Bungie's ridiculous over-ambition.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

Anyone know what the (presumably) recent 38gb update on the series X is?

It might be not that recent but I don’t remember cancelling it before

I would assume it’s either the 20th anniversary update, or season 8. 38gb sounds like a lot for the 20th anniversary stuff given that it’s just some extra armour types and accessories, but the patches can be pretty big. 

By gum, Halo CE never gets old. 

Silent Cartographer's opening still makes me smile with excitement to this day. One of those magical moments in my gaming life that made me forget I was playing a game and actually zoned me into feeling like I was some big green metal giant of a man.

With a big gun and a somewhat nude lady in my head.

God, it's damn fine coffee.

Started Halo 2 again for the first time since release. Never did the anniversary one. Loads of fun so far. I always play on heroic as I like to play Halo like i'm in an action film, completely reckless. The way you need to inch around on legendary is not for me. Heroic is fairly easy at this point, though I do die a lot. Dual wielding plasma rifle and smg just destroys elites in seconds. Even the two hunters on the second level were pretty easy, certainly way, way easier than the hunters in reach on heroic.

• 1 month later...

I decided I should finish all the Halo games before starting Infinite, as I only ever completed ODST and 3 on the 360.

I started the MCC a few months back with Reach then Halo 1 on my One X (I also replayed ODST as I always had fond memories of that, and that’s more of a spin-off anyway).

I decided to move over to PC for Halo 2 for the definitive experience, I have to say I really enjoyed it. I’m not great at FPS games and even on Heroic I found some sections extremely difficult, but overall I had a great time.

The new tune by Misha Mansoor absolutely blew me away, I knew Steve Vai had been involved with the soundtrack back in the Xbox OG days, but I wasn’t expecting de-tuned riffage that rivals Doom 2016’s best tracks?! 

Looking forward to starting Halo 3 again after all these years. Although that infamous Flood mission is really going to suck…

45 minutes ago, PikaStu said:

I decided I should finish all the Halo games before starting Infinite, as I only ever completed ODST and 3 on the 360.

I started the MCC a few months back with Reach then Halo 1 on my One X (I also replayed ODST as I always had fond memories of that, and that’s more of a spin-off anyway).

I decided to move over to PC for Halo 2 for the definitive experience, I have to say I really enjoyed it. I’m not great at FPS games and even on Heroic I found some sections extremely difficult, but overall I had a great time.

The new tune by Misha Mansoor absolutely blew me away, I knew Steve Vai had been involved with the soundtrack back in the Xbox OG days, but I wasn’t expecting de-tuned riffage that rivals Doom 2016’s best tracks?! 

Looking forward to starting Halo 3 again after all these years. Although that infamous Flood mission is really going to suck…

The best way to approach that "Cortana" level is to kill every flood. They don't just endlessly spawn, as there's a set, finite amount of them. 

If you do that, it's far more fun. Trying to just push through it and run past them will result in many deaths and retries. 

12 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The best way to approach that "Cortana" level is to kill every flood. They don't just endlessly spawn, as there's a set, finite amount of them. 

If you do that, it's far more fun. Trying to just push through it and run past them will result in many deaths and retries. 

Debatable!

Way back in the day I think I pretty much charged through that level as quickly as possible, hating every second of it. You never know, I might enjoy it if I approach it differently. 

I mean I found the Library alright this time round, I hated that level on the Xbox OG!

Well I took my time, sat back and killed everything in the Cortana level. It really wasn’t a chore like I found it back in 2007ish (whenever Halo 3 came out).

In fact, I’d completely forgotten just how damn good Halo 3 was overall. Im really enjoying it… not got long to go now then on to Halo 4 which I’ve never played. 

1 hour ago, PikaStu said:

Well I took my time, sat back and killed everything in the Cortana level. It really wasn’t a chore like I found it back in 2007ish (whenever Halo 3 came out).

In fact, I’d completely forgotten just how damn good Halo 3 was overall. Im really enjoying it… not got long to go now then on to Halo 4 which I’ve never played. 

Excellent! 

Yeah, I feel there's maybe a miscommunication in the aesthetic design of the level, where it feels like you're trying to ram your way through a Zombie infested hive, where it's not really the case. You have to exterminate them all and go slow, then it's loads of fun! The Needler is particularly great against the flood morphing guys. 

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Excellent! 

Yeah, I feel there's maybe a miscommunication in the aesthetic design of the level, where it feels like you're trying to ram your way through a Zombie infested hive, where it's not really the case. You have to exterminate them all and go slow, then it's loads of fun! The Needler is particularly great against the flood morphing guys. 

Yeah I spent most of the level switching between the needler and the laser sword. Great fun!

I also enjoyed the final level, escaping on the Warthog. I remember that being quite tricky before, but it was alright this time, just driving over flood that get in the way!

Time for Halo 4!

I’ve played through the first couple of levels of Halo 4 now. Initial impressions are strong, it has a very “clean” look to it, very nice. Playing at 1440p ultra wide and it’s stunning. 

The variety of areas has been good so far, the usual corridors inside a ship, then outside in low gravity was really cool. Down to the surface of the planet and inside the first large structure. All very “Halo by numbers” I guess, but at the same time some of the best looking Halo I’ve played.

This was originally a 360 game yeah? How well did it run on that? Considering Halo 3 was sub-720p…

It ran beautifully on the 360 - it was part of that late-gen rush of technically incredible games like Max Payne 3, GTA V, etc. it’s a slightly fragile illusion, as there are a couple of bits on that second level in particular where if you look in the wrong direction, you can see behind the facade. Plus, some bits are super-linear and full of invisible walls. But it was an amazing achievement on 360, it looked next-gen and was technically really robust. 

On the 360 version of Halo 4, the only thing that really felt like a technical step backwards compared to the previous games was how soon weapons dropped by the player and enemies disappeared. I remember it being very unreliable whether a gun would still be there when you went back to it, even if you didn't walk very far away or turn away for long.

I wonder if that really was a compromise that had to be done in order to get the game to run well? Presumably a list of guns along with their location coordinates and ammo counts doesn't take up a significant amount of RAM compared to other things things the game has to cope with?

I can understand a GTA game needing to purge cars from memory, as there are lots of them and they all have complex physical interactions. But guns on the floor in a Halo game?

1 hour ago, K said:

It ran beautifully on the 360 - it was part of that late-gen rush of technically incredible games like Max Payne 3, GTA V, etc. it’s a slightly fragile illusion, as there are a couple of bits on that second level in particular where if you look in the wrong direction, you can see behind the facade. Plus, some bits are super-linear and full of invisible walls. But it was an amazing achievement on 360, it looked next-gen and was technically really robust. 

It’s still my favourite Halo in terms of visuals, every single mission offers up some spectacular concept art-like visual or fresh gimmick like the corpses and guns floating in zero g. They really sell the scale of being inside an entire planet, and later inside the planet within that planet. 

But then I’m firmly in the camp preferring dirtier, softer imagery when it comes to flares/grain/blur. They’ve pivoted back to extreme clarity due to the criticisms of Halo 4 and whilst I’m sure it’s technically better for eSports it’s much more boring aesthetically.

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

I wonder if that really was a compromise that had to be done in order to get the game to run well? Presumably a list of guns along with their location coordinates and ammo counts doesn't take up a significant amount of RAM compared to other things things the game has to cope with?

It'll be a miniscule amount of RAM to store the details, though the larger the number of items, the longer it can take to run through them to decide what to cull. Even then, it's not particularly costly.

More likely to me would be that the position of the weapons etc. isn't separated from the other game world objects in the scene you don't particularly care about, like physics objects that might have moved, bullet holes, and so forth. So when the game decides you're far enough away from a chunk that it can unload it to make room for the current stuff, the guns and corpses go with it.

Separating them is entirely possible, but it's a development effort that likely sits low down the priority list.

I see a lot of reviews for Halo 4 along the lines of “same old dog, same old tricks” but I’m two thirds of the way through it now, and besides the new enemies and weapons, the Mantis is freaking amazing! I hope it’s a vehicle that’s used more in future games!

That’s Halo 4 done, fantastic game! On to Halo 5 now, unfortunately it’s console only. On the bright side, it means I can play on my One X in my games room, or on the kids’ Series S while sitting on the couch - something I haven’t done for a long time!

• 3 months later...

In case anyone wasn't aware, the MCC got an update yesterday to add the Flood to firefight mode (along with a load of other UI and QoL updates). I only had time for a quick go yesterday, but it seemed really good fun - they haven't just enabled the Halo 3 Flood, they've added quite a bit of new stuff, like new flood types (shielded Elite combat forms), new Flood behaviours (they can now drive vehicles!), and new game mechanics (you fight alongside soldiers, civilians, and police officers, who can get resurrected by the flood after death). It's quite a substantial update - getting on for the sort of thing they could justifiably have charged for.

It's pretty amazing that the Master Chief Collection is getting new stuff before Halo Infinite.