Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Best served with a side order of Heroic or Legendary

Floex

Is the campaign of 4 fucked? I simply can’t progress in a certain mission ( the one that starts with you on a big vehicle) and if I save and quit it simply doesn’t work and crashes back to the opening screen. I think this kept happening in an earlier mission as well. 

I’ve now tried on 2 separate machines and it’s the same. 

7 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’ve just played through it last week and didn’t have any issues with that level. As Stanley has asked, where in the level are you that’s causing problems?

It’s different points. Don’t worry guys I am just going to play a mission at a time and then do the next one from quick start, just did the following mission and it was a blast! 

2 hours ago, sandman said:

Is the campaign of 4 fucked? I simply can’t progress in a certain mission ( the one that starts with you on a big vehicle) and if I save and quit it simply doesn’t work and crashes back to the opening screen. I think this kept happening in an earlier mission as well. 

I’ve now tried on 2 separate machines and it’s the same. 

I've had that trying to load my save on Reach. 

I played some halo 1 online the other night, I didn't realise they'd added in loads of new stuff that wasn't in the original! A flamethrower, loads of new maps, rocket launcher warthogs!

I am really impressed and even if Infinite turns out to be a bit naff I don't really care now because this is just wonderful.

1 hour ago, sandman said:

It’s different points. Don’t worry guys I am just going to play a mission at a time and then do the next one from quick start, just did the following mission and it was a blast! 

Definitely had issues with that level on Halo 4 before. Certain events don't seem to click in for some reason, although I played through the game a couple of days ago without any issue this time, so god knows exactly what causes it.

I’ve been flying the flag for Halo 4 for almost 10 years now (😱), so it’s nice to finally see it getting something of a reappraisal on here. I think it fell victim to a few different things back in the day (MS entering their shithead phase/felt like the franchise should have rested longer/loyalty to the original devs/hype was building for Destiny) but it’s always been a stonking game stuffed full of spectacular and imaginative set-pieces, along with far better characterisation than any of Bungie’s efforts. The penultimate mission on the asteroid belt is an all-timer, and the soundtrack is hugely underrated as well.

Everything about Halo 5 was a step backwards, IMO. In terms of campaign, at least. Aesthetically I much prefer the dirty, heavily post-processed look of 4 to the super clean look of 5, although ultimately how much of that was due to 343’s commitment to squeeze 1080/60 out of the Xbox One is hard to say.

Agree with all of that, 5 is technically speaking superior and some of the large battles are a sight to behold but aesthetically 4 is dead on - it really captures the right vibe, the scenery is like looking at art at times, however wanky that sounds. 

But it gives me hope that from what we’ve seen - no matter what people think of Infinite visually - it definitely looks like a step back away from 5 towards the earlier games. 

I think with 5 it can be quite unbalanced too, sometimes your team mates will kill everything making it comically easy and sometimes it’s a real struggle, on Heroic at least. Anyone tried it on Legendary? 

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Anyone tried it on Legendary? 

Yes. Solo Legendary is an absolute nightmare against the fucking Warden. I've completed them all on Legendary, so I had to do it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The only way through on Legendary is to take your time and kill absolutely everything to ensure you get regular checkpoints, but as @JPL pointed out, the boss fights are an utter pain in the arse. I think the first one is the worst of the lot, as you're in a relatively confined space, but to be honest, they're all a bit shit. Has there been a decent boss fight in any of the Halo games?

The only way to successfully play 5 solo is to inch your way around, head-shotting everything from miles away using ranged weapons. It’s pretty much the antithesis of the classic Halo combat loop, but due to the balancing for co-op there’s just too many enemies to reliably get away with anything else. 

The whole game would have been better as a solo experience if they’d just given players the option to disable the revive mechanic. Getting repeatedly downed by overwhelming hordes of enemies is one thing, but having to watch your dumb as shit AI teammates kamikaze themselves one by one every single time before respawning was painful and robbed it of any flow. 

41 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

The only way through on Legendary is to take your time and kill absolutely everything to ensure you get regular checkpoints, but as @JPL pointed out, the boss fights are an utter pain in the arse. I think the first one is the worst of the lot, as you're in a relatively confined space, but to be honest, they're all a bit shit. Has there been a decent boss fight in any of the Halo games?

Yeah, that first encounter with the Warden was painful. I had to replay it so many times to get my route nailed, but even then a lot of it was down to luck.

I’ve said this before, but I always remember moaning about it at the time and Angel telling me it was easily doable. Then I found out he’d not even played it on Legendary! 😂

That's Halo 4 done. Pretty good overall, although I didn't enjoy fighting the Prometheans very much. I suppose they wanted to do something different, but... meh.

And that's the Master Chief Collection (PC) finished! What an excellent collection of brilliant games. Even the less good ones are still brilliant. It's been lovely to replay the ones I'd played before and finally get around to the ones I hadn't, and finishing them all on Heroic is a pretty big achievement for me.

I don't have an Xbox, so I suppose if I wanted to play Halo 5 I would have to... stream it or something? xCloud to PC? Is that a thing I can do?

6 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

I don't have an Xbox, so I suppose if I wanted to play Halo 5 I would have to... stream it or something? xCloud to PC? Is that a thing I can do?

Yes you can do that now, to PC, tablet, phones etc. 

Halo 5 really hits its stride when you reach Sword of Sanghelios, to the point it’s almost a different game with big open spaces and massive combat, vehicles etc. They should have opened with that level. 

It’s absolutely gorgeous too with some lovely vistas, great lighting and skyboxes that match that of some of Bungie’s best. 

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Halo 5 really hits its stride when you reach Sword of Sanghelios, to the point it’s almost a different game with big open spaces and massive combat, vehicles etc. They should have opened with that level. 

It’s absolutely gorgeous too with some lovely vistas, great lighting and skyboxes that match that of some of Bungie’s best. 

It's such a pretty level isn't it? Halo 5 always surprises me with just how much I enjoy playing it. There's some distinctly meaty gunplay sounds in it, which really get my killer instincts going!

Just wish it would appear on PC. I don't know what the reasoning is that they don't bung the thing up on it really, but there we go.

Finished off Halo 5 (on Heroic) last night. Man they really drop the ball in the last mission or so, Warden Eternal, ugh, and just wave after wave of fights on that same Forerunner construct level, never could the term ‘cut and paste’ be more aptly applied. And straight after those excellent ‘Sword’ levels too. 

All in all though I enjoyed it hugely, I think I’ve only got ODST left of my current Halo re-runs, 4 and Reach have been real standouts. 

I'm really enjoying Warzone on Halo 5 - never thought I'd go back to a Halo multiplayer mode but it's excellent.  Getting me in the zone for Infinite's release. 

I agree with @Stanley about the last campaign level, reminded me of the quote "just one more dune to go" from Spaceballs.

I'm going to go for Reach next I think - I've done 1 through to 5 and I don't think I've ever played Reach before.

Is Halo 5 the only one that was released during the Xbox One's timespan (MCC excepted, obvs)?  Reach was for the 360, yes?

Also better check - ODST and Reach are both available on Game Pass as part of MCC, aren't they?

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Is Halo 5 the only one that was released during the Xbox One's timespan (MCC excepted, obvs)?  Reach was for the 360, yes?

Also better check - ODST and Reach are both available on Game Pass as part of MCC, aren't they?

Yeah,you get odst and reach in the MCC pack.

And yes - Halo 5 was the first and only XOne game.

It’s mad isn’t it that during the 360’s lifespan it had Halo 3, ODST, Reach, Halo 4 and Combat Evolved Remastered yet Xbox One just had the one, Halo 5. 

Think I might start ODST, how does it fare on Legendary, or should I just stick with Heroic? 

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

It’s mad isn’t it that during the 360’s lifespan it had Halo 3, ODST, Reach, Halo 4 and Combat Evolved Remastered yet Xbox One just had the one, Halo 5. 

Think I might start ODST, how does it fare on Legendary, or should I just stick with Heroic? 

There are a few moments that are hard, but ODST on Legendary is great fun.